Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 01:32 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I saw this thread but it got old so I didn't response but now...... Dude metro Atlanta is known for being hilly and even if you wanted to say Atlanta is not as hilly as another metro, saying Atlanta is flat still is way over the top exaggeration. If Atlanta is flat what is most major metros in country are then?

The region that all of metro Atlanta is in, is call the Piedmont "pied mont' meaning foot hills. Again even if your trying to say Atlanta is not as hilly as another city is, saying Atlanta is flat... is still way over the top exaggeration. Dallas is flat, Houston is flat Atlanta is no where remotely close to flat.
Oh yeah, those places are truly flat but in Atlanta, when I look out from a somewhat elevated place in a building, the only noticeable land forms are Stone Mountain and Kennesaw Mountain.

stone mountain ga - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 02:51 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Oh yeah, those places are truly flat but in Atlanta, when I look out from a somewhat elevated place in a building, the only noticeable land forms are Stone Mountain and Kennesaw Mountain.

I's confused?????

Old 03-20-2012, 03:21 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
I's confused?????
Yup.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:06 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:

Oh yeah....... you snip my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Pennsylvania huh?

As I was saying not only is all of the metro Atlanta area is on the Piedmont. But Barrow, Bartow, Carroll, Cherokee, Dawson, Douglas, Forsyth, Gwinnett, Hall, Paulding, Pickens are consider Appalachia to the Appalachian Regional Commission. Atlanta has 2 million people in Appalachia considering the metro is growing northward the most. Northern metro Atlanta is going to pass the entire metro Pittsburgh population which is ironic.

Counties in Appalachia - Appalachian Regional Commission

Um ok The burj khalifa makes the other skyscrapers look tiny. Metro Atlanta isn't close to flat Atlanta, it's ones of hilliest metros in the country. All you see from a top on of Stone Mountain is the forest canopy you can't if there hills or not unless they're the size of kennesaw or something. Stone Mountain and Kennesaw Mountain are not even the biggest in the region also. Metro Atlanta actually have more major hills and mountains then the Pittsburgh region does. Since your using to Google map hit Google earth go the surface please.

Atlanta - Google Maps

The Pittsburgh region has 86
Allegheny County Mountain Peaks & Summits (1)
Armstrong County Mountain Peaks & Summits (4)
Beaver County Mountain Peaks & Summits (4)
Butler County Mountain Peaks & Summits (2)
Fayette County Mountain Peaks & Summits (33)
Washington County Mountain Peaks & Summits (12)
Westmoreland County Mountain Peaks & Summits (29)
Lawrence County Mountain Peaks & Summits (6)
The Atlanta region has 133
Bartow County Mountain Peaks & Summits (38)
Carroll County Mountain Peaks & Summits (2)
Cherokee County Mountain Peaks & Summits (9)
Dawson County Mountain Peaks & Summits (7)
DeKalb County Mountain Peaks & Summits (6)
Douglas County Mountain Peaks & Summits (3)
Forsyth County Mountain Peaks & Summits (2)
Fulton County Mountain Peaks & Summits (1)
Gwinnett County Mountain Peaks & Summits (4)
Hall County Mountain Peaks & Summits (5)
Heard County Mountain Peaks & Summits (1)
Jasper County Mountain Peaks & Summits (1)
Newton County Mountain Peaks & Summits (1)
Pickens County Mountain Peaks & Summits (22)
Paulding County Mountain Peaks & Summits (5)
Pike County Mountain Peaks & Summits (2)
Rockdale County Mountain Peaks & Summits (2)
Spalding County Mountain Peaks & Summits (1)
Upson County Mountain Peaks & Summits (17)
Walton County Mountain Peaks & Summits (3)

Old 03-02-2013, 04:51 PM

666 posts, read 1,290,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Yes, I have been to the West Coast. But I believe this conversation was about Atlanta GEORGIA, not Atlanta CALIFORNIA. Georgia is on the EAST coast, not the WEST coast, and nowhere on the EAST coast is there mountains in relative proximity to the coast.

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO THE EAST COAST?!

If this was a discussion proposing picking up Atlanta and putting it anywhere, why not just ask, "What if Atlanta were in Europe" or "What if Atlanta were in South America."

Nice try.

WRONG!

Maine has some mountains very close to the ocean, in fact part of the Maine's coastland is high above the beach. And Maine, if I remember, is in the east coast.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:56 AM

23,444 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Wouldn't surprise me. I didn't think it was possible but an engineer assured me it was.

It gets hillier as you go north from downtown. But I'm from Pennsylvania so it takes a lot to convince me that an area is hilly. To me, Atlanta is pretty flat.
Drive the length of Amsterdam Avenue sometime and then tell me that Atlanta is flat.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:16 AM

858 posts, read 1,384,895 times
LOL... you guys (most from a year ago) will debate anything

Atlanta doesn't fall on either extreme. San Francisco is hilly. Asheville is hilly. Atlanta just has some changes in terrain (except as you go up toward Kennessaw).

Old 03-03-2013, 11:50 AM

16,680 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Atlanta is hilly.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:58 PM

23,444 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
LOL... you guys (most from a year ago) will debate anything

Atlanta doesn't fall on either extreme. San Francisco is hilly. Asheville is hilly. Atlanta just has some changes in terrain (except as you go up toward Kennessaw).
So you make a patronizing comment about our debate on Atlanta's hilliness, and then immediately jump into the debate. I am amused.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:34 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
I road on some beautiful hills today around Powers Ferry Rd/Northside Parkway area. It's so beautiful in that area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta