Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 01:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,298 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I know there are a LOT of other posts here about moving to Atlanta but I'm hoping someone can offer some advice to me. My partner and I (same-sex partners, parents to a fantastic 4-year-old son who was born in Vietnam) are looking to be in a nice house in a relatively safe area. We love Decatur and know about the good reputation of the schools there but we don't want to just focus there and miss out on someplace that might be good for us. We're not opposed to private school and I've found a few good ones just in case.

I found in another post that the following information would be helpful to you all in giving me advice so here goes:

Budget- would like to keep the price under $315k if possible
2. House/Condo/Townhome? House
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home): commute to Downtown
4. Children(public school vs. private): One. Public or Private school is fine
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: definitely ITP. Unless there's an accepting, diverse, open-minded area somewhere else
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Access to MARTA trains would be great
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Doesn't matter, really. Although, "progressive" is definitely something we'd like.

Thank you very much!
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 02:21 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,985,810 times
For an ITP experience akin to Decatur in a way it comes down to:

-Downtown East Point
-Downtown College Park
-Inman Park
-Candler Park
-Grant Park
-Brookhaven (in particular this area that has really taken off in the last few years but is brand new)

All have centralized train access (though for Grant Park and the Dresden part of Brookhaven it's in the vicinity a few blocks away)

East Point and College Park are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than all of the options above, but with a great quality housing stock.

Grant Park in some areas is still a bit "transitional", but worth it IMHO.

Candler Park and Inman Park will have in a lot of cases a slightly higher asking price for a house.

Which brings me to why a house? I assume it is because you want a place for your son to play in. If not, 300k can get you a really nice townhouse or high rise condo with a few bedrooms in other neighborhoods in the city.

Good luck on your search.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:15 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,044 times
Well, I'll admit I'm completely biased, but I don't think you can do any better than Decatur. There are some areas in DeKalb county outside of the City of Decatur where you money will probably go a little bit further (Leafmore/Oak Grove/Briarvista), but they would be in the DeKalb county school district, which are rather problematic at the moment.

Decatur sounds basically ideal for what you are looking for, and there are a variety of homes available at the moment in you price range. Of course, you're not going to have a huge house in Decatur on your budget, but hopefully you don't need a huge house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta