Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 07:24 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,618,312 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I'm sorry I've gotten to this point but I need some resources-

Fresh out of college, my boyfriend is having a hard time finding a band director job (or any kind of music education position, elementary-high school) I know everyone's kind of in the same boat but for all you teachers out there, do you have any recommendations for job search websites? I'm trying to help him and I'm clueless.

Any advice is very appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 07:38 PM

122 posts, read 348,806 times
Public schools are laying off teachers still, so there may be nothing there. Check with private schools - check out, I think, Carney Sandhoe - you can google them. Most private schools won't look at unsolicited resumes. I don't know of any other agency that handles your area, but I know there are some.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:55 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
It is pretty grim. Some systems are now only using certified teachers as subs, you might want to recommend that he apply for sub status and then go from there.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:01 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
It is pretty grim. Some systems are now only using certified teachers as subs, you might want to recommend that he apply for sub status and then go from there.
Sympathies to the OP and friend.

A side note about LMM's comment - when we moved here from British Columbia I was amazed and shocked that a substitute could be anything other than a certified teacher. In BC, subs are certified teachers assigned from the sub list. Subs beyond the elementary level are assigned in their subject area, so if your high school French teacher calls in sick, a qualified French teacher will appear as the sub and attempt to move the class forward in the curriculum.

My experience in Cobb County is that subs can be the regular teacher's adult child or friend, or a parent, and even at the high school level their task is typically to babysit the class, not teach.

A downside of the BC and now, apparently, local situation is that it bespeaks a difficult job market for teachers.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:32 AM

43 posts, read 116,460 times
I am a teacher and in the process of moving to Atlanta suburbs. I go directly to school district websites for openings. I have seen a few music positions, but not sure where. I look at Dekalb, Fulton, Forsyth, Gwinnett, and Cobb.

Good luck

Old 02-02-2011, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,531 times
Not sure your Husbands band background...but Cobb has some of the most competitive and known band programs in the country (I knew about them while I was working with programs in other states), followed by Gwinnett, Forsyth, etc.
His best bet will probably be to look into the music educators associations around here, and start making contacts.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,023 times
Look at GISA

Job Openings - Georgia Independent School Association (http://www.gisa-schools.org/tch_jobs_results.asp - broken link)

Posted
January 25, 2011
School
Pace Academy
Position
Band Teacher/Director
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: