Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 09:07 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,451,852 times

Advertisements

I just moved down here from Pittsburgh where the Penguins have sold out almost 200 games straight. It's really hard to get tickets to them. I'm a huge hockey fan, I played it most my life, I've gone to a few Thrasher games and they have a great arena.

That being said most hockey fans don't know why there are teams in the south. Nobody cares, no one goes to the games it's kind of a joke. With ATL it kinda sucks trying to get downtown for a game from the burbs. The team always sucks, they aren't managed well at all. The traffic getting to and from the games sucks, no wonder they dont sell tickets.

I think they will move in a few yrs, but not to Canada. The NHL doesn't want another Canadien team.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 09:10 PM

4,688 posts, read 7,983,921 times
traffic is not a factor because of marta

Old 02-17-2011, 09:14 PM

357 posts, read 780,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
traffic is not a factor because of marta

Old 02-17-2011, 09:22 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,085,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
I think they will move in a few yrs, but not to Canada. The NHL doesn't want another Canadien team.
Word on the street says it is between Winnipeg and Quebec. The NHL wants to be in Southern large markets like Atlanta. But unless a person is a northern transplant, s/he was probably not raised on hockey. It not a self-perpetuating fanbase as we don't have the weather for an ice skating culture for kids to grow up on.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:23 PM

124 posts, read 398,511 times
That would be a shame if they go. Thrashers games are sooo much fun. Everyone should go at least once. It really is an experience.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:29 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,451,852 times
Yeah Hockey is a great sport to see live. But if you didn't grow up playing it or watching it, you're not gonna be interested. All teams in the south are struggling. Nashville does ok as well as Raleigh and Dallas, But ATL, FLA and Tampa are all in the red. There are a few other teams too in the north that aren't doing well either.

Winnipeg is too small and doesn't have the corporate sponsers to bring in a team. Part of the reason they left for PHX. Quebec needs a new facility. I don't think they are going to be building one anytime soon. The NHL is doing everything possible to keep a team in PHX, I think they want to keep the Thrashers here as well, but it's a different situation. Kansas City has a new arena that's unoccupied, they are a contender as well as Seattle, and Portland.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:15 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,784,766 times
Not sure what you're talking about re: attendance. The Braves have drawn 3 million plus for several seasons which is very good, and the Falcons sell out every home game. The problem with hockey and basketball is that only half the market will EVER be interested in either (its a black vs white thang) and I don't know how you overcome that.

WILL AGREE THOUGH: the one Trashers game I went to was loads more fun than I anticipated.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:20 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,245,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by society619 View Post
Could Thrashers Leave Town? - 11Alive.com | WXIA | Atlanta, GA

Could the Atlanta Thrashers end up leaving Atlanta? That's what some fans think could happen. But one season ticket holder said he's not going to let it happen while sitting down. Chris Ciovacco, a Thrashers season ticket holder, is calling on civic leaders to step up before it's too late.
Oh my this is so unfortunate. I hope there is some way to motivate them to stay. I know we get free tickets at work all the time. I enjoy going when I can.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:47 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,094,477 times
I hope the Thrashers don't leave, but I have to admit. I was born and raised here and I have been to a Thrashers game twice. I just kind of forget they're there. They are really fun though. Maybe if they didn't suck so bad more people would come. They have done a thing since they came here in 1999.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:25 PM

349 posts, read 779,057 times
It's sad that Carolina, Tennessee, and Florida can keep teams but we can't. Hell, they already won a championship in Carolina and Florida I believe. Go Atlanta!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta