Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:05 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,542,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I think there is a need however, to differentiate between someone who is "homeless" and someone who is a "bum".

Atlanta doesn't really have a disproportionate number of homeless people for a city/metro of this size. Those who are have a number of groups that can and do help them if they want it. Atlanta does however, have a disproportionate number of bums downtown, who do not want any real help.
Exactly. I seriously doubt every single person who asks me for money is homeless. I get hit up every other day it seems whenever I stop for gas or groceries and nowhere near downtown. I actually miss the panhandlers in NYC. At least a lot of them tried to entertain you rather than creep you out.

They always seem to either ask for "change" or some random amount like $.65 or something like that. What's up with that?

Old 02-01-2011, 11:19 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,274,499 times
I've traveled the world and Atlanta has a LOT less homeless, or bums, than places like Bangkok, Guatemala City, or Ha Noi, or Johannesburg.

As a resident of an intown neighborhood I can say for sure that we have a couple of neighborhood bum. There's the guy selling roses at Little 5 Package. I usually just buy him a fifth of whiskey. There's the guy that likes to walk backwards up and down McLendon Ave...but he never talks to anyone. There's the woman who when she sees you will immediately start in on how she just lost her job and she's pregnant, etc, but considering how she's 60 and everyone knows her we all just give her a burrito and a coupla a bucks and send her on her way.

But I can't see how this is a PROBLEM.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:06 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,040,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I've traveled the world and Atlanta has a LOT less homeless, or bums, than places like Bangkok, Guatemala City, or Ha Noi, or Johannesburg.

As a resident of an intown neighborhood I can say for sure that we have a couple of neighborhood bum. There's the guy selling roses at Little 5 Package. I usually just buy him a fifth of whiskey. There's the guy that likes to walk backwards up and down McLendon Ave...but he never talks to anyone. There's the woman who when she sees you will immediately start in on how she just lost her job and she's pregnant, etc, but considering how she's 60 and everyone knows her we all just give her a burrito and a coupla a bucks and send her on her way.

Because the people who are making this threads have never been anywhere or they just want to complain about something IMO

Old 02-02-2011, 05:17 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,450,406 times
Quote:
Is that really a group of cities that we should be proud to be doing better than? Not exactly a list of "world class" locales.......

Old 02-02-2011, 06:05 AM

439 posts, read 854,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I think there is a need however, to differentiate between someone who is "homeless" and someone who is a "bum".

Atlanta doesn't really have a disproportionate number of homeless people for a city/metro of this size. Those who are have a number of groups that can and do help them if they want it. Atlanta does however, have a disproportionate number of bums downtown, who do not want any real help.

Thank you for bringing an intelligent remark to the thread

Old 02-02-2011, 06:07 AM

439 posts, read 854,489 times
Quote:

Yes let us compare world cities with cities in the U.S. World cities in countries considered to be emergents or under development at that...

Old 02-02-2011, 06:08 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,274,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Is that really a group of cities that we should be proud to be doing better than? Not exactly a list of "world class" locales.......
I'd have to disagree with you in regards to Bangkok, Ha Noi, and Johannesburg.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:32 AM

124 posts, read 400,489 times
I've traveled all over Europe, and I find the pickpocketers and purse snatchers there much more annoying than our bums. At least our guys ask you for money and don't just try to forcibly take it!

Old 02-02-2011, 06:44 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,276,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
I've seen homeless people in NYC (but not too bad - nothing like here) and from what I remember a couple of years ago, it was pretty bad in San Francisco - that was probably the worst I've seen it. Pretty much any decent sized city is going to have homeless people and panhandlers, but in Atlanta it seems to be a bigger issue. I'm not sure if it has to do with race or what it is really (99.9% of the homeless, crackhead vagrants, and panhandlers are black here and the majority of our city is run by African Americans). We need a "Rudy Giuliani" like Mayor to clean up this city and I don't care if they aren't politically correct about it... just my opinion.

I've also heard some cities "ship" the homeless down here? I don't know how true that is, but if so, I wouldn't mind a couple of my tax dollars shipping them somewhere else, like to Birmingham.
It most definetely is a racial thing and has been for a LONG time. Anytime someone talks about dealing with the aggressive panhandlers or the homelessness in general a coalition of Black clergy run to their defense and pressure City Hall and the City Council. The thing that I dont understand about the Black clergy is what is in it for them to keep our downtown area filled with the homeless. I highly doubt said panhandlers and the homeless are attending ANY of their congregations on Sunday morning or contributing to their coffers.

Last edited by suprascooby22; 02-02-2011 at 06:53 AM..

Old 02-02-2011, 07:04 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,903,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
It most definetely is a racial thing and has been for a LONG time. Anytime someone talks about dealing with the aggressive panhandlers or the homelessness in general a coalition of Black clergy run to their defense and pressure City Hall and the City Council. The thing that I dont understand about the Black clergy is what is in it for them to keep our downtown area filled with the homeless. I highly doubt said panhandlers and the homeless are attending ANY of their congregations on Sunday morning or contributing to their coffers.
Oh, probably a little thing about Jesus and His message. Like that's more important than numbers and money. Just a wild guess!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta