Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 07:58 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times

Advertisements

Does the State of Georgia actively promote its resources to the world through marketing tools such as this weblink to North Carolina's miniscule Morehead City deep water port? I know Savannah's port is about 100 times bigger, so I'm sure it does, but this weblink is just one of the many reasons I have such respect for my home state of NC.
John Stropki :: NC State Ports

Metro Atlanta and the State of Georgia should sell itself with the highest level of marketing tools, in my opinion...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 08:32 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Yeah, the State spends a ton of money on marketing.

For starters, check out:

Georgia.org - About

georgia.gov - Online access to Georgia government.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:45 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Georgia aggressively markets itself. We have economic development offices opened in foreign countries, including one in Shanghai.

This website is a really good place to get an idea of some of the activity that this marketing can generate and all of the initiatives the state has going on at any one time:

GlobalAtlanta.com | Atlanta's International Business News Source

Individually you might not notice things like a new Haitian consulate, an investment by an Israeli and Irish health group, or Senegal's decision to relocate its American tourism office to Atlanta, but over time they add up in a major way. For all its problems, our state government actually does a lot of things right, and is a big player in establishing us globally. Our ports are a great example--Savannah and Brunswick have both risen to the top of their respective businesses.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:03 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
The reason you don't know about Georgia's aggressive marketing efforts is: YOU LIVE IN GEORGIA! You don't market to yourself, after all. I am reminded of the time many years ago when Florida was using the popular catchphrase "The Rules Are Different Here" to promote tourism. Not only were none of my friends who live in Florida aware of that campaign, they were appalled and horrified at what it implied: Come on down,break the law, the same rules don't apply (this was back when spring break was still a desirable thing for many Florida beach communities).

Old 02-16-2011, 11:40 AM

183 posts, read 352,998 times
Why doesn't Atlanta have a deal with Delta (since their hub is here) offer free layovers for all flights connecting through Atlanta? If people leave the airport and spend some time here voluntarily, they'll drop some cash! I know people that fly through here without stopping in town because it'll cost them as an extra trip to stop over here for a few days....or is that the excuse my friends are giving me? lol

Old 02-16-2011, 12:02 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
^^^ UH .... maybe because most people just want to get to where they are going? The thought of spending a couple of days in Atlanta on your way to Paris sucks? That having "multuple-day layovers" between connnecting flights totally defeats the concept of a hub system? That Delta is not in the busiess of selling Atlanta?

Old 02-16-2011, 01:30 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
I don't think it's such a bad idea. I'd probably explore more places if I had a free layover.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:54 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't think it's such a bad idea. I'd probably explore more places if I had a free layover.
I agree. Icelandair has always allowed free layovers as an economic development initiative. I assume there are probably lots of issues to work through, but you could probably work something out. You might need to pay Delta a bit, but it could be worth it.

It would actually be a massive improvement if you would just try to work with Delta to offer an extended layover to certain types of itineraries (ie, international stopovers) for a fixed fee (something like $100). Europeans LOVE shopping in American cities, and would probably jump at the opportunity to do so when flying back from a vacation in Latin America, for example.

Instead, if you try to do something like London > San Jose, Costa Rica > Atlanta > London it would probably be much, much more expensive than doing this without the Atlanta stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: