Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 07:53 PM

5 posts, read 11,332 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am starting a job in Tucker GA next month and am looking at places to live. Alpharetta is currently my top choice, as it seems safe and generally nice, but I have heard the commute is a nightmare. I'd be looking to leave the house around 7am during the week.

Does anyone have any idea of commuting times by car? or better places to live with a more reasonable commute?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 08:30 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
What is it about Alpharetta that appeals to you?

It would be a draining commute on a daily basis--2x.

>>>>Did you hear about the incident on I285 this AM--someone drove the wrong way between the Ashford Dunwoody and Chamblee Dunwoody exits---a tractor trailer overturned. This happpened at 4AM--there was a reported delay of 4 hours--the spill affected traffic all day. This is the sort of thing you would need to anticipate if you plan to live a considerable distance from your work. All surface streets and alternative routes were delayed.
From the AJC>>>
http://www.ajc.com/news/north-fulton...ws-831738.html

You could consider the Perimeter Mall/Dunwoody/Sandy Springs area. There are a number of apartments and other housing options near Perimeter Mall/Ashford Dunwoody. Young professionals and restaurants/shopping are nearby. Dunwoody/Sandy Springs offer good schools and many families reside in these areas.

You would have several alternate routes to Tucker. Perhaps a 30 minute commute.

A previous thread>>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...nwoody-ga.html

Last edited by TakeAhike; 02-08-2011 at 09:09 PM..

Old 02-08-2011, 11:03 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello2you View Post
Hi all,

I am starting a job in Tucker GA next month and am looking at places to live. Alpharetta is currently my top choice, as it seems safe and generally nice, but I have heard the commute is a nightmare. I'd be looking to leave the house around 7am during the week.

Does anyone have any idea of commuting times by car? or better places to live with a more reasonable commute?

Thanks!
Albeit the areas are different from Alpharetta, but there are some nice suburban areas with good schools in Gwinnett County that might have a somewhat more tolerable commute via US 29, US 78 to I-285 North, or Five Forks-Trickum Rd to Hugh Howell Rd. Going from oldest/closest to furthest/newest I'd check out the areas of the Parkview HS (south of Lilburn city/Mountain Park), Brookwood HS (between Lilburn, snelleville, and lawrenceville), Grayson HS (Grayson), and Archer HS (Grayson) school clusters.

The character of those areas are different, but they are nice, safe, good schools, single-family home suburban, and closer to Tucker. It might not be for you, but with that commute I'd check it out.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:20 AM

124 posts, read 399,766 times
Have you thought about Decatur? It would be a very easy commute.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:25 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
If I was going to commute to Tucker I'd live in North Decatur or around Northlake. Those are fantastic neighborhoods with 10 minute access.

Alpharetty to Tucker is a bit of a bruiser, since you'd have to deal with GA 400, the northeastern quadrant of 285, and probably either 85 or the Stone Mountain Freeway.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:01 AM

5 posts, read 11,332 times
Thank for the ideas all. My main attractions to Alpharetta are saftey and the amount of relatively newer homes for affordable prices. I dont mind up to a 45 min commute each way average.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:03 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If I was going to commute to Tucker I'd live in North Decatur or around Northlake. Those are fantastic neighborhoods with 10 minute access.

Alpharetty to Tucker is a bit of a bruiser, since you'd have to deal with GA 400, the northeastern quadrant of 285, and probably either 85 or the Stone Mountain Freeway.
I agree the commute would be terrible. Don't move to Apharetta if you'll be working in Tucker.

There are three exits off 285 that dump you right into Tucker (Chamblee-Tucker Rd., Lavista Rd., Lawrenceville Hwy), so you wouldn't have any reason to get on 85.

On second thought, 285 turns into a parking lot quite often, so you'd probably wind up using 85 as an escape route sometimes.

Still, that commute would be a deal breaker for any sane person.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:09 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello2you View Post
Thank for the ideas all. My main attractions to Alpharetta are saftey and the amount of relatively newer homes for affordable prices. I dont mind up to a 45 min commute each way average.
I think you might find newer homes and a 45 minute commute in Gwinnett.

Sugarloaf Parkway area might be considered comparable to Alpharetta.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:14 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
I can't say for sure, because I have never had that exact commute. (I can't imagine it is a common one), but I'm betting Alpharetta to Tucker during rush hour would be more than 45 min. Traffic backs up pretty bad just from people trying to the Perimeter Center area, Buckhead and 285 to get to Cobb/Cumberland and Gwinnett/Peachtree Corners

Many places in Gwinnett County would fit the limited criteria you have mentioned so far anywhere from 15 min to 45 min away.

Decatur as others have mentioned is a nice area. It is an older, intown suburb though and from what you have said I don't think it is what you are looking for or is too comparable to Alpharetta.

What part of Tucker are you commuting to? Is there anything else your looking for in an area? Anything that attracted you to Alpharetta that your afraid a closer commute wouldn't have?

Old 02-09-2011, 05:08 PM

454 posts, read 821,216 times
I would agree with others that you are going to be much better off buying near Northlake Mall (south of I285) and south towards Emory. Houses may be older and more expensive but the area is much nicer than Alpharetta and will be a much better investment. Emory/CDC are growing etc. I don't think safety is any issue either.

As well as the fact that commuting such a long distance is wastful in time and resources and dangerous you may also find that the savings made by living closer enable you to put more money into a better house so increasing your wealth longer term.

If you are new to the area I would rent first and decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta