Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 07:27 PM

357 posts, read 783,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Does it not affect society? Are Christians part of the society? Seeing moral parameters crumble affects some Christians, emotionally. Hence, that's affecting Christians. It also shows a huge lack of respect for moral standards, cultural inheritance, and people of faith.

no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 07:28 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Good point. I would be strongly in favor of evangelical Christians (or anyone else) having the right to opt out of the sale or purchase of alcohol on Sunday. That would be a step in the direction of smaller and less intrusive government.
The fact is, by allowing Sunday alcohol sales, you're basically saying that Christians have no say in the matter. Since Christians are a part of this society. Hey, culturally, our heritage is Christian. Western Civilization is of Christendom. To deny such is plain ludicrous. To thrush Christian influences out of the culture is to say that people of faith have no say in their government and the laws of the state. It's to say that your value system supercedes that of people of faith. Frankly, it doesn't.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomno00 View Post
no
I was rephrasing your question, to that which you emboldened.

However, alcohol is a drug. It's poison that dulls the senses, distracts the user, and results in more death than ANY DRUG.

It tastes like pure dung, too, metaphorically speaking.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
I'm well aware of the current restrictions and where they are in place, which has no beaing on the rediculousness of this issue. There are far too may people in this country acting like sheep. They need to wake up.
They're sheep for not desiring to drink crap? One that makes you less observant of your surroundings?

Yet, you call it "ridiculous" because some people don't support a drug that kills people, and actually wish to keep the Sabbath Holy.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:32 PM

705 posts, read 1,110,514 times
Quote:
In your opinion.

I find it silly that some of you are anti-tradition and anti-respect toward the evangelical Christian community, which I'd argue is at least half the population of Georgia, that you act in a condescending tone as though evangelicals represent some minor group, and that simply isn't true. You act as if your "pro-alcohol" argument is superior, and those who oppose Sunday sales, out of respect for moral standards relating to the Bible and tradition, is "silly".

Yet, you can purchase alcohol six days a week in grocery stores, and even seven days a week in some bars in certain municipalities. You act as though you're so slighted that you can't buy beer, a disgusting beverage, mind you, seven days a week. Boo-Hoo!

Your preference for purchasing alcohol (which you can do the vast amount of the time of the rest of the week) supercedes moral standards, tradition, and others opinion. You people WANT IT ALL. YOUR ENTIRE WAY, 24/7, and no one else, particularly the evangelical community, is allowed to have a say for one day of the week.

If you want beer on Sunday, purchase it on Saturday.
You're missing the whole point. There is no reason and no logic to sunday sales bans. This is a free country last time I checked. It maeks absolutely no sense to have the availability to purchase liquor all but one day a week. What makes sunday any different??? There are many folks who do not consider any particular day sacrosanct, or special, or any different from another day. The only reason there is a ban is due to the pressure and influence, either real or implied by religious organizations. THAT is the issue. It is no concern of mine what one's religious preferences are, but it should be everyone's concern when a government institutes unwarranted and unnecessary laws that have no useful purpose and are clearly unconstitutional.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
They're sheep for not desiring to drink crap? One that makes you less observant of your surroundings?

Yet, you call it "ridiculous" because some people don't support a drug that kills people, and actually wish to keep the Sabbath Holy.
They're sheep for accepting without any refusal what they should be rejecting. There is nothiging holy about a day, it's just another sunrise and sunset, people are going to do what they will, regardless of the day of the week.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:34 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
I was rephrasing your question, to that which you emboldened.

However, alcohol is a drug. It's poison that dulls the senses, distracts the user, and results in more death than ANY DRUG.

It tastes like pure dung, too, metaphorically speaking.
Then don't buy it- the law wont require you to buy it, just allow you to do so if you please Why should religious beliefs have anything to do with laws? What happened to "separation of church and state"??

Old 01-25-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
You're missing the whole point. There is no reason and no logic to sunday sales bans. This is a free country last time I checked. It maeks absolutely no sense to have the availability to purchase liquor all but one day a week. What makes sunday any different??? There are many folks who do not consider any particular day sacrosanct, or special, or any different from another day. The only reason there is a ban is due to the pressure and influence, either real or implied by religious organizations. THAT is the issue. It is no concern of mine what one's religious preferences are, but it should be everyone's concern when a government institutes unwarranted and unnecessary laws that have no useful purpose and are clearly unconstitutional.
The Founding Fathers, by and large, were Christians. In fact, the vast majority were. Many of them spoke that only a Godly people could uphold a constitutional republic form of government, and I think that they were correct.

Alcohol is a DRUG. It's not about limiting rights, etc. It's plain crap, bad for the mind and body. It's completely worthless, by and large. It should be banned.

Political Thought is what is not to be silenced. Silencing political thought is unconstitutional, not limiting access to a death agent drug.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
The Founding Fathers, by and large, were Christians. In fact, the vast majority were. Many of them spoke that only a Godly people could uphold a constitutional republic form of government, and I think that they were correct.

Alcohol is a DRUG. It's not about limiting rights, etc. It's plain crap, bad for the mind and body. It's completely worthless, by and large. It should be banned.

Political Thought is what is not to be silenced. Silencing political thought is unconstitutional, not limiting access to a death agent drug.
If alcoholic beverages were discovered today it would be classsified as a schedule I drug, like heroin, coke, meth, etc. But as it has been around since prehistoric times and widely used by the politicians who enaxcted this rediculous law, it isnt going away anytime soon. Again, you seem too hung up on religulous issues and your'e missing the whole point, which is government interference where it shouldn't be.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Then don't buy it- the law wont require you to buy it, just allow you to do so if you please Why should religious beliefs have anything to do with laws? What happened to "separation of church and state"??
Were the Founding Fathers Christians? Sure, a few weren't, but my study shows that the overwhelming majority were. These men of faith forged this country out of a wilderness. They set up the framework on which the laws were set. Yet, this isn't even a federal issue, it's a state and/or local issue, and it is clearly within the confines of the constitution for states and/or municipalities to make up their own laws on the subject.

People of faith have just as much a right to help set law and/or policy as anyone else. Since the government is the people, perhaps the entire issue should be set by way of referendum by the people of the state of Georgia, or perhaps community by community.

You must admit, alcohol is pure crap, with no redeeming qualities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta