Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 07:25 PM

357 posts, read 780,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post
As citizens, we need to make our voices heard that this is unacceptable. I am starting to get sour on Mayor Reed. Has there even been a press conference addressing the robberies? It's almost like the city doesnt care about this area. I dont know what is more embarassing: the area itself or the fact that the city doesnt care.
I agree 100% with you... With the city of atl needs is someone like rudy giuliani. Giuliani cleaned up NYC to the point where it become one of the safest cities in the US. It seems like nothing is ever addressed with regards to crime here in atlanta...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 08:07 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,081,749 times
I think...that the City of Atlanta can't donate Woodruff Park or even Hurt Park to GSU. Probably a legal technically dealing with the initial donations. I believe Georgia Tech's "Burger Bowl" really belongs to the City of Atlanta as a park but since GT surrounds it, it is de facto Georgia Tech property. It would be harder for GSU to gain virtual control of both Woodruff and Hurt Parks. That surrounding real estate is really expensive. I heard in the Atlanta Business Chronicle that GSU wanted to buy the foreclosed Equitable Building but I guess they couldn't strike a deal with its present owners.

Underground is listed as being 12 acres so GSU would have no problem filling it. Perhaps make that area intensely student housing with street level retail, again like GT's Tech Square. All of GSU's fraternities and sororities could be housed there as well. GSU's present Greek housing doesn't cut it. Not sure what to do with the "underground" part...student parking?

Old 03-09-2011, 08:09 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,081,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomno00 View Post
I agree 100% with you... With the city of atl needs is someone like rudy giuliani. Giuliani cleaned up NYC to the point where it become one of the safest cities in the US. It seems like nothing is ever addressed with regards to crime here in atlanta...
Atlanta has to do something. I doubt the proposed multi-modal station will be a solution. Just like GSU it will be a source of more victims.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:28 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,507,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Parting shot. I used to work downtown for a short while at 55 Marietta Street. I parked about 70 yards down the street at a parking deck across from the Georgia Bar Association. Without fail, I was panhandled in the morning and most evenings as I worked late. I could literally run the distance between the two in 15 seconds if need be. On multiple occassions I saw both Policemen and Bobbies witness the event....they merely looked at me, caught eye contact, and looked away.
On a side note, I had an interesting panhandling experience the other day. At first the young man offered to show me the shortcut to my car. I told him I'd pass on that (in so many words).

His next gambit was to adopt a high falsetto and pull up his shirt and stick out his belly. "Oh, help me, please, I'm a homeless mother and 8 months pregnant!" I don't mean to be disrespectful but I couldn't help but bust out laughing. He told me to eff off but if he'd stuck around I might have given him a buck for creativity.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:32 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,521,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
The students definitely need to get some street smarts and not only get off their phones, but act as if they do not have a phone in their posession when walking down the street. Just plain stupid. This kind of behavior invites crime. This is like the people who buy a new HDTV on Saturday, put the box out on the curb and then wonder why their house was broken into on Monday while they were at work.

Smartphone users targeted by street robbers *| ajc.com
Who are they gonna learn Street Smarts from Young Jeezy?? Man they will never learn it from their suburban parents. Its weird you place the blame on them. How would you expect the normal citizen to be familiar with The gangster code of conduct?? Thats crazy man.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
After reading about the history of Underground, I think I might agree with arjay and kwh that it should be shuttered (if not able to support itself), and perhaps reopened once some time passes.

Unfortunately, the area between Five Points station and Garnett Station is just so rough these days that something desperately needs to change; it's negatively impacting Woodruff Park and Fairlie Poplar. I was considering moving to the area recently, but I've decided to stick with Midtown. I'm far from squeamish when it comes to urban situations, but the evening I decided to take a stroll along in the area to check it out, I was outright harassed as I walked down the street (called KKK and a derogatory term for gay), and decided I wouldn't be comfortable with my girlfriend walking around there at night. And it's a shame: during the day, Woodruff Park and points north seem to be getting better. The number of students wandering around is crazy.

It's too bad; the potential is incredible, especially given the rise of Castleberry Hill.

On a related note, why in the world did they choose to build the jail by Garnett station? That's kind of an impediment to turning the area around, to put it lightly. (Maybe there was some good reason; I don't know.)
The Jail!...thats funny when I moved here in 08 that was the first landmark I saw upclose. Right by the GreyHound Station & Magick City. Is it the APD jail or Fulton Co?? No one could ever tell me. What is this "Rite Street" place rappers are always bragging about?? Is this the same jail?? I remember taking my uhaul truck to the uhaul facility around the block. The area looked rough, but not as ghetto as the downtown back in Florida. Hopefully someone can clarify.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post
As citizens, we need to make our voices heard that this is unacceptable. I am starting to get sour on Mayor Reed. Has there even been a press conference addressing the robberies? It's almost like the city doesnt care about this area. I dont know what is more embarassing: the area itself or the fact that the city doesnt care.
It would take someone powerful & connected getting hurt for their to be an uproar. True indeed it is suburban white kids getting victimized. But if one of these kids was say the grandkid of say Ted Turner, The Cox family or the Home Depot founder, their critism would be heard everywhere!! Its happen to regular kids with regular parents that dont have the power to hurt the image of the mayor or APD. Welcome to Atlanta where criminal always win.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,339,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomno00 View Post
Read Freakonomics. Guiliani had less to do w/ cleaning up NYC and more w/ promoting himself as having fixed crime in NYC. Crime fell 30% before he even got into office. Legalization of abortion in the '70's appears to have taken off many more potential criminals than getting tough on crime.

Also don't forget about gentrification via Wall Street buying up all the affordable properties in Manhattan. Criminals don't really like riding a train half an hour each way to go mug someone.

ATL is actually much safer than it used to be in the '80's. The difference is GSU is much larger now and there are many more students living in the area than when it was purely a commuter college.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:12 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,206,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Who are they gonna learn Street Smarts from Young Jeezy?? Man they will never learn it from their suburban parents. Its weird you place the blame on them. How would you expect the normal citizen to be familiar with The gangster code of conduct?? Thats crazy man.
I have suburban parents, and I learned it.

If you *** on your cellphone or text while walking around downtown, then you are not fully aware of your surroundings, and you're setting yourself up to be a victim. Not only by being less able to defend yourself, but also by flaunting your tech devices which are desirable to thieves.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:58 AM

461 posts, read 1,064,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
What is this "Rite Street" place rappers are always bragging about?? Is this the same jail??
I think that would be Rice St (which is not the same) which dead ends into Marietta St on the west side which is a Fulton County Jail. I used to live on Rice St back in the day. On Sunday mornings it was like night of the living dead. Prisoners got released in a big flood and the church at the other end of Rice St had a homeless soup kitchen, about as close to a Zombie apocalypse as you'll get before Halloween
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta