Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 10:53 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,259,011 times

Advertisements

Sorry, my deleted post had to do with the floating city. I love that idea...but it looks like Manhattan!

Also, just FYI, Lousiana's port status is what it is due to the fact that the port of New Orleans was settled early AND the Mississippi River is our largest river. It's totally makes sense that the mouth of the biggest river in the US, that of the Missouri/Mississippi River complex, would mean that it's THE biggest port in the US.

So, dont' try to compare Georgia to Louisiana when it comes to ports...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 11:59 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,428 times
I would love it. I really wish there was a water feature here.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:26 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Atlanta by the Sea, what a thought. This is why I am pulling for global warming and not paying heed to my carbon footprint. When the polar ice caps melt, will inherit seaside property in Meriwether County.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:47 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,614 times
It would be a hell of a lot more conducive to surfing, which I have always wanted to take up. The Euclid Avenue Yacht Club might actually be a real Yacht Club.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:22 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,079,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Except that the Port of New Orleans is the 5th largest port in the US.
Isn't Savannah larger now? I thought it was #4.

The data on Wikipedia is somewhat out of date (2004), and it still shows the Twin Ports of Duluth MN and Superior WI as being larger than Savannah.

That is no longer true, and I was politely corrected in the relatively long and interesting Minnesota versus Georgia thread on C-D's City versus City forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/15813771-post887.html

Old 02-02-2011, 10:52 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,984,814 times
Whenever we're talking about ports, there are a number of different ways to measure. Tonnage is only one.

Value of goods coming over the wharf is a crucial measure. Expensive goods tend to require expensive distribution systems and more labor to handle. And they bring more revenue per unit of weight to the ports.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:04 AM

396 posts, read 601,435 times
ports on the gulf tend to take in huge amounts of tonnage but most of it is raw materials, especially crude oil/chemicals.

savannah's port is the 4th busiest container port.

oh and plessthanpointohfive - it's atlanta in a futurama episode. (lost city of atlanta)

Old 02-02-2011, 05:22 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
I would love it. I really wish there was a water feature here.
We came close. About 20 years ago there was talk of building a series of locks on the Chattahoochee to make it navigable all the way to Atlanta. The hope was to create a "Port of Atlanta" and give us another dimension of commerce, barge traffic. The Chattahoochee is navigable to Columbus but it's not used much as a transportation route today.

Conceivably, we could dam the Chattahoochee to create Lake Atlanta as was done 60 years ago to make Lake Lanier. But it would be tough politically, environmentally and practically. Back then less fighting over water with Alabama and Florida, fewer people to displace, and no EPA!

Old 02-02-2011, 05:46 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Why is Atlanta the logistics hub that it is? Proximity to Savannah's port. Why is Savannah's port 4th-busiest in the nation and fastest growing on the Eastern Seaboard? Proximity to Atlanta's distribution network. The two are unilaterallly mutual. Other than not having a "beach" (a questionable asset to some) Atlanta's not being on an ocean has zero relevance.
Atlanta's hub status is being at the intersection of rail lines and later interstates. Somewhat arbitrary rather than an inherit advantage. I don't know if Atlanta's location is ideal for an air hub but probably good. Delta wanted to put its hub in Birmingham but B'ham dropped the ball and Atlanta got it. From there it's sort of success breeding success.

Savannah is 250 miles away and while a port for a long time, Georgia recently took serious steps to significantly improve Savannah's port. I'm sure Atlanta is part of it but Savannah has its own collection of distribution centers.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:18 PM

3 posts, read 5,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
But it is interesting in a way that Atlanta has done so well. Most cities are located next to large bodies of navigable waters or navigable rivers.
Most of the cities along the I-85 corridor have developed this way with no nearby navigable waterways. i.e. Greenville, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Raleigh they all have that in common.

Look at it this way! Which Ocean.

Indian Ocean = Third World Country
Arctic = frozen wasteland
Pacific = ?
the more logical by name association
Atlantic = Chicago do to the amount of rail, interstate traffic "cargo" and the busy airport is what Atlanta would most likely be today. Thats only assuming Atlanta has the same infrastructure it has today if not it would be New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta