Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 11:59 PM

349 posts, read 782,749 times

Advertisements

I carry Monopoly money and just give them that. Seriously though when I worked downtown I got tired of dealing with bums every morning on my way to work. I ended up just flat out ignoring anyone who tried to talk to me on the street. Some of these people are mentally ill so it's not always their fault. Anyways, I think a Guliani style mayor and clean up would be a good idea as someone else mentioned.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:18 PM

614 posts, read 1,105,853 times
Seriously Atlanta, what is going on with your homeless problem? I was heading downtown to take care of some business for a possible job. Well, during my drive down to the place, I saw what must've been hundreds of homeless people. Mind you, I've been downtown many, many, many times. But it looks like it is getting worse. Also, and it could just be me, why does it appears that Buckhead has no homeless problems but downtown and even midtown has some issues?

Old 05-08-2013, 12:00 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,254,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
Seriously Atlanta, what is going on with your homeless problem? I was heading downtown to take care of some business for a possible job. Well, during my drive down to the place, I saw what must've been hundreds of homeless people. Mind you, I've been downtown many, many, many times. But it looks like it is getting worse. Also, and it could just be me, why does it appears that Buckhead has no homeless problems but downtown and even midtown has some issues?
Peachtree-Pine shelter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-08-2013, 02:41 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,463,280 times
Yeah it is getting pretty bad. Some homeless people look very bad and disoriented, even to the point of death at any moment. This is a big time problem for the City of Atlanta. Just providing a shelter is not enough, but major mental help is needed. However for those who are homeless, but hang out in the park playing chess and being idle, no pity at all for them. It seem like some need major help, but others choose to idle and sleep, and look for free services provided by a shelter. Those that can work should be the target, while the other half get the mental help they need.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:05 AM

894 posts, read 1,328,386 times
Go to San Diego it's far worst.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:14 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,233,768 times
People think of the so-called bums they see milling about as the only people making up Atlanta's growing homeless problem and that's just not true. Yes many of these people are on drugs or are mentally ill.

But another segment making up the growing homeless population in Atlanta (especially since the recession) are skilled or educated, degreed people who simply couldn't find work who otherwise aren't mentally ill or chemically dependent. I've never met so many educated, homeless people before in my life before living in Atlanta--mostly women with children or but also couples with children. People who want to work and want to pay rent but can't because they either couldn't find work or couldn't find work that paid enough to pay rent. These are often black people who moved to Atlanta because they were told of all the opportunities that were here and cheaper cost of living. They didn't find all these opportunities once they got here and ended up homeless as a result. Unfortunately a lot of black people are told Atlanta is the land of milk and honey for them and many end up having a rude awakening. Then you have the people who didn't recover after losing their jobs during the recession and can't afford housing.

I have a friend who works in a program that assists Atlanta's homeless families in a certain neighborhood and you will be surprised how many educated people or people who want to work are homeless because they are either unemployed or underemployed, or had a major illness and medical costs wiped them out. I've also witnessed homelessness among my educated friends and associates. They don't look like the bums you see on the street because they aren't bums and look like regular people. They may be in shelters or living out of their cars but these people make up Atlanta's homeless problem too.

There's a stigma attached to homelessness that everyone who is is a lazy bum, crackhead or mentally ill and this isn't always the case.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:19 AM

402 posts, read 704,954 times
Close the shelters, they're like magnets.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:12 AM

421 posts, read 751,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
People think of the so-called bums they see milling about as the only people making up Atlanta's growing homeless problem and that's just not true. Yes many of these people are on drugs or are mentally ill.

But another segment making up the growing homeless population in Atlanta (especially since the recession) are skilled or educated, degreed people who simply couldn't find work who otherwise aren't mentally ill or chemically dependent. I've never met so many educated, homeless people before in my life before living in Atlanta--mostly women with children or but also couples with children. People who want to work and want to pay rent but can't because they either couldn't find work or couldn't find work that paid enough to pay rent. These are often black people who moved to Atlanta because they were told of all the opportunities that were here and cheaper cost of living. They didn't find all these opportunities once they got here and ended up homeless as a result. Unfortunately a lot of black people are told Atlanta is the land of milk and honey for them and many end up having a rude awakening. Then you have the people who didn't recover after losing their jobs during the recession and can't afford housing.

I have a friend who works in a program that assists Atlanta's homeless families in a certain neighborhood and you will be surprised how many educated people or people who want to work are homeless because they are either unemployed or underemployed, or had a major illness and medical costs wiped them out. I've also witnessed homelessness among my educated friends and associates. They don't look like the bums you see on the street because they aren't bums and look like regular people. They may be in shelters or living out of their cars but these people make up Atlanta's homeless problem too.

There's a stigma attached to homelessness that everyone who is is a lazy bum, crackhead or mentally ill and this isn't always the case.

Get out of here with that .

There aren't droves of educated black people moving to Atlanta because of the media and then becoming homeless because they can't find work. That is silly. If they could not find work and things got that bad they could have just went back to where they came from. Why stay here and be homeless? This post looks suspiciously ludicrous.

Last edited by Freeminds; 05-08-2013 at 07:49 AM..

Old 05-08-2013, 07:14 AM

421 posts, read 751,159 times
I'd also like to know where the media is hyping this city. I don't watch much TV but where is Atlanta advertised in the last 5 years as the land of milk and honey for blacks or anybody? I am not talking about the 90s or early 2000s either. Post vide or ad or something.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:38 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,233,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post

Get out of here with that .

There aren't droves of educated black people moving to Atlanta because of the media and then becoming homeless because they can't find work. That is silly. If they could not find work and things got that bad they could have just went back to where they came from. Why stay here and be homeless? This post looks suspiciously ludicrous.
Where did I say anything about the media? Nowhere! But the reality is that since the Olympics, legend has been built around Atlanta being a Black Mecca--the place for black people to come here to succeed, get jobs and buy homes. This is spread by other blacks not the media. And while Atlanta has had a strong black middle class, things have changed, especially with the recession.

I have known dozens upon dozens of black people who have moved here because they were told by other blacks that they could do better here than in the other major cities they came from and what they end up getting is low-paying work (less than what they were making before they moved here) often making minimum wage or at most $10 an hour with their college education, and they struggle; and I have personally known many blacks who have come here looking for the black American dream and ended up homeless, and I have heard countless stories of this happening to other blacks that I don't know personally. You don't have to agree with me or like what I say but it's the truth and it has and does happen. Most of the black people I know who have gone through homeless or constant job losses and underemployment in Atlanta have since left and are making great salaries where ever they went to.

I have at least four friends with degrees who became homeless here because they couldn't find jobs.

I used work with a girl who went to Spelman. She was telling me how one of her former school mates moved here with her mom and they were living in their car. One of my friends with her Master's was living out her car and was in and out of shelters with her child because she simply couldn't decent-paying work. This happens more than people realize. Don't shoot the messenger.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 05-08-2013 at 09:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta