Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2011, 04:28 PM
 
Location: 30312
2,437 posts, read 3,855,866 times
Reputation: 2014

Advertisements

I've lived in various parts of metro Atlanta (from the west end to lithonia and various locations in between) since i was in second grade. But as long as i can remember, homelessness has always had a permeating presence in the city. From when i was a little boy going to the auc with my dad for his grad classes, to my being a teenager kicking it downtown at five points and the CNN center, to my college years at GSU, to my young adult years around midtown, L5P, grant park, and east atlanta, I'd always just accepted and adapted to the presence of homelessness, vagrancy, and panhandling in various portions of Atlanta.

However, since I've only spent very little time living outside of the Atlanta area (a couple of years in Florida in the mid '90's and early 2000's) do you think that homelessness is just as big of an issue in most other major cities, or is Atlanta's homelessness problems more severe than in other metropolises?

Just wondering...

 
Old 02-01-2011, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
969 posts, read 1,960,927 times
Reputation: 625
I've seen homeless people in NYC (but not too bad - nothing like here) and from what I remember a couple of years ago, it was pretty bad in San Francisco - that was probably the worst I've seen it. Pretty much any decent sized city is going to have homeless people and panhandlers, but in Atlanta it seems to be a bigger issue. I'm not sure if it has to do with race or what it is really (99.9% of the homeless, crackhead vagrants, and panhandlers are black here and the majority of our city is run by African Americans). We need a "Rudy Giuliani" like Mayor to clean up this city and I don't care if they aren't politically correct about it... just my opinion.

I've also heard some cities "ship" the homeless down here? I don't know how true that is, but if so, I wouldn't mind a couple of my tax dollars shipping them somewhere else, like to Birmingham.
 
Old 02-01-2011, 04:49 PM
 
357 posts, read 784,203 times
Reputation: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
I've seen homeless people in NYC (but not too bad - nothing like here) and from what I remember a couple of years ago, it was pretty bad in San Francisco - that was probably the worst I've seen it. Pretty much any decent sized city is going to have homeless people and panhandlers, but in Atlanta it seems to be a bigger issue. I'm not sure if it has to do with race or what it is really (99.9% of the homeless, crackhead vagrants, and panhandlers are black here and the majority of our city is run by African Americans). We need a "Rudy Giuliani" like Mayor to clean up this city and I don't care if they aren't politically correct about it... just my opinion.

I agree 100%
 
Old 02-01-2011, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Atlanta - Midtown
749 posts, read 887,969 times
Reputation: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
I've seen homeless people in NYC (but not too bad - nothing like here) and from what I remember a couple of years ago, it was pretty bad in San Francisco - that was probably the worst I've seen it. Pretty much any decent sized city is going to have homeless people and panhandlers, but in Atlanta it seems to be a bigger issue. I'm not sure if it has to do with race or what it is really (99.9% of the homeless, crackhead vagrants, and panhandlers are black here and the majority of our city is run by African Americans). We need a "Rudy Giuliani" like Mayor to clean up this city and I don't care if they aren't politically correct about it... just my opinion.

I've also heard some cities "ship" the homeless down here? I don't know how true that is, but if so, I wouldn't mind a couple of my tax dollars shipping them somewhere else, like to Birmingham.

Sounds good to me!
 
Old 02-01-2011, 07:06 PM
 
876 posts, read 2,280,268 times
Reputation: 266
I've lived in several large cities over the years, homelessness is pervasive in most large cities anywhere.

The homeless are rather visible in downtown Atlanta. You see them sometimes along major interstate exits, too. I see the same people, too. I even recognize a few.

I say continue to support the few shelters there are that help such people, but how to resolve the issue, not sure if that is possible. I personally never give to panhandlers, but I do contribute to shelters and for me, that is how I help, even if it is just a little.
 
Old 02-01-2011, 07:40 PM
 
Location: ATL
4,688 posts, read 8,027,782 times
Reputation: 1804
I see you never been to LA, DC, NYC, Chicago, San Fran, etc

Only reason it seems bad is because they are mostly in downtown...
 
Old 02-01-2011, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
969 posts, read 1,960,927 times
Reputation: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I see you never been to LA, DC, NYC, Chicago, San Fran, etc

Only reason it seems bad is because they are mostly in downtown...
I have been to all of those places - your point? It doesn't eliminate the fact we have a lot of homeless people Downtown and I've seen a few wondering around Midtown and Buckhead (twitching I might add)... and yes, that is a problem. Do you think it's a good thing??? Downtown Atlanta has a lot of potential if we could cut down on the bums, crackheads and panhandlers.
 
Old 02-01-2011, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
217 posts, read 409,354 times
Reputation: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post

I've also heard some cities "ship" the homeless down here? I don't know how true that is, but if so, I wouldn't mind a couple of my tax dollars shipping them somewhere else, like to Birmingham.
It's not.

People got that idea from reading headlines like "NYC Giving Homeless One-Way Tickets to Atlanta (http://www.11alive.com/rss/rss_story.aspx?storyid=133182 - broken link)" a couple of summers ago. Writing headlines like that is just a cheap, lazy trick to get people to click on a link. They were buying people tickets to go to lots of places, not just Atlanta, but more importantly:

"The catch is this -- the only way the homeless can get a ticket is to prove they have family or friends in the destination cities who are able and willing to take them in, so they won't be homeless in their new hometowns. "

The problem is that a lot of people won't read past the first couple of sentences in the story, then they go telling everyone they know about how New York's city government is rounding up homeless people, stuffing them into buses and just dropping them off at Five Points. And they just know it's true because they "saw it on the news."
 
Old 02-01-2011, 08:57 PM
 
Location: ATL
4,688 posts, read 8,027,782 times
Reputation: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
I have been to all of those places - your point? It doesn't eliminate the fact we have a lot of homeless people Downtown and I've seen a few wondering around Midtown and Buckhead (twitching I might add)... and yes, that is a problem. Do you think it's a good thing??? Downtown Atlanta has a lot of potential if we could cut down on the bums, crackheads and panhandlers.
I agree but homeless people are everywhere especially in cities that have a high cost of living. I don't think the homeless problem is that bad here because the cost of living is cheap. Being homeless for the most part is their fault. Most of them are homeless due to using drugs and doing bad things. It's mostly their fault. I'm sure there are more homeless people now because of the recession but I recommend you traveling to other cities like LA or San Fran and see how bad their homeless problem is. Being homeless here isnt as bad as in other cities. They can get still get a one bedroom apartment in the hood for $300 a month. Get a couple of people to move in and that is $100 a month per person. I'm sure they can get $100 a month if they really wanted to
 
Old 02-01-2011, 09:41 PM
 
Location: West Cobb County, GA (Atlanta metro)
9,191 posts, read 33,908,502 times
Reputation: 5311
I think there is a need however, to differentiate between someone who is "homeless" and someone who is a "bum".

Atlanta doesn't really have a disproportionate number of homeless people for a city/metro of this size. Those who are have a number of groups that can and do help them if they want it. Atlanta does however, have a disproportionate number of bums downtown, who do not want any real help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top