Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 06:43 AM

444 posts, read 703,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwagon113 View Post
This downlow thing is so bizarre to me. If you're gay then just be gay. No need to live some secret double life. Too much stress I would think having to pretend to be something your not.
I understand what you are saying. In a perfect world, one should feel free to be themselves. However, in this reality, some would argue that it would actually be even more stressful being out of the closet due to stigma, being cut off, etc etc. With that said, I'm in no way defending the DL lifestyle.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:24 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Guapo View Post
I know, right!? I've been so "on-the-fence", for lack of better words, over this very issue. I believe in "live and let live" but its too in-your-face for my taste. I spend way too much time trying to avoid looking the overtly gay guys in the face. Don't want anyone thinking I'm trying to make a love connection. Lol! And in Atlanta that's like every other black dude. That's a lot of brothers I would normally greet that I don't. Its crazy! And I'm no homophobe. Gays in Atlanta seem a little aggressive, IMHO. Like there's something to prove by being flamboyant with it.
Im a gay brotha and I would agree with you. I think everywhere now gays have become more agressive! If they think you go that way then your a possible date.

My thing is the fakeness and materialism. No one is being themselves. They are into flashing alot of money that they dont have. So for me with all the gay men there woulld not that many dating options.

Ive found in my new town of Chicago that not only gay men but people in general are more likely to represent who they are right off instead of flaunt their degrees and big lifestyle.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:20 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57
Who is telling black guys they aren't allowed to be gay?
Black people.
It would be great to see those black people developing more tolerance toward their fellow man. There's no more reason to be prejudiced against people because of their sexuality than the color of their skin.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:51 PM

42 posts, read 132,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It would be great to see those black people developing more tolerance toward their fellow man. There's no more reason to be prejudiced against people because of their sexuality than the color of their skin.

This is an old comparison that's insulting to anyone who's been discriminated against because of their race. You can hide sexuality but you can't hide race. Ethnicity is natural. There is no hardcore evidence that humans can be born gay. I know those in the gay community would love for everyone to believe this but there is no concrete proof. I'm straight but I don't feel the need to prove how straight I am. Your sexual preference is your own business.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Guapo View Post
This is an old comparison that's insulting to anyone who's been discriminated against because of their race. You can hide sexuality but you can't hide race. Ethnicity is natural. There is no hardcore evidence that humans can be born gay. I know those in the gay community would love for everyone to believe this but there is no concrete proof. I'm straight but I don't feel the need to prove how straight I am. Your sexual preference is your own business.
Oh, I respectfully disagree. It's a very valid comparison.

Do you think people can disguise something as intrinsic as their sexuality? Do you expect a straight person to go through his or her entire life without disclosing that they are attracted to members of the opposite sex? That a straight man must never, ever look at or flirt with a woman? Or go on a date with one, or hold hands or kiss her in public? Never marry?

As to how people are born, if you're straight, when did you decide to be that way? Or was that just somehow built into to your nature?

If you're an admitted heterosexual, let's see how you do on the Heterosexual Questionnaire. Maybe it will reveal how you came to be that way.

Heterosexual Questionnaire (http://monster-island.org/tinashumor/humor/quest.html - broken link)

Old 02-21-2011, 06:42 PM

And just to follow up, even if you believe someone's sexuality is something that should be disguised for life -- which seems pretty far-fetched for either gay or straight people -- what about my original point?

It would be great to see anti-gay black people develop more tolerance toward their fellow man.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:03 PM

42 posts, read 132,413 times
Quote:
And just to follow up, even if you believe someone's sexuality is something that should be disguised for life -- which seems pretty far-fetched for either gay or straight people -- what about my original point?

It would be great to see anti-gay black people develop more tolerance toward their fellow man.
Well, it's possible humans are born neither straight or gay. But men normally have more testosterone whereas women generally have more estrogen.

Like I stated, I believe in live and let live. I can't go back and forth over someone's sexuality.

Question #12 is interesting. This could be said for both homosexuals and heterosexuals.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:58 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Frankly it looks more interesting than the housewives show to me. If Atlanta is the gay mecca, I can't see any objection.
Yea me either. Being gay in Atlanta is cool. The show would do well.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:35 PM

334 posts, read 528,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Boston gets to be known for the Irish. San Francisco for the Hippies. Miami for the Hot Latinas. Chicago for the Suburban Teenagers. Dallas for the Cowboys. Houston for the Oil Tycoons. Seattle for the Grungy Coffee-addicts. Los Angeles for the Celebrities.

Atlanta gets to be known for: "Down Low" Gay Men? Wow.

At this point I’m hoping the city can somehow re-associate itself with the Southern Belles and Good Ol’ Boys that it used to be known for, despite how inaccurate it now is. It seems that when the city decided to strip away that association, the negative ones were all that were left for the media to focus on.
I have no comment on the show, but I can't believe you all let this slip by...

Why would anyone in 2011 want to live in a city known for its association with "Good Ol' Boys"??

I'm straight, but I'll take "gay mecca" over a city known for a bunch of old, receding hairline having, cigar-smoking, pot-bellied, white racist, sexist, classist men.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBeingMe404 View Post
I'm straight, but I'll take "gay mecca" over a city known for a bunch of old, receding hairline having, cigar-smoking, pot-bellied, white racist, sexist, classist men.
I'd like to see your evidence that we are classist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta