Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I move to Marietta GA or Arlington VA?
Marietta GA 31 44.93%
Arlington VA 38 55.07%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:56 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBeingMe404 View Post
I was on unemployment 2 years ago, Terrence. There were a few extensions passed in DC that allowed me to continue past the normal 6 months. I think now, those receiving benefits can go up to 99 weeks in many cases (I think the unemployment rate of their state has to exceed the nat'l average, if I'm not mistaken). But even without the added extension, you can collect for a year. And though some counties monitor your job search activities, most of them now are so understaffed and overtaxed that they don't have the resources to really check. Even when I was on unemployment I never once turned in those green sheets, nor did I ever have to verify anything.

Shoooooot, a year's paid vacation with the risk of not finding a job by the time the benefits expire? I'd take that gamble. I have no dependents and no credit card debt. I can defer my student loans, and continue paying my car note and still have $1000 left over each month. LOL.

Though I'm making light of it, I truly do realize that people do fall on hard times; I was one of them. Though I never benefited from Sec. 8 or food stamps, I'm grateful that my unemployment insurance helped me out and I'm grateful to be gainfully employed.

All in jest....

Well... 79% jest...
I know about the green sheets. In Virginia it is done online and your check will be stopped real quick if you forget about turning in your job search info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 09:29 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
considering the posters name, the low post count, and the topic of the post, i'd say this is a bait/shock post.
Probably right .. my guess is that's a Georgia c****er trying to stir up some hate. <yawn> ... isn't there enough of that already?

Old 03-03-2011, 12:43 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBeingMe404 View Post
Wow. I'm also quite curious as to what the max payout is in Atlanta for Section 8 housing.

Also, I'm a bit confused. I thought the purpose of Sec 8 wasn't to pay your entire rent, but to help with rent. I know a few Sec 8 landlords and they usually get the majority of their rent payments from the gov't and the balance from their tenants. I thought HUD paid a portion and the tenant was expected to pay a portion.

I'm not hating or being rude; I know people fall on hard times and stuff... but dang, all jokes aside, if I could get the $345/week max in unemployment, $600 monthly max in food stamps, and a voucher that paid my entire rent... I truly would not need to work. Like seriously. **not being facetious**
i can speak from experience on this. as i have a few units in the section 8 program. section 8 is a great program for the RIGHT type of person. all of my properties are in very nice well to do neighborhoods. the section 8 families that I rent to are families who have been screened and are looking for a better life for their children. unfortunately you will have a few bad apples that threaten to spoil the bunch (i had this one tenant who was a sweet old lady by day but had a house full of hoodlums at night) but for the most part, at least in my case, my tenants have treated my houses with care and they have been respectful of their surroundings. Also, Section 8 doesn't pay all of the rent, they pay the majority of it but not all of it. The tenants are required to pay a portion of it. For instance, I have a house that I rent for $2,200 a month. The tenant pays $600 and Section 8 pays the remainder. They are required to have some form of income coming in. This can be child support, SSI, a job, whatever. I'm not sure where people get the idea that section 8 people don't have any money coming in. It's a big difference between living in the projects and living in a section 8 property. You couldn't pay me to live in a project dwelling. Also, Section 8 has nothing to do with food vouchers or unemployment. Those are totally different programs. Just because one receives one does not mean they receive the other. I hope this clears up some things for you guys.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:23 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
i can speak from experience on this. as i have a few units in the section 8 program. section 8 is a great program for the RIGHT type of person. all of my properties are in very nice well to do neighborhoods. the section 8 families that I rent to are families who have been screened and are looking for a better life for their children. unfortunately you will have a few bad apples that threaten to spoil the bunch (i had this one tenant who was a sweet old lady by day but had a house full of hoodlums at night) but for the most part, at least in my case, my tenants have treated my houses with care and they have been respectful of their surroundings. Also, Section 8 doesn't pay all of the rent, they pay the majority of it but not all of it. The tenants are required to pay a portion of it. For instance, I have a house that I rent for $2,200 a month. The tenant pays $600 and Section 8 pays the remainder. They are required to have some form of income coming in. This can be child support, SSI, a job, whatever. I'm not sure where people get the idea that section 8 people don't have any money coming in. It's a big difference between living in the projects and living in a section 8 property. You couldn't pay me to live in a project dwelling. Also, Section 8 has nothing to do with food vouchers or unemployment. Those are totally different programs. Just because one receives one does not mean they receive the other. I hope this clears up some things for you guys.
The mind boggles.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:44 PM

334 posts, read 528,610 times
Quote:
Also, Section 8 has nothing to do with food vouchers or unemployment. Those are totally different programs. Just because one receives one does not mean they receive the other. I hope this clears up some things for you guys.
That part, I know. I didn't mean to imply that they were all interconnected. I raised a family member's child and when she first came into my home, I was told that I could receive TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) no matter what my income. I guess this is because they'd rather have the child placed with a blood relative than placed into the foster care system. Anyway, when I went to apply for the TANF, the worker suggested I apply for all the other programs as well (Food Stamps, Section 8, Medicaid, etc.). I applied for everything, but didn't qualify for anything except the TANF, which was automatically approved.

I know that Section 8 has nothing to do with food stamps or unemployment or any other welfare program.

Thanks for answering the other questions, though. The OP made it seem like she was looking for a spot that was less than what the state would pay her so that she wouldn't have to come out of pocket at all and that sounded odd to me.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:07 PM

So you could be getting unemployment, food stamps, TANF, Medicaid, Peachcare, SSI, free breakfast and lunch for the kids, etc., etc., and still get $2,000 a month for rent?

Old 03-03-2011, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,031 times
Default Should I move to Marietta GA or Arlington VA

Dont pay any of those cowards any mind. I have a section 8 housing voucher and just recently moved from Maryland to Georgia.
It has alot of houses here for that price point, the only thing is the jobs are scarce. You can find you a beautiful 3 bedroom here in GA. Another problem is that people do not know how to conduct business professionally. The reason why you can not get anybody on the phone, is because "these" people are ignorant to how things are suppose to be done. It is totally different from up north, where things are handled properly.
The cost of living is great. You definitely can get your monies worth!

Old 03-05-2011, 09:24 AM

864 posts, read 1,123,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie73 View Post
Dont pay any of those cowards any mind. I have a section 8 housing voucher and just recently moved from Maryland to Georgia.
It has alot of houses here for that price point, the only thing is the jobs are scarce. You can find you a beautiful 3 bedroom here in GA. Another problem is that people do not know how to conduct business professionally. The reason why you can not get anybody on the phone, is because "these" people are ignorant to how things are suppose to be done. It is totally different from up north, where things are handled properly.
The cost of living is great. You definitely can get your monies worth!
Take your welfare ass back up north then. Know one asked you to bring your ass down here, live off the system and then complian.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:28 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
So you could be getting unemployment, food stamps, TANF, Medicaid, Peachcare, SSI, free breakfast and lunch for the kids, etc., etc., and still get $2,000 a month for rent?

Why not? There are lots of greedy, selfish, evil people like me to pay for it....right? Or maybe not?

Old 03-05-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Why not? There are lots of greedy, selfish, evil people like me to pay for it....right? Or maybe not?
It's just crazy. You can't run a sustainable society when you've got some folks working and others living for free.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta