Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 02:31 PM

100 posts, read 429,399 times

Advertisements

I have Comcast VOIP as well. My Ackerman monitoring does not use a standard or VOIP phone line at all. The system communicates with the monitoring center through a wireless signal (having nothing to do with my own wireless service).

And I believe that thieves will cut through a window to avoid the sensors. There was a story on the news last year about thieves removing siding and busting right through exterior walls to avoid tripping door and window alarms!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 02:39 PM

504 posts, read 1,545,642 times
Some of the window sensors work on the sound of glass breaking and others actually have two parts two them that alert when the circuit is broken and the alarm is set to on. A thief is just guessing a lot of time as to what you might have. If they can cut the glass without to much noise a glass break sensor won't trip. Incidentally I put sash locks on all the windows. They are relatively cheap and it's already kept some thieves out (probably about $3 a piece). It didn’t keep them from breaking the glass in the window, but it either would have taken them to long to get in or they didn't want to bother crawling through a bunch of broken glass to get in. Two big tips though for deterrence. Keep all bushes trimmed back. Motion activated flood lights are a good to have. If you notice anything that seems kind of weird, investigate it. Thieves like to test the boundaries. I once noticed a very slight bend in the frame on my outside storage room door. I didn't think to much about it even though it seemed odd until a few weeks later they came back, broke in and stole the washer and dryer. So they were testing the door. Anyway, that's some more of my advice. Hopefully you won't ever really need this stuff, but it is good to have just in case.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:44 PM

I guess I should have said "keyed sash locks". Just do a google search for them.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
I've said this before but I'll repeat it - there is window film called "impact resistant" film that some other companies call "burglary film". You apply it to your window glass and it makes it much harder to break. The longer it takes someone to break in, and the more noise it makes, the less likely they are to finish it as they don't want to draw attention to what they're doing.

Obviously if you're changing the windows in your home it's better to actually request glass that has already been treated with this type of film, but the type you get yourself is better than just plain glass, too. In conjunction with the sash locks someone mentioned earlier, it does make windows or sliding doors less appealing and harder to get into.

Also of note, if your area is so bad you feel you must get burglar bars, ask about the newer sets that have safety release mechanisms inside so you can pop them open from indoors in the even of a fire. As has been seen recently on the news, the old "permanently bolted in" style can do more harm than good to the occupants if there's a fire.

Regarding local systems: As someone mentioned, Broadview/Brinks is now part of ADT which is what I use. They are supposedly one of the top rated services. I use the cellular backup system so if anyone messes with the phone line it won't effect the notification. But on my own, I also put in some very loud home-installed devices that go off VERY loudly the moment anyone attempts to get in, before the ADT stuff even senses it - this alerts the neighbors, and I live on a street with mostly retirees and/or at-home workers who are very diligent about watching/listening to what is going on, on the street. Someone did try to pry open my back door storm door once - and the second the alarm went off, my two neighbors behind me called the police AND had taken photos of the person with cameras (they ran without attempting to go further). It pays to know your neighbors these days.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:38 PM

I couldn't agree more with your last post atlantagreg30127. I actually did get a roll of 8mm window vinyl from eBay, but haven't been able to install it yet as I was painting all the window frames. I will be putting it on within the next two weeks. Got a 5'-0" x 50'-0" roll from eBay for about $200. Of course the thicker the vinyl/film is the stronger it will be. It would probably cost about 10x that to have it done by a pro. I think X10 and some other web sites have the DIY alarms that you can use to augment the other security system installed by the alarm companies if needed.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:23 PM

5 posts, read 13,757 times
Hi all,

thanks for all your responses. I really appreciate them.

Good to know about the vinyl film. thanks atlantagreg30127 and sjuraud.

@sjuraud, please let us know how your installation of vinyl film went through.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:28 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utthi View Post
Good to know about the vinyl film. thanks atlantagreg30127 and sjuraud.

@sjuraud, please let us know how your installation of vinyl film went through.
Additional notes:

You apply the film with soapy water and a squeegee device, and once it dries it hardens onto the glass. As I said, it makes it harder for someone to break the glass, and as an added bonus, provides some extra protection should the glass break during a bad storm/wind, too. I'll repeat though, having it installed on glass BEFORE the glass is put into a sash/frame is better, or if you can afford it, having "laminated" glass (glass with film layered in-between two layers of glass) is even stronger (and more expensive).

Now, you can overdo anything here. A "real" burglar can get into just about any house if they really want to do it. But a pro burglar usually only messes with a sure thing - a house where he knows the contents of it, and it's stuff that will fetch a good pawn price, etc. This is why many times when they catch a burglar who has broken into a fairly pricey home, it seems like they just knew where to look for the good stuff - they either know the home owner or have worked in their home, etc. 90% of the burglaries in Atlanta are not done by pros - they're teens or just barely older, doing smash-and-grabs to grab what they can in a very short period of time, rush out, and then TRY to sell the stuff later on the street or at a pawn shop if they got anything of value.

If you think of security in terms of layers, it helps: Keep shrubs cut short in front of windows, have good security lights and USE them, keeping your doors/windows locked are layer 1. Putting home-installed loud noise makers that go off before someone even breaks into a window or door, that could alert neighbors, and adding window film and long screws to doors, is layer 2. Then, having that monitored security system that triggers an alert to a monitoring station with a cell signal if they actually start to get into the home is layer 3. A layer 4 would be having security cameras to potentially catch those who do anything after-the-fact. Again, this all may cost some $$, but not that much if you shop around and do some of it yourself. Sounds like overkill to some, not enough(?) to others. You pick.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:38 AM

I'll let you know how it goes. I'll take some before and after photos. The film will stay somewhat foggy for about 30 days until all of the slip (water/soap mixture) drys. There are videos of how to install this stuff online if you're interested in getting some. Just do a search for "security film installation".

Old 03-07-2011, 07:42 AM

Incidentally also, hardware stores have a kit to apply this sort of material. It's similar to tools used to apply car window tinting. Amazon.com: Gila Complete Window Film Application Kit: Home Improvement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: