Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 12:32 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,876,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Gov. Palin says Michelle Obama is taking away our God-given right to eat whatever we want and is trying to make it so nobody can have dessert anymore.
I noticed that. It strikes me as partisanship that's crossed the line into irrationality. Even John McCain wrote a recent newspaper column highly praising President Obama's speech in Arizona. Good for Sen. McCain. However, I can't escape the impression, from comments like Palin's, that there is absolutely nothing the Obamas could ever do or say that would not excite the disapproval of certain hard-core Republicans and Tea-Party members like her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 12:50 PM

8,469 posts, read 14,933,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Update>>>
First lady Michelle Obama in Atlanta *| ajc.com

The snack of the day at this school is blueberries. I love them but they are expensive. If anyone knows how to fund this sort of nutrition for each and every school in the US I wish they would speak up.

Every little bit helps.
I think a great opportunity is for schools to begin planting these type of foods on campus. Many of these fruits grow quite well in Georgia (we kept gardens of them at my parents house and got a lot of yield from what little yard we had) and will be a learning event for the children.

Also, I think we need to stop the practice of paying the lowest bidder when it comes to school food. I know I as a taxpayer would be just fine and dandy at paying a little bit more if it meant my hypothetical kids could have better food at school rather than the fried slop that passes for food at schools today.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:06 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,429,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I think a great opportunity is for schools to begin planting these type of foods on campus. Many of these fruits grow quite well in Georgia (we kept gardens of them at my parents house and got a lot of yield from what little yard we had) and will be a learning event for the children.

Also, I think we need to stop the practice of paying the lowest bidder when it comes to school food. I know I as a taxpayer would be just fine and dandy at paying a little bit more if it meant my hypothetical kids could have better food at school rather than the fried slop that passes for food at schools today.
I support this sort of program>>>

Burgess-Peterson Academy’s Organic Garden « East Atlanta Community Association

I have no idea what it would take to implement similar programs into all schools.

When I started teaching in the 70's similar ideas were discussed but no $ for funding. It was a leap forward to include salad bars as an option in the school lunch program.

My Dad planted blueberry bushes that are still bearing after 50 years--fwiw. lol--Late June or July --that's when the blueberries are ripe. We freeze them and enjoy them for many more months.
I am grateful that my early experiences with vegetables weren't those served at school.

^^^^^
From another article:
Burgess-Peterson -- in efforts spearheaded by Jackson, the school's physical education instructor and erstwhile wellness champion -- participates in the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Farm to School program, in which students visit local farms and are encouraged to eat locally grown produce. The school's garden allows teachers to incorporate healthy eating and good nutrition lessons into the curriculum.

Administrators do not permit soft drink machines and fundraisers that involve candy and cookie sales. A school wellness council helps back those efforts. Students also serve as peer "wellness ambassadors."

Two kids each week get to be "farmers" for the week, one carrying hand sanitizer and the other handing out the fruit or vegetable snacks as both talk about what the snack is, where it grew and what benefits can be associated with it.'

'

Last edited by TakeAhike; 02-09-2011 at 01:53 PM..

Old 02-09-2011, 01:54 PM

461 posts, read 1,066,522 times
Decatur city has a farm to school program as well.
The Decatur Farm to School Initiative

Old 02-09-2011, 06:17 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,803,512 times
Okay, well, I have to admit that I was running short on time getting over to North Point so I drove through Chik-Fil-A and got a cookies and cream milkshake with whipped cream; but I did throw away the cherry on top to make me feel like I was reducing calories. Got to North Point at 12:30 to be greeted by large lines of people, music playing and a literal sea of police, ambulance, GBI bomb squad,secret service, helicopter. Wonder how much this little visit cost the taxpayers.... Probably enough to plant more than a few gardens at local schools.

Could not bring in a purse (where I had stashed a granola bar) so had to run (got in some exercise there) back to my car, where I gulped some water (no fluids were allowed). An interesting crowd of people with a fair amount of kids during our hour wait. We went through security in groups of four, including getting a "wand" search.
Music was provided by both churches (yeah NP iBand) and I think Pastor Andy Stanley looked very nice in a suit and tie- a big departure from his usual jeans and casual shirt).
The crowd was interesting and I would have to say that a fairly large percentage could qualify for "Biggest Loser" show. We waited a long time for Michelle to come on stage and she was a very good speaker but I was disappointed that she did not say anything that you couldn't read on the website. It felt at times, like a campaign speech (especially about how they had gotten Walmart to reduce the amount of high caloric foods they sell (hmmm, no more pork rinds???) She did spend a fair amount of time shaking hands and the crowds treated her like a rock star.

Of course, by the time I got home and my husband (who was stranded on 400 due to the First Lady), we had were all starving and went out to eat (bring on the chips and guacamole!)

Old 02-09-2011, 07:08 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,585,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post

These companies shouldn't have to change the way they do business because the public has no self-control.

I fail to understand your logic.

Companies, including restaurants, should have a moral obligation and responsibility to sell and market products that clearly don't endanger lives.

Counting on Americans to always do the right thing is flawed logic.

No self-control sometimes enters the realm of addiction. Telling an addict to change his ways will usually yield limited results without direct intervention.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:12 PM

1,708 posts, read 3,410,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
I hope Mrs. Obama stops at the Chick-fil-A headquarters in Atlanta to discuss nutrition.

I'm sure Mrs. Obama could briefly outline foods to the company brass that are much more nutritious and healthy than the foods CFA is currently serving to the public.
Are you freaking kidding? You have a choice. Utilize that right.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:17 PM

32,000 posts, read 36,621,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
A you freaking kidding? You have a choice. Utilize that right.
Well, what about people who have become addicted to fast food or don't have anything else handy?

Old 02-09-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
I fail to understand your logic.

Companies, including restaurants, should have a moral obligation and responsibility to sell and market products that clearly don't endanger lives.

Counting on Americans to always do the right thing is flawed logic.

No self-control sometimes enters the realm of addiction. Telling an addict to change his ways will usually yield limited results without direct intervention.
That logic is the basis for the very foundation this country was founded on. Perhaps you'd enjoy communism more better.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, what about people who have become addicted to fast food or don't have anything else handy?
Now I've heard it all.......................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta