Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:01 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times

Advertisements

Which do you like the best and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 08:51 AM

2,534 posts, read 2,255,345 times
Stone Mountain! It's a great fun place for sightseeing, hike/climb and exercise outdoors with family and friends. Annual memberships are very inexpensive. We go at the least 2 times per month for exercise and recreation mostly. Closer to get to from Johns Creek/Suwanee area than Piedmont Park. Former co-worker held wedding ceremony there and it was beautiful. The laser show is pretty cool. Nice amenities and festivities.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:56 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times
Stone Mountain's cost is a non-issue for me. I just park in downtown Stone Mountain, walk to the park, then support a local business on my way back.

The comparison is tough, as I use the parks for different purposes. Both are incredible!

Old 02-20-2011, 11:15 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
NOT a fair comparison. One is an urban city park, the other is a state-owned resort in the suburbs. It's like asking which is better, Centennial Park or Six Flags. In fact, this is probably a better comparison:

SIX FLAGS or STONE MOUNTAIN?
PIEDMONT PARK or CENTENNIAL OLYMPIC PARK?

Old 02-20-2011, 11:45 AM

876 posts, read 2,278,167 times
Maybe they just want opinions. Both parks are fine for me, if someone asked me to choose, I would say it depends as they are quite different from one another.

Would I choose one of the other? It depends on why I am going to Piedmont or Stone Mountain. Piedmont is great for rollerblading, running, and some planned events. Same with Stone Mountain, but it features different attractions. You can easily spend more at Stone Mountain due to park fees, permanent venues and entrance fees. My favorite thing at Stone Mountain is climbing the mountain on the steep trail. These 2 parks are both great for getting outdoors. I think there are probably more things for kids to do at Stone Mountain than at Piedmont, but maybe someone can clarify if I am incorrect.

In summary, I like them both the same. When I lived closer to Piedmont, I went there more often and vice-versa for Stone Mountain. When I lived relatively close there, I made more visits to Stone Mountain when I was younger especially.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:06 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times
I hardly ever go to Stone Mountain as it is way out of the way for me. I live two blocks from Piedmont, so you'll catch me there frequently. I guess Stone Mountain is good for laser light shows, the winter thing (Snow Days), and a once every couple years cable ride to the top. The cost is slightly annoying to me, though ($20 for a cable ride on top of an entrance fee?).

Piedmont Park is great for convenience (not for parking if you don't live nearby), great for concerts, Spring on the Green (as long as it's not taken over by a more criminal/inner city element), jogging, meeting friends, just getting out, etc. I think overall Piedmont Park's manmade beauty is at least as scenic as Stone Mountain's natural beauty.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:20 PM

747 posts, read 1,544,230 times
Agree with jsimms. Piedmont feels like Atlanta's park, and it's literally my backyard so I feel a sense if loyalty to it. Nothing against Stone Mountain, but it's more of a special occassion place to me.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:28 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Stone Mountain Park hands down. It isn't even worth arguing.

but Stone Mtn Park is a large state park and Piedmont is a considerably smaller city park. so for some people it is size/amenities vs location. And for some people it is size/amenities/location vs.. blank..

Old 02-20-2011, 01:33 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
I Piedmont Park is great for convenience (not for parking if you don't live nearby), great for concerts, Spring on the Green (as long as it's not taken over by a more criminal/inner city element), jogging, meeting friends, just getting out, etc. I think overall Piedmont Park's manmade beauty is at least as scenic as Stone Mountain's natural beauty.
No way. Stone Mountain's rock is awe inspiring with a great view from the top. Piedmont Park is very ordinary as parks go.

I'm uncertain though if the rock carving was a good idea. Impressive work of art but sort of defiles nature's handiwork.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:04 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,255,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Stone Mountain Park hands down. It isn't even worth arguing.

but Stone Mtn Park is a large state park and Piedmont is a considerably smaller city park. so for some people it is size/amenities vs location. And for some people it is size/amenities/location vs.. blank..
I agree. There will be differences in opinion due to reasons for visiting either park. I will add that if someone is looking for recreation and some fun then Stone Mountain it is, if it's a stroll in the park, reading, catching some sun, watch an event (when there is one) then Piedmont Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta