Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 07:18 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,713,828 times

Advertisements

As much as we ***** about summer weather, we are damn lucky we don't live a few hundred miles west of here. Take Fort Smith, Arkansas, 115 yesterday. Plus we are getting rain, I recorded over 2 inches at my house last night and prospects for a lot more look good for the next 10 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 09:02 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,561,432 times
Yes and thanks for your concern, brent. We're 1000 miles to the west...central Texas. We've had TWO days below 100 degrees this summer(MANY more 100+ days in the spring) and practically NO rain this YEAR! Driest Sept to July period in the history of recording such things. Nearly A YEAR behind on rain!

When we moved from Sandy Springs three years ago, 'y'all' were just exiting the drought(and then had flooding) and filling Lake Lanier. OUR drought started about then...now the fourth record-setting hot/dry summer in a row!

I surely miss the beauty of the Atlanta area, along with the rain showers and fronts moving through periodically. Don't miss the purple smog days but I sure wish I could walk outside and not immediately turn into a ball of sweat!

Y'all take care and send us some rain, IF it's not too much trouble.

5 Day Weather Forecast and Conditions for 78717

Old 08-04-2011, 09:23 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,138,167 times
Hope you guys get a lot of category 1 hurricanes.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:08 PM

197 posts, read 516,053 times
Texas is in a lot of trouble, the drought they are having is way beyond what we had here. Look at these photos of what was 5,400 acre O.C. Fisher Lake which is now nothing more than a puddle:

PhotoBlog - Drought in Texas nearly dries out lake

Old 08-04-2011, 12:20 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,713,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamKeeper View Post
Texas is in a lot of trouble, the drought they are having is way beyond what we had here. Look at these photos of what was 5,400 acre O.C. Fisher Lake which is now nothing more than a puddle:

PhotoBlog - Drought in Texas nearly dries out lake

Yes, it is amazing, our drought cannot compare to this.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:39 AM

738 posts, read 1,378,290 times
I agree. As much as I despise summer in Atlanta, I am indeed thankful not to live where it's worse. At least our proximity to the mountains makes it somewhat tolerable.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:23 PM

388 posts, read 1,126,681 times
I love the summer here. It was 102 in Athens Wednesday and I did an hour on my bike(as I do everyday).
The hotter the better for me. We need rain here though, we are down 6.5 inches YTD.
Check with me this Winter. I hate the cold. I'll be moving to the Keys as soon as the last kid gets out of high school.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:13 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,938,780 times
With so little rain, where does Texas get its drinking water? How can Texas sustain such rapiid population growth when it's this hot and dry? Curious ...

Old 08-07-2011, 09:00 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,561,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
With so little rain, where does Texas get its drinking water? How can Texas sustain such rapiid population growth when it's this hot and dry? Curious ...
An interesting question, indeed. Fortunately, we have these aquifer thingies and not all of the water supply is sitting on the surface disappearing(as is the case with many area lakes). Of course, the aquifers are not immune to the effects of the drought; but one or two of our Texas 'frog-stranglers' would go a long way toward re-charging the underground systems.

Having a short-term effect on central Texas growth was the economic downturn of the past few years. The folks are still coming, but the development slowed considerably, probably for the better. The rest of this decade will be mighty interesting, that's for sure.

Here's the Edwards Aquifer...a major water supply for the Austin area:
Introduction to the Edwards Aquifer

BTW, 'our' Lake Travis is looking a LOT like Lanier did in '07/'08...about the fifth lowest level since the lake was built. Some of the same political 'games' are played here(rice production, etc down toward the Gulf) regarding the rights of the people and critters living downstream. LOTS o' water being released daily from Travis, much the same as Lanier feeding the power 'plants', mussels and shrimp in AL and FL.

Today will set another record for consecutive 100 degree days. There is not a 'below 100 degrees' day forecast in the next two weeks. Dang! We need to make our trip back to Atlanta(and Highlands) NOW!

Old 08-08-2011, 02:06 PM

197 posts, read 516,053 times
Here is an interesting video on CNN about a small town in Texas that has just ran out of water:

CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News

I hope they start getting some type of precipitation soon because you can't live without water. You can struggle for a while without electricity, gas etc but not water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta