Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:29 PM

434 posts, read 1,041,135 times

Advertisements

This winter was similar to last year's but we recieved a bit more snow. Unlike last winter where it stayed fairly cold and chilly from Turkey day 09 to the last days of March 2010, this one we are having a nice Feb warm up. This is GA and along w/ the rest of the south we are not palm tree country like FL and CA. So I'm quite sure it will get cold again, might even snow again. So don't say winter is over yet. March can be chilly and mild/warm(usually a mix but some are colder than avg) and almost like clockwork we will get a day like 51/32 in ealry April! I am keeping my fingers crossed for a nice mild to warm March 2011, though. Lets see what happens......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 02:23 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,283 times
Even with Easter being so late, I'm afraid we'll still get one of our legendary "Easter snaps." Just in time to kill all your annuals and put your azaleas in jeopardy. I was looking at my daffodils this morning and just shaking my head. They really are the silliest plants.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:00 PM

17 posts, read 27,350 times
Hate to sound goofy but how cold does it have to get to snow? I'm in Florida, only seen snow on TV lol and am moving to ATL in the fall --> defintely not looking forward to going north for winter (yeah, I know it's crazy that GA is "north")

Old 02-22-2011, 10:05 PM

132 posts, read 268,006 times
Ya, it doesn't usually snow in Fl but generally snow is possible when the surface air temperature is at or below 35 degrees. We've had a very snowy season this year, with over 6 inches not including ice accumulations!!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:41 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmrtt View Post
This winter was similar to last year's but we recieved a bit more snow. Unlike last winter where it stayed fairly cold and chilly from Turkey day 09 to the last days of March 2010, this one we are having a nice Feb warm up. This is GA and along w/ the rest of the south we are not palm tree country like FL and CA. So I'm quite sure it will get cold again, might even snow again. So don't say winter is over yet. March can be chilly and mild/warm(usually a mix but some are colder than avg) and almost like clockwork we will get a day like 51/32 in ealry April! I am keeping my fingers crossed for a nice mild to warm March 2011, though. Lets see what happens......
Actually, from what I remember last winter, it was consistently cold from Thanksgiving 2009 through the end of February 2010, but once the calendar rolled over to March, it warmed up noticeably. It went from chilly/cold to mild. If you remember, February 2010 is when the Mid-Atlantic got belted by multiple blizzards, but that stopped once March started because of a pattern change. March was mild as a result, and April was very warm -- and then the summer was blazing hot.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:33 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
This is true. We had our last ice storm in February, I think about mid-way through. I remember because I was in Angola at the time.

I remember last Winter being so much worse than this Winter. I remember it being cold and rainy for most of it. I spend a lot of time outside, either biking to work or running, and I remember a lot more bike commuting in the rain and I remember a lot more of my marathon training being miserably wet and cold. This winter has been a little colder at times, but a lot drier. All in all, more pleasant.

Of course, we did have the January snow event, which means the weather was more extreme at times.

But at least it wasn't a cold and damp Winter...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta