Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 08:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,130 times

Advertisements

This is my first post! I was reading through some responses and feel lucky to have found a place where everyone is so knowledgeable

I am contemplating moving to Georgia from Michigan, but I am unsure of where.
My needs are simple :
1. A town near or in the Appalachian mountains with decent employment and apartments/houses (maybe a college town?)
2. If at all possible, within 45 minutes of Atlanta

I also have some questions about Georgia that google just can't seem to answer.
1. Sales tax - what is it?
2. Employment, how easy is it finding a job? I'm going to be moving after I graduate college, and I will have two degrees; one in French Language Studies and the other in Global International Studies with a Japan focus and a Japanese minor. Suggestions for another city besides Atlanta?

Can any of you folks help me out?
Much obliged!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 08:04 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,532,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koneho View Post
This is my first post! I was reading through some responses and feel lucky to have found a place where everyone is so knowledgeable

I am contemplating moving to Georgia from Michigan, but I am unsure of where.
My needs are simple :
1. A town near or in the Appalachian mountains with decent employment and apartments/houses (maybe a college town?)
2. If at all possible, within 45 minutes of Atlanta

I also have some questions about Georgia that google just can't seem to answer.
1. Sales tax - what is it?
2. Employment, how easy is it finding a job? I'm going to be moving after I graduate college, and I will have two degrees; one in French Language Studies and the other in Global International Studies with a Japan focus and a Japanese minor. Suggestions for another city besides Atlanta?

Can any of you folks help me out?
Much obliged!
Hmmm, I don't know. Maybe Osaka? Nice?

Old 02-06-2011, 08:07 PM

Osaka sucks!
Besides, my goal is to do translating work, and Japan is waaaaaaaay to expensive.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:23 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
What size town do you want to move to? What type of job?

The state sales tax is 4%, but local governments can tax 1-3% more. 6-7% is typical including state+local. The highest will be Fulton County @ 8%, which has a MARTA tax @ 1% and a special 1% tax to fix the water system for a limited time.

To be within 45 minutes of Atlanta (proper) you really need to be looking in Atlanta's northern suburbs. If you want to be 45 minutes from Atlanta's suburbs, but in the mountains there are -small towns with limited opportunities- (Jasper, Dahlonega, Dawsonville, Cleveland, Toccoa)

If you are more interested in being closer to the mountains, but less interested in Atlanta... you might want to consider being near Chattanooga, Knoxville, or Asheville. That will get you closer to the mountains, but they are still large cities with opportunities even if not near as large as Atlanta.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:24 PM

357 posts, read 783,682 times
california? lot more japaneese people out there.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:31 PM

Unfortunately, for personal reasons, it has to be Georgia, even if that means shooting myself in the foot with the job hunt.
Atlanta seems like a better choice that the northern small towns, thanks for the imput!

Old 02-06-2011, 08:38 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,647 times
Employment here really depends on what you do, your prior experience, and if you have a strong resume/cover letter. Networking also helps. You are more likely to get a call back/interview if you have a local address, but it's a catch 22 as it's also not the best idea to move somewhere without a job. It's a risk, but it might be worth taking if it's where you want to be. I would suggest, before risking it, looking online to see if there are a decent amount of job postings for what you want to do.

Atlanta is a diverse metro area and close to the mountains. Athens might also be a good fit for you, but I'm not sure how the job situation is there as it's pretty much a college town about an hour from Atlanta.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:57 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,430 times
I would think that with degrees in areas as specialized as those, you would realize that most of the employment, especially in this economy, would be in large international cities. Your best bets would be LA or New York in this country or with American companies abroad. My husband works for a foreign company in Atlanta, but they do not need translators as they are all completely fluent in English. My daughter works for a French company in New York and same thing.

Have you considered teaching?

Old 02-07-2011, 06:40 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
45 minutes will not put you into the mountains- to truly get into the mountains, you need to be in a place like Ellijay or Blue Ridge, which is the better part of two hours from Atlanta. Job opportunities in those towns for someone with your degrees would include positions such as Waffle House waitress and Walmart greeter. Being a Walmart greeter might allow you to practice your Japanese with an occasional tourist, at least....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta