Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 05:46 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,737,527 times

Advertisements

The problem is that all of the trees are being cut down to build more strip malls!
So we're actually a very cosMALLpolitan city of the South!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 07:49 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,121 times
In the spirit of trees we could use Fred Roger's "Tree Song"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H68OMQyar3Y

With my lyrics

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

pied-mont park
stone moun-tain
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

'quar-i-um
World of Coke
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

di-verse folk
gay friend-ly
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

E-mor-y
Geor-gia State
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

U-G-A
de-feats Tech
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

warm wea-ther
tor-na-does
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

hot sum-mers
A/C on
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

trans-port hub
traf-fic jams
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

busi-ness friend
right to work
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

Wood-ruff park
homeless camp
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

sub-urb malls
Mc-Man-sions
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

co-yo-tes
eat your pets
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

forests green
pollen count
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

Old 02-25-2011, 08:21 PM

187 posts, read 403,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The more I think about it, this branding/tagline is brilliant. It is definitely the way for Atlanta to go long-term.

I've always thought that Atlanta's identity is:

1. The Trees/Urban-Suburban Forest

2. Capital of the American South--Urban Manifestation of Southern Culture and Society.

3. Other sub-identities (Center for African-American Culture/Black Mecca, Center for Civil and Human Rights, and Civil War History).

I think "Atlanta: The City in a Forest" is the best overall identity that can incorporate most or all of the the other identities (see your posts above).

Here's another:

urban sophistication, southern style.
Atlanta: the city in a forest

We really can't go wrong with the city in a forest tagline/branding. It is true, it is original, and it fosters a tangible easily-identifiable identity (while including and without excluding other sub-identities).

It can be used in so many ways!
A couple of points why, imo, this branding is great:

1. Non-controversial/Non-Boastful/Understated
-In our society today, it seems like at least someone will have a problem with something. I know "Atlanta: Where everyday is an opening day" had many detractors, and honestly, I think it is one of the worst. People claimed "The next international city" sounded desperate and was factually premature. "The Big Peach" -- ugh, Posers anyone?

But who has a problem with trees? I think thats a pretty neutral subject. And it doesnt paint Atlanta as something it's trying to be, but as something it actually is. it focuses on the present, not the future.

2. Unique
-To be honest, Atlanta has been in the midst of an identity crisis for a long time. What identifies the city? What should the city be known for? What is truly unique about it? Does it want to be the New York of the South? Or does it want to be the LA of the east?

How about we just be Atlanta! Which is why the nickname is great, because it is something no other major city has (finally we wont be posers/spin offs) or can (it's unqiue to Atlanta) claim.

3. Accurate
No other major city in the nation can claim a tree coverage rate of 36%--the next highest is Boston at 29%, and the national average is 27%.

4. Tangible
-The branding would be something that you could actually match with an image, and keep pushing that image until it sticks. What image can you match with an opening day? That's too intangible.

5. Returns Atlanta to its Roots (pun intended)
-Before the whole Olympic hoopla, the city of trees was actually a very common nickname/identity for the city. While it has fallen off since 1990, I recently did some research in the library in books about Atlanta from the 1970s-80s era.

In all of the "travel guides" from the 70s and 80s era, they all mentioned Atlanta's trees.

Also, back in that era, it was very popular to publish pictorial books showcasing a city, with pretty picutres of all its nice areas (no negative shots included) and impressive skyscraper shots. An example is "Atlanta: Brave and Beautiful City", but most are just titled "Atlanta."

Anyway, one of the pictorial books titled "Atlanta" was published in 1985, by Jane Sobel. The introduction was by none other than Maynard Jackson, and the theme of his introduction? Trees.

Atlanta - Google Books

So obviously the nickname was widespread and well-known at one point.

Quote:
Which one do you like best (different lettering/punctuation)?

Atlanta: The City in a Forest

atlanta: the city in a forest

Atlanta
the city in a forest

atlanta
the city in a forest

Atlanta: the city in forest

Atlanta
The City in a Forest
I happen to like this lettering/style the best:

Atlanta
the city in a forest

But they are all great! Ultimately, I think we could find a font that has more of a "earthy" look to it, if that makes sense.

ATLANTA
the city in a forest

This is OK, but I think we could do better if we had a better font selection (Microsoft word isnt the best for font selection).

Quote:
When including "other things/attractions," what you think of something like this (each one is different based on upper case/lower case lettering)?
Peachtree Street

Where skyscrapers sprout among trees

Diversity in plant & people

The Perfect Climate for human, plant, and business habitation

Take a stroll through our canopy

Come See Hawks, Thrashers, and Falcons in their Natural Habitat

I am interested to know more of your opinions and ideas.

Love it!

Sorry for such a novel of a post. Stuck in an airport on a friday night will do that to you!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:24 PM

187 posts, read 403,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
In the spirit of trees we could use Fred Roger's "Tree Song"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H68OMQyar3Y

With my lyrics

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

pied-mont park
stone moun-tain
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

'quar-i-um
World of Coke
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

di-verse folk
gay friend-ly
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

E-mor-y
Geor-gia State
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

U-G-A
de-feats Tech
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

warm wea-ther
tor-na-does
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

hot sum-mers
A/C on
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

trans-port hub
traf-fic jams
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

busi-ness friend
right to work
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

Wood-ruff park
homeless camp
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

sub-urb malls
Mc-Man-sions
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

co-yo-tes
eat your pets
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree

forests green
pollen count
At-lan-ta
in the woods

tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
tree tree tree
Love it! However, is there any way we could replace some of the negative lyrics?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:32 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,099,518 times
Adlanner: Fo shizzle.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:19 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,531,430 times
Atlanta
"We have more malls than you"

Old 03-26-2011, 07:08 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post
A couple of points why, imo, this branding is great:

1. Non-controversial/Non-Boastful/Understated
-In our society today, it seems like at least someone will have a problem with something. I know "Atlanta: Where everyday is an opening day" had many detractors, and honestly, I think it is one of the worst. People claimed "The next international city" sounded desperate and was factually premature. "The Big Peach" -- ugh, Posers anyone?

But who has a problem with trees? I think thats a pretty neutral subject. And it doesnt paint Atlanta as something it's trying to be, but as something it actually is. it focuses on the present, not the future.

2. Unique
-To be honest, Atlanta has been in the midst of an identity crisis for a long time. What identifies the city? What should the city be known for? What is truly unique about it? Does it want to be the New York of the South? Or does it want to be the LA of the east?

How about we just be Atlanta! Which is why the nickname is great, because it is something no other major city has (finally we wont be posers/spin offs) or can (it's unqiue to Atlanta) claim.

3. Accurate
No other major city in the nation can claim a tree coverage rate of 36%--the next highest is Boston at 29%, and the national average is 27%.

4. Tangible
-The branding would be something that you could actually match with an image, and keep pushing that image until it sticks. What image can you match with an opening day? That's too intangible.

5. Returns Atlanta to its Roots (pun intended)
-Before the whole Olympic hoopla, the city of trees was actually a very common nickname/identity for the city. While it has fallen off since 1990, I recently did some research in the library in books about Atlanta from the 1970s-80s era.

In all of the "travel guides" from the 70s and 80s era, they all mentioned Atlanta's trees.

Also, back in that era, it was very popular to publish pictorial books showcasing a city, with pretty picutres of all its nice areas (no negative shots included) and impressive skyscraper shots. An example is "Atlanta: Brave and Beautiful City", but most are just titled "Atlanta."

Anyway, one of the pictorial books titled "Atlanta" was published in 1985, by Jane Sobel. The introduction was by none other than Maynard Jackson, and the theme of his introduction? Trees.

Atlanta - Google Books

So obviously the nickname was widespread and well-known at one point.

I happen to like this lettering/style the best:

Atlanta
the city in a forest

But they are all great! Ultimately, I think we could find a font that has more of a "earthy" look to it, if that makes sense.

ATLANTA
the city in a forest

This is OK, but I think we could do better if we had a better font selection (Microsoft word isnt the best for font selection).

Love it!

Sorry for such a novel of a post. Stuck in an airport on a friday night will do that to you!

We really can't go wrong with trees/city in a forest as Atlanta's identity, signature feature, and tagline.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:40 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,735,054 times
I love this idea for rebranding Atlanta "The City in a Forest"

And actually, the bird themes for Atlanta teams was supposed to tie to the city's symbol being a Phoenix which is a bird.
Though the Thrashers are gone now, the Thrasher is the GA State bird.

In a Georgia History class I once took, I was taught that Atlanta's original symbol was a bird. If I remember right, it was a bird flying over fields of farm land symbolizing Atlanta's spirit. After Atlanta was burned to the ground, later a new symbol became the Phoenix, because like that bird that was burned, yet rose from the ashes, reborn as a phoenix, Atlanta also rose from the ashes and was reborn to be better than ever before. That is how the bird theme ties in to Atlanta. And remember, at one time (back in the 70s) there was actually a push to rename the Atlanta Braves to the Eagles or some other type of bird to fit in with Atlanta's bird theme.

This theme does go perfect for rebranding Atlanta "City in the Forest"

Also, I think if Atlanta goes in that direction, it would be nice to see the city work Botanical Gardens and other parks to extend "Canopy walk" far outside of Botanical Gardens and to other areas. OR, even include canopy walks along the Beltline so that Beltline goers can walk amongst the treetops there as well...

I also imagined once, building a cap over the Downtown Connector from 5th Street Bridge to the 14th Street Bridge, and covering it in open parks and plazas, but now I'm thinking it would be nice to build the cap, and instead of have it as open park space, make it heavily wooded park space (with planted trees of course...).
Imagine it being nothing but ruler straight rows of planted dogwood and cherry blossom trees along that 0.7 mile stretch over the freeway, allowing people to walk through what would be a miniature forest of all white trees in the Spring time, all orange & red trees in the fall, and all green trees in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta