Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 06:12 PM

13 posts, read 24,715 times

Advertisements

I am moving over summer like the title says and I am at my wits end about school districts. I will be working in midtown, zip 30318, but I need a good middle school that feeds to a good high school, from there I will figure out where to live. I plan to rent initially until I get my bearings and decide where to buy. Any suggestions? I have been on greatschools.org, but if I find a good middle, the high isn't great or vice versa. Found a good match in Hamilton Mill until i realized how far away it was from EVERYWHERE. Loved it over there tho but not an option due to distance. Help!!!

Last edited by Nicki2010; 02-16-2011 at 06:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 06:27 PM

461 posts, read 1,066,858 times
Give us a price range, commute tolerance and desired neighborhood amenities, type of home you'd like, we'll be able to make better suggestions based on additional criteria.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:36 PM

I want to rent for about $1200, commute no more than 40 minutes, type of home doesn't matter to me (condo or house is all the same), the neighbourhood must be kid-friendly, with parks and extracurricular activities for kids. For me teh neighbourhood must be "fleshed out", supermarkets, walmart, shops, pharmacies, movie theater must all be within easy reach. Am I asking too much?

Old 02-16-2011, 06:38 PM

1,708 posts, read 3,412,915 times
If schools are you first and foremost priority, I always recommend Ridgeview Middle into Riverwood High School.

You'll be close to 285 and/or GA 400 and/or I75 for a quick commute into Midtown.

You can also look into East Cobb. Longer commute, but little less expensive.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:41 PM

thank you ATL Golfer.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:48 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,245,152 times
If you're working in Midtown why not look in the Morningside, Virginia-Highland, Inman Park, Candler Park, and Lake Claire neighborhoods? They all feed into Inman Middle and Grady High, which are good school. Your commute will be minutes. The neighborhoods are family friendly/kid friendly and walkable with lots of access to shops. Your budget, $1200, should get you a decent apartment. I know because I have a 2 bedroom, 1 bath, 1000 square foot apartment that I rent for $1250/mo in the Candler Park neighborhood.

Also, speaking as a resident of Candler Park, I have a 9-year old in the 4th grade at Mary Lin. It's been a great school and I am more than happy to send him to Inman Middle and Grady High.

Best of luck!

Old 02-16-2011, 06:51 PM

Thank you, Thank you, thank you...really appreciate the feedback.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:03 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,245,152 times
I definitely advocate living as close to your Midtown office as possible. I used to live out by the Hamilton Mill area, back when my husband was going to school in Athens and I was working where I am now (@ CDC, which is relatively close to Midtown). My commute was >1 hour each way. Often it was 1.5 hours in the morning and about an hour and ten minutes in the evening.

Now, you will hear people say that if you can leave really early in the morning then your commute will be a little bit shorter. I did that when I could and my commute would shrink to ~50 minutes. But that was only possible because my son was in daycare near my work. But we realized that once our son started elementary school HE would be an hour or more away. Not to mention that would pretty much kill any chance of trying to hit the road early. By that time my husband had graduated and started working not far from me, so we sold our home out in the burbs and moved to Candler Park.

Now my commute is 6 miles by car, 5.5 by foot, and 7 miles by bike (I take quiet streets when I bike). When I bike my commute is 35 minutes. When I run it's 50 minutes. I almost never drive but when I do it's ~15 minutes so long as there's nothing crazy going on (once, right before Thanksgiving it took me 40 min to drive home).

For me, it's just not worth the cheaper housing to commute that much and be so far away from my child during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta