Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:39 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
While it is true that Atlanta isn't landlocked and ultra-tall buildings aren't necessary, before declaring such sweeping statements that their square footage would be better spread out rather than up, one would needs to do a full cost/environmental impact analysis considering factors such as surface area/material costs to clad those many acres of low-rise buildings, the cost of heating and cooling them, real estate prices, runoff issues, even the loss of productivity for employees' time in traveling further distances. So until that time, I respectfully declare your comment is without merit.

Urban designers claim that downtown Atlanta is the absolute worst because of its spread out nature and abundance of surface parking lots. But you know what? I walk into the lobby of the BofA tower every other morning to visit the bank on the ground level, and I love the building. No, in NYC the skyscrapers do not have a big grassy front yard with trees, but this is how the South does "big city" and its unique. Who the heck wants every downtown of every city in America to be exactly alike? Not me...
Well, I really appreciate your comments, although I'm not sure I’ve made any "sweeping statements." Personally I like tall buildings; however, given where we are now I think it's worth considering the alternatives.

Your point about runoff issues is a good one. If I had the Magic City Planning/Developer Wand and wanted to spread out the 1.2 million sf in BOA, I'd be looking toward a model similar to what they've done at Tech Square. I'd be very careful about creating more impervious surface, and would seek to put my buildings on vacant and underutilized lots. I’d take advantage of Midtown’s street grid and multiple transit stations and bus routes.

You’d want to keep the buildings in a compact design, and not spread out like a suburban office park. Granted, transportation would not be as simple as stepping on an elevator and pushing the button. But what I’m envisioning would not require additional driving. These low and midrise buildings would be placed close enough together so that people could walk, ride the bus or take the train. Distances would only be a few blocks and in many cases less. This is common in cities all over the world and I’m confident Atlantans are up to the challenge.

I also think you are wise to raise the caveat about heating and cooling costs. I certainly don’t have the information to address that and it would require careful study. Just talking off the top of my head, however, I’m not ready to concede that it’s more economical to operate one 50-story building than 10 5-story ones. With a supertall building you obviously need some special mechanical systems to make that thing work. And who knows? With today’s technology, we might be able to make our midrise buildings extremely energy efficient. For one thing, you’ve got a lot more roof space. Use solar and make some of them green roofs, amenity decks and/or outdoor galleries and living spaces. In a midrise, people might even be willing to walk up or down a few floors rather than always riding the elevator. Again, I don’t know the numbers but the possibilities are intriguing.

I still consider the greatest benefit of the low/midrise approach to be its value to the street. You’re bringing a lot more people down to where they are in contact and in view of one another. Let them walk an extra block to the post office or two streets down to the bank. There are tremendous opportunities for human living there.

Anyway, I certainly respect your thoughts on the subject and appreciate you sharing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 07:40 PM

969 posts, read 1,958,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I agree. Whoever does buy it will get a good deal, but they will need to do some construction to update it, namely by developing the lawn space into something. I don't think street-level retail would work in that area, especially since the economy is so bad. But the whole "tower in a park" set-up with no street-level presence, or even street-level access, is an increasingly dated design.
Agreed, property owners in Atlanta don't seem to update much. The owners of the Sun Trust tower could update the plaza of their building, same with the BoFA building and maybe add a hotel/parking deck on that parking lot. How do they expect to lure in tenants when they don't update their properties to make them attractive?

Old 02-10-2011, 08:08 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
While it is true that Atlanta isn't landlocked and ultra-tall buildings aren't necessary, before declaring such sweeping statements that their square footage would be better spread out rather than up, one would needs to do a full cost/environmental impact analysis considering factors such as surface area/material costs to clad those many acres of low-rise buildings, the cost of heating and cooling them, real estate prices, runoff issues, even the loss of productivity for employees' time in traveling further distances. So until that time, I respectfully declare your comment is without merit.

Urban designers claim that downtown Atlanta is the absolute worst because of its spread out nature and abundance of surface parking lots. But you know what? I walk into the lobby of the BofA tower every other morning to visit the bank on the ground level, and I love the building. No, in NYC the skyscrapers do not have a big grassy front yard with trees, but this is how the South does "big city" and its unique. Who the heck wants every downtown of every city in America to be exactly alike? Not me...

Great post.

Removed - per the TOS, do not discuss rep points please.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 02-11-2011 at 07:38 AM..

Old 02-10-2011, 08:11 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,789 times
I want Atlanta to have the highest skyscraper. Thats just me though. BEtter than a damn Ferris wheel.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:03 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
I love the Pencil Building! I can see the lighted cone of it from my house and I love that.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:58 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I love the Pencil Building! I can see the lighted cone of it from my house and I love that.
Then it was worth the extra hundred million to make it! Not to mention the extra lighting cost.

Pencil Building? I think I hear a weeping architect somewhere.

Ok, so like, when are they going to finish the leaky roof?

Old 02-10-2011, 10:00 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
C'mon...Pencil Building is a way better name than Bank of America Building!

And, yes, they built it for my very own viewing pleasure.....despite the fact when they built it I had no idea I would live here...they read my future mind!

Old 02-11-2011, 02:21 AM

625 posts, read 1,148,713 times
priceless.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:10 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Midtown, Buckhead, Lindbergh City Center, etc. have all made great strides towards urban infill, and I feel confident that the area around the BofA tower (at night "The Burning Cigarette") will only get better.

I frequent the LA Fitness near Technology Square, and I very much like that streetscape/scale of buildings also.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:30 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
The "park" the building is on really covers the underground deck. It won all sorts of accolades when first built because it created green space instead of having a large above ground parking deck.

I work in BofA, and while it's a nice building, local amenities are sorely lacking (shops, restaurants, etc.). And, then there are always the denizens of the Pine Street shelter ready and willing to entertain you if you voyage outside. It's a very cloistered space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: