Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 02:37 AM

4 posts, read 6,326 times

Advertisements

I read the stickied 21 page thread about Atlanta newcomers, but I noticed most people didn't get replies so my apologies if I'm going against forum etiquette by creating my own thread.

Anyways, here's my situation. Please bare with the details as I just want to paint the most accurate picture of who I am and what I'm looking for. Any help will be greatly appreciated...

I graduate in May from an SEC school and will be moving to ATL late in the summer to begin my career. I will be 22 years old and working downtown about 3 or so blocks north of the Peachtree Center MARTA station. I'm a white, fairly conservative, single, and straight male. I'm very unfamiliar with the city (not from GA) and will only know a handful of people my age.

I'm looking to rent and pay no more than $800 monthly, but to be honest, I don't have much of an idea of what a reasonable price would be for my situation so please don't see this number as concrete. I would prefer to have roommates (1-2), but I also have a close friend who I plan on living with once he moves to ATL 5 months after I move there. Therefore, I may initially need a place with flexible lease terms or month-by-month rent if possible.

I will have a vehicle, but I'd prefer to not be stuck in traffic for a long commute. The idea of taking MARTA to work is definitely appealing, but I'm not opposed to driving either. I grew up in the burbs my entire life so that's the last place I want to be as a young single male. I do like greenery, however, and living in a safe area is important as well. Walkability is a huge plus, but not a requirement.

Obviously, I would like to be around other young people and single women. I'll be working long hours and traveling some, but I definitely look forward to going out, meeting people, and being active socially in ATL. I was in a fraternity at an SEC school (bring on the stereotypes) but in no way am I seeking to pigeon-hole myself in that type of culture even though it's one I'm comfortable with. I've lived in several places both in and out of the South, love to travel, and get along with all types.

I like to attend bars where you can actually carry on a conversation without screaming at the top of your lungs. I love listening to live music. The less fast food/chains around the better. If I can walk to these places even better.

From what I've read and heard from others my 3 main options seem to be Midtown, Buckhead, and Virginia Highland so any insight on these areas would be great as well as any other suggestions.

I'll check back often to read the replies and to ask any follow-up questions I may have. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 03:35 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
Also check out the Little 5 Points area...the neighborhoods of Candler Park and Inman Park are a little slower than a young man your age will desire but it's right on the MARTA line and it has access to great recreation activities. And while Little 5 might not be your style with regards to nightlife it's still easy access to places to get food and live music when you feel like staying close to home.

And while people often think Decatur = families, I know a lot of young graduates from Emory's School of Public Health (ahem, mostly women) like to live in Decatur and hold house parties. Also on MARTA. Also the home of the best beer bar in the world (The Brick Store).

But, also look in the areas you mentioned. They're excellent choices.

As for flexible leases...hmmm, that's tough. I'm a landlord and I like leasing out to people who don't have plans to leave soon, for obvious reasons. If you move into a roommate situation, even if it sucks, it will probably be easier to get out of it if you tell the landlord you will seek out your own replacement. So, what that means is a month, maybe 2, after moving in place an ad in craigslist for your spot, listing the date it's available. You can screen the applicants, have them sign the application forms and run the security screens on them, etc, and then present them to the landlord...and sail out when your buddy shows up on the scene. It won't be a trivial amount of work, but it's doable....heck, I did it to get out of the last place I rented when I bought my house.

Best of luck and welcome. I think you're going to have a good time here.

Oh, and if you happen to be a runner or a cyclist...you're gonna like it here. Big running and cycling community here.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:01 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,811,551 times
Congrats on having a job before coming to town!!!!

Old 02-07-2011, 12:13 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,493 times
I think you would like Buckhead the best. I am a 23 year old ex-frat guy from an SEC school (UGA), and I really enjoy living there. I tend to have a lot in common with the people that frequent the bars and that live around there--went to SEC/southern schools, were greek, come from a middle class background, are fairly conservative, white, etc. If that is what interests you, I think Buckhead would be your first choice. Brookhaven is also an option if you would rather rent a house than an apartment but still want to be close to the Buckhead nightlife.

As for renting, it may be hard to find a place that is month-to-month, less than $800, and near MARTA. Each one of those exists in Buckhead, but it may be difficult to find a place that meets all three criteria. The apartments around Lenox MARTA station would probably be your best bet.

MARTA would be a really good choice though if you can swing it, because Peachtree Center has its own station in the basement. Even if you can't take MARTA though, your commute will be pretty easy. Both Peachtree Center and Buckhead are on Peachtree Road/St., which moves fairly quickly, even in rush hour. I'd estimate about a 15 minute drive.

As for other areas that you mentioned, Virginia Highland would be my next choice. Its similar to Buckhead, but in terms of nightlife, the crowd is older (late 20s-early 30s) and a little more granola. Midtown is also fun, but it's more of a "guido" (i'm Italian so I can say that) scene, with hair gel and clubs instead of bars, which I don't really mind but some people in the Buckhead crowd do. Decatur and Little Five Points are hipster hangouts, so take that however you want.

Either way, I have lived in a couple other places, and though I was born and raised here, I do find the people in Atlanta is what makes it such a fun place for a young single person to live. I have a really good time every time I go out, and I don't know any young person who doesn't love living here. It's really easy to meet people. There is also no shortage of attractive, single women (especially blondes), so that helps. Good luck and welcome to Atlanta.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I think you would like Buckhead the best. I am a 23 year old ex-frat guy from an SEC school (UGA), and I really enjoy living there. I tend to have a lot in common with the people that frequent the bars and that live around there--went to SEC/southern schools, were greek, come from a middle class background, are fairly conservative, white, etc. If that is what interests you, I think Buckhead would be your first choice. Brookhaven is also an option if you would rather rent a house than an apartment but still want to be close to the Buckhead nightlife.
I did a pub crawl in Buckhead when I was in town this past fall and it's definitely the crowd I'm used to. I had a blast, but with that said, sometimes the pretentiousness and mentality that can come with that type of crowd is nauseating to me.

Quote:
As for renting, it may be hard to find a place that is month-to-month, less than $800, and near MARTA. Each one of those exists in Buckhead, but it may be difficult to find a place that meets all three criteria. The apartments around Lenox MARTA station would probably be your best bet.

MARTA would be a really good choice though if you can swing it, because Peachtree Center has its own station in the basement. Even if you can't take MARTA though, your commute will be pretty easy. Both Peachtree Center and Buckhead are on Peachtree Road/St., which moves fairly quickly, even in rush hour. I'd estimate about a 15 minute drive.
What price range would I be looking at for a decent apartment in Buckhead? for 1 person? 2br? 3br?

If that's all the commute would be by car then I'm cool with driving every day. Are the apartments near the MARTA station within walking distance to grocery, bars, restaurants? Are there any apartments in Buckhead that are like this or will I be driving mostly? The convenience of being able to walk to a few places would be a huge plus.

Quote:
Virginia Highland would be my next choice. Its similar to Buckhead, but in terms of nightlife, the crowd is older (late 20s-early 30s) and a little more granola.
Thanks for the insight on this. I've heard a lot of good things about this area and definitely want to check it out, but it does seem like for someone who'll be at the bottom of the age bracket, Buckhead will be my best bet for when I first move to ATL.

Quote:
I don't know any young person who doesn't love living here. It's really easy to meet people. There is also no shortage of attractive, single women (especially blondes), so that helps.
Great to hear this. I've moved around enough times that the transition should be pretty smooth, especially if it's easy to meet people.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Also check out the Little 5 Points area...the neighborhoods of Candler Park and Inman Park are a little slower than a young man your age will desire but it's right on the MARTA line and it has access to great recreation activities. And while Little 5 might not be your style with regards to nightlife it's still easy access to places to get food and live music when you feel like staying close to home.

And while people often think Decatur = families, I know a lot of young graduates from Emory's School of Public Health (ahem, mostly women) like to live in Decatur and hold house parties. Also on MARTA. Also the home of the best beer bar in the world (The Brick Store).
I'm hoping to make a trip to ATL for a long weekend in the next few months so I can check out some of these areas in person. I know the Little 5 Points scene probably clashes with mine, but access to MARTA would be nice and I'm willing to check out any options I may have.

Quote:
As for flexible leases...hmmm, that's tough. I'm a landlord and I like leasing out to people who don't have plans to leave soon, for obvious reasons. If you move into a roommate situation, even if it sucks, it will probably be easier to get out of it if you tell the landlord you will seek out your own replacement. So, what that means is a month, maybe 2, after moving in place an ad in craigslist for your spot, listing the date it's available. You can screen the applicants, have them sign the application forms and run the security screens on them, etc, and then present them to the landlord...and sail out when your buddy shows up on the scene. It won't be a trivial amount of work, but it's doable....heck, I did it to get out of the last place I rented when I bought my house.
Thanks for the advice. I may have to end up doing this.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:19 PM

Ha, I used to be an attractive single blond, as opposed to the the middle-aged cropped-hair red head I am now...so take that for what its worth. I just got a kick at how he emphasized the "especially blondes". All that means is the women bleach their hair because they think being fair-haired is better than being some other color.

That being said, Buckhead is an obvious choice for you. But the other neighborhoods might offer you something a bit more interesting.

For instance, I already mentioned that I live near Little 5 Points and BBC dismissed it as a hipster hangout. That being said...it's a hipster hangout with lots of CDC and Emory connections, work-wise. It's not exactly a poor part of town, just a bit more funky.

All this being said, there are few places a young man of your age can live an not have fun. If you move to Atlanta and are miserable it says more about you than it does about Atlanta. So, find your ideal living situation, financially, and have a good time.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Ha, I used to be an attractive single blond, as opposed to the the middle-aged cropped-hair red head I am now...so take that for what its worth. I just got a kick at how he emphasized the "especially blondes". All that means is the women bleach their hair because they think being fair-haired is better than being some other color.
haha the "especially blondes" comment actually doesn't appeal to me as much as most. I'm half-Greek so I've always been partial to brunettes. Speaking of, anyone know much about the Greek Orthodox church in town?

Quote:
That being said, Buckhead is an obvious choice for you. But the other neighborhoods might offer you something a bit more interesting.

For instance, I already mentioned that I live near Little 5 Points and BBC dismissed it as a hipster hangout. That being said...it's a hipster hangout with lots of CDC and Emory connections, work-wise. It's not exactly a poor part of town, just a bit more funky.
I'm sure I'll probably end up in Buckhead, but I definitely want to get a feel for the vibe of these other places even if they are "hipster". I enjoy hanging around most types of people and have no doubt that I'll find my place in Atlanta wherever it is.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:02 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post

All this being said, there are few places a young man of your age can live an not have fun. If you move to Atlanta and are miserable it says more about you than it does about Atlanta. So, find your ideal living situation, financially, and have a good time.
The only reason I emphasized blondes is that there seem to be more of them in Atlanta versus places like Chicago or Philadelphia where the was more Southern European immigration. Most of the people in Atlanta (and I would say the South) tend to be of Scotch-Irish stock, which of course have fairer complexions.

I also didnt mean to dismiss Little 5 Points or Decatur or to imply that they were poorer. They are definitely more funky, and not just hipster hangouts (although they seem to be in the majority) but also the heady 420 types that float over to the bars after a jam band concert. Both areas have cool, "all-inclusive" vibes. That contrasts to East Atlanta, which is full of mean hipsters who want to gouge the eyes out of any person wearing a polo shirt or who says they don't like indie rock.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:39 PM

BBC, I wasn't really calling you out. I was just pokin fun, especially since I had to laugh at how when I was 22, which was 15 years ago, I was all into being blond and trying to hook up with exactly the kind of guy the OP says he is. Fast forward 15 years and whoa-boy am I a different gal, values, looks, income, and everything. Time alone has a funny way of changing people.

However, to the OP, there is a Greek orthodox community here. On Clairmont Rd, between I-85 and N Lavista is a big Greek church and they havea great festival, etc. You can definitely find a Greek home for yourself here.

And as an Irish-Italian woman, even though I am long married to a French Cajun, I do welcome young energetic Greek men to the neighborhood. Welcome! And, as both I and BBC mentioned, you will have a hard time not having fun here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta