Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 07:52 AM

32,035 posts, read 36,878,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Atlanta doesn't really have a disproportionate number of homeless people for a city/metro of this size. Those who are have a number of groups that can and do help them if they want it. Atlanta does however, have a disproportionate number of bums downtown, who do not want any real help.

So true, although in these days and times we're probably going to need a lot more resources to get homeless people back on their feet.

The bums and aggressive panhandlers are a different matter. I love our city but I don't like that AT ALL. These people need to be arrested immediately and shipped to Cobb or Forsyth County.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:33 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,130,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
So true, although in these days and times we're probably going to need a lot more resources to get homeless people back on their feet.

The bums and aggressive panhandlers are a different matter. I love our city but I don't like that AT ALL. These people need to be arrested immediately and shipped to Cobb or Forsyth County.
Ship 'em to Kennesaw. The locals could use the target practice.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:42 PM

3 posts, read 5,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
I've seen homeless people in NYC (but not too bad - nothing like here) and from what I remember a couple of years ago, it was pretty bad in San Francisco - that was probably the worst I've seen it. Pretty much any decent sized city is going to have homeless people and panhandlers, but in Atlanta it seems to be a bigger issue.
Thats because Atlanta removed the projects that could have been used to wearhouse some of those folks and made it less of a nuisance.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:00 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,861,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Because the people who are making this threads have never been anywhere or they just want to complain about something IMO
I thought it was just a simple question...

Old 02-03-2011, 08:28 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,274,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Oh, probably a little thing about Jesus and His message. Like that's more important than numbers and money. Just a wild guess!
Right because many of these black preachers and their "prosperity gospel" have NOTHING to do with the almighty dollar. Seems as if Jesus is the last thing many of the race panderers care about.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
It most definetely is a racial thing and has been for a LONG time. Anytime someone talks about dealing with the aggressive panhandlers or the homelessness in general a coalition of Black clergy run to their defense and pressure City Hall and the City Council. The thing that I dont understand about the Black clergy is what is in it for them to keep our downtown area filled with the homeless. I highly doubt said panhandlers and the homeless are attending ANY of their congregations on Sunday morning or contributing to their coffers.
Aren't there a lot of white clergy sticking up for the homeless, too?

Old 02-03-2011, 11:38 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,274,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Aren't there a lot of white clergy sticking up for the homeless, too?
Not that I have seen and I have lived here my entire life. If you have seen some white clergy defending agressive panhandlers and homelessness in general please let me know.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Not that I have seen and I have lived here my entire life. If you have seen some white clergy defending agressive panhandlers and homelessness in general please let me know.
I don't know of any white clergy sticking up for aggressive panhandlers either. It's possible there could be some but I can't say so personally.

It's different with the homeless, however. I know some predominantly white churches headed up by white pastors who do a lot of good work with the homeless.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:23 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,846,953 times
Its the saem homeless people that I saw last year and the year before. they dont travel past downtown. So its not like its a growing problem. Its the same problem that just needs to be fixed.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:47 PM

217 posts, read 409,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Tracker View Post
Thats because Atlanta removed the projects that could have been used to wearhouse some of those folks and made it less of a nuisance.
Warehousing is for stuff, not people. The "toss all the poor people together in a few places" strategy had a long run and it didn't tend to change people's lives for the better.

Besides that, don't the elderly, people with disabilities and poor single parents get first priority for public housing or Section 8 vouchers? A young-ish, single man without some severe physical disability could probably die of old age on the waiting list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta