Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 12:28 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times

Advertisements

Perhaps some of you caught this in the paper but, if you haven't, you might want to know that the Mayor and his staff have made a decision to buy 2 Denali's for Kasim and staff over the aging 2007 Taurus he now drives. This is part of a 10 million dollar package to upgrade Atlanta's fleet. The Denali's are expected to cost between 56 and 61K before adding lights, sirens and any other goodies the staff deem appropriate.

There is a security expert in this AJC article mentioning that it is about time. He believes the mayor will be safer from bullets and assassins as well as his staff. Oh and yeah, there's a part in there mentioning that it will serve to "elevate" his stature amongst visiting dignitaries. I guess visiting dignitaries are checking what Mayor's drive nowadays so I guess this is important. What do they do, show up with clipboards?

Are you kidding me?

You are the mayor of a major city who at best, is bleeding. Schools are shutting down, you have a 3 billion dollar sewer crisis, companies fleeing uptown and to the suburbs.....and you need 2 Denali's??? Comment removed - not related to topic being brought up and not appropriate. Move it on.... The kind of thing that gets suburbanites angry when Fulton County pisses their money away over and over and over.....repeat.....How insulated can you be to the situation we are all in?

Some people just don't f'in get it. Denali's. I guess a few Crown Vics (yes, they do still make them for fleet, ergo, cop cars and taxis....) couldn't get you by, huh? If you are worried about your image, perhaps you should take a look around Atlanta and see that you really have much bigger problems than the hooptie you roll in.....word.......we have a city in turmoil, just as you say you found it (and without a doubt, will leave it in when you are gone) and you need $120,000 for two new Denali's? I guess classism is alive and well in da hood after all. This move is to Black Politicians what Bull Conner is to White Politicians. An embarrassment. A joke. A flat out idiotic move. Do yourself a favor, fire your advisors. They really, really just don't get it. That, or all of you get your tails over to the White House as they are apparently out of touch with the economy as well. Gas is over $3 a gallon...and rising......and you need 2 Denaili's??? Pure ego....pure ego.....hey, but according to the article, they DO have leather so I guess it's worth it for that alone? Why put your kiester in anything but mediocre cow hide eh? Want to impress your audience and toy around with the idea of lead by example? By a Chevy Volt. A Prius (and no, we won't think you're gay for driving one....or will we???? hmmmmmmmmmm), a Nissan Leaf.....you know, show you are human just like the rest of us.....show us you "care"...about what? I have absolutely no idea.....sigh....

But wait, there's more....Let's pick apart all the reasons your staff says you need one....er two.......shall we?

Safety: According to at least one expert, you need these for safety. Well my tall smooooooove talking friend, unless you plan on spending ANOTHER 40K armoring those gems, you have no more safety margin in those than you would a Crown Vic. In case you folks don't know how a car door is put together, the outer layer that you see is a glorifed thin sheet of flexible metal...almost like a sheet of mylar. You can literally wave it in the breeze and watch it flex. The frame underneath adds little protection as does any sound deading foam or insulators. Now, on to the inner pannel which can't stop a .22 let alone anything of potency. No, these doors are as easy to defeat with an AK (7.62X39, the caliber and weapon of choice for most mal-contents) or AR-15/M-16/MP-9, 12 gauge with 00 buck. No, hate to break it to you friend. That Denali has no more bullet stopping power than the Crown Vic as they sit from the factory. While GMC has made great strides in improving the overall mediocre quality of their cars over these last few decades, I don't think their Kevlar models have quite made it to the showroom just yet.....And while they are improving the technology, the chances of these stopping a bullet are about as good as those bodyguards taking one for the home team.....not.....

Comment removed - not related to topic being brought up and is ranting - not adding to the argument. Move it on....

And while Denali's are relatively safer in a crash than a Taurus, a pile up of Crown Vics is probably just as good overall....if that situation arises, maybe you guys can flip one just like we see in the movies....sure.....you know, the infamous scene of where a Crown Vic comes up over the trunk spiraling in mid-air only to land on it's side and roll a few dozen times before coming to a stop with all passengers unharmed.....impressive.....get's the sympathy vote....try that with a Denali or two and it just comes off as "clumsy"....besides, we can't use the obious title for THAT movie: The Fast and the Furious....no, we will have to opt more for something like: "The Lame and the Curious".....tough sell....

Image: Comment removed - rant - Move it on....

If you are concerned about your status try fixing a few things first. Quit talking...fix......What the heck, try saving a buck or two or 120k as the case may be....Try making the city a bit safer. Try running the garbage out...try bringing a few jobs in...try selling the Airport to the state this time for a cool 2 billion....maybe that would come in handy during these challenging times??? Comment removed - not related to topic being brought up and not appropriate. Move it on....

Aging Fleet: Hey Henry Belafonte, Day-O this! I'm driving a 12 year old Camry and you say you can't "get by" with a 4 year old Taurus? What kind of mechanics do you have down there???....oh never mind, I have a friend who has tried to work with that intelligencia for years.....yeah, it's not quite like a private sector mechanic....is it? I guess under their guidance a 2007 Taurus doesn't stand a chance of going much more than 4 years.....try a Camry next time.....runs great.. mine does.....and besides, that recall turned out to be a thick floor mat. Ford and their generations of recalls should be so lucky.....Yeah....I guess a 2007 Taurus driven by the mayor just can't take those arduous duty cycles.....funny, the Crown Vic's are known for running 500,000 to 1,000,000 miles in fleet.....hmmmmmmm.....hold that thought.....

Comment removed - ranting. Move it on....

2011 Denali: $61,000
Sirens and Lights: $5,000
Spinners and hydraulics: $10,000
Paint Protection: $500
Buying a car like this when gas is over $3/gallon and getting your constituents to pay the bill: Priceless

You just can't make this stuff up and believe me, I try.....

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 02-28-2011 at 08:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 12:44 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times
I'm fine with it, personally. As long as Mayor Reed does not get to keep the cars after his term (s) are over. I'm actually surprised they didn't already have something similar.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:56 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Some question why Reed needs pricey SUV *| ajc.com

Must you always write an essay on here?

Either way, they could have easily gotten Tahoes or Expeditions for less than the price of the Denalis.

I wonder, what model are the other 9 suvs in the order...

Last edited by PKCorey; 02-27-2011 at 01:14 AM..

Old 02-27-2011, 12:56 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Caleb, I am in full agreement with you on the finacial aspect of this, but why add all of the racial nonsense?

Particularly when the doltish COO of the City of Atlanta that tried to justify this rather ridiculous purchase is white as seen here at the 1 minute and 50 second mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnSYZfsb6-A

Old 02-27-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
I'm fine with it, personally. As long as Mayor Reed does not get to keep the cars after his term (s) are over. I'm actually surprised they didn't already have something similar.
Don't you think he could have gotten by just as well on a few Expeditions costing 20K less??? Each???

Old 02-27-2011, 01:05 AM

876 posts, read 2,278,549 times
Caleb, you are rather verbose in most of your posts, but I mostly side with your view.

I think these Denalis are too expensive myself and Reed should purchase cheaper cars to use as Mayor, especially given the current economic climate and ongoing problems in the City of Atlanta.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Caleb, I am in full agreement with you on the finacial aspect of this, but why add all of the racial nonsense?

Particularly when the doltish COO of the City of Atlanta that tried to justify this rather ridiculous purchase is white as seen here at the 1 minute and 50 second mark:

Purely humor....ergo the reference to Bull Connor....I'm actually hopeful he will do what the last few mayors did not.....and then this....it just doesn't make any sense....the jabs were just for effect.....I could have just as easily leveled them at what's his name that used to run the airport....it's more intended at the stereotype with the vehicle....I believe he could have accomplished his needs with a vehicle costings thousand less.....Expedition or Tahoes....this is WAY over the top.....

Old 02-27-2011, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
Caleb, you are rather verbose in most of your posts, but I mostly side with your view.

I think these Denalis are too expensive myself and Reed should purchase cheaper cars to use as Mayor, especially given the current economic climate and ongoing problems in the City of Atlanta.

Yeah, I toss out a few too many hyperbole's but it's merely used to keep the eyes on target as this is a horrible venue for texting and finishing...it is...what it is.....if people can't find the humor well....then I guess they can always move on....if you read the blogs long enough, they just become so dry....I don't wish Kasim or any of his staff any malice....it's bar room chatter at best.....some of the stuff I read is beyond dry.....

This mayor has the chance to do some good things and seems sincere...where the heck where his advisors?????? How can you do such a stupid thing in this current economy????

Old 02-27-2011, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Some question why Reed needs pricey SUV *| ajc.com

Must you always write an essay on here?

If the suvs did go in for armor materials, I doubt they would release this information at all. Either way, they could have easily gotten Tahoes or Expeditions for the price of the Denalis. I wonder, what model are the other 9 suvs in the order...
Hey, when you are passionate about a subject.....besides, when you leave anything out, people just assume you don't/cant' cover it....when I read this it became visceral...believe it or not, I can keep it brief when the situation warrants but, this was just too tempting. This guy is smarter than this....

I'm sure the other SUV's are more modest....they have to be. I think I understand the image intent but, do people really, really care if it's a Denali or a Tahoe...aren't the Tahoe's and Expeditions "good enough"?

Old 02-27-2011, 01:19 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

They paid sticker price for the suv's? . Unbelievable. I'm sure the salesman was happy though...

Looks to be a standard Denali and Denali XL. They could easily gotten a Tahoe and Suburban for $10-30k cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta