Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite city in NOFCO?
Milton 1 4.35%
Johns Creek 5 21.74%
Alpharetta 4 17.39%
Roswell 13 56.52%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 03:15 PM

416 posts, read 972,429 times

Advertisements

Roswell has that Krispy Kreme on Hwy 9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 03:36 PM

697 posts, read 3,021,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
^^^ all true, but neighboring towns can use the facilities of Roswell for a price.
Yeah, and I realized that I neglected to make a point I meant to earlier, which is that beyond a few things like paying higher non-resident fees for certain things, it matters less what municipality you're in than it does what general area you're in. I can almost literally throw a rock into Alpharetta or John's Creek from my house, and the overall experience/quality of life of residents who're nominally in those towns but within a mile or two of me is essentially the same as mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Alpharetta has a highly developed park system though, and many recreation programs too.
They do, but I was shocked a while back when I did a side-by-side comparison of the program brochures for Alpharetta and Roswell, and of the web site for Milton, at how much more extensive Roswell's offerings are. Just taking a very crude measure: the Roswell program brochure covers 1/4 of the year (separate brochures for spring, summer, fall, and winter) and is 72 pages, versus Alpharetta's 40-page brochure that covers 1/2 the year (spring/summer, fall/winter). Alpharetta's brochure lists 13 facilities (counting multiple facilities at the same park/complex as separate items); using the same counting basis, Roswell conservatively has 24.

Milton has two functioning park/recreation facilities with several others currently closed and in various stages of renovation/planning/development. There are 7 recreation programs listed on its web site.

Johns Creek lists six park/rec facilities. The Johns Creek and Newtown program brochures total 18 pages; Ocee Park has baseball and softball programs not included in those.

The other North Fulton towns all have good things going on (for instance, our kids have generally participated in athletic programs at Newtown instead of Roswell, because the Roswell programs for younger kids other than soccer tend to be concentrated west of 400), but all the other municipalities combined don't approach the depth and breadth of Roswell's facilities and programs.

Again, I'm aware of the historical and demographic reasons why that's the case, and I don't know that there's really any point to the comparison. But if we're are comparing on the basis of what each town actually offers, it's not even close.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:48 PM

Did you count Verizon Ampitheater?

Old 03-13-2011, 07:32 PM

697 posts, read 3,021,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban5 View Post
Did you count Verizon Ampitheater?
No, I forgot about it (actually, I didn't include it since I was using specifically municipal park/cultural facilities in the comparison, but even though it is private it obviously should be included in any census of such venues in the area). Chalk up one for Alpharetta, albeit one that is less than 1000 feet from the Roswell/Alpharetta line in two directions (north and west) and only about 1.3 mi away in another (south).

Old 03-13-2011, 08:18 PM

188 posts, read 594,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackensack View Post
Yeah, and I realized that I neglected to make a point I meant to earlier, which is that beyond a few things like paying higher non-resident fees for certain things, it matters less what municipality you're in than it does what general area you're in. I can almost literally throw a rock into Alpharetta or John's Creek from my house, and the overall experience/quality of life of residents who're nominally in those towns but within a mile or two of me is essentially the same as mine.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I live in Johns Creek, but in the very northeast end. I'm closer to Suwanee Town Center than many Suwanee residents. I can also get to downtown Duluth pretty quickly.

The best suburb to live in is the suburb closest to where you work. You can always use the amenities of other places!

Old 03-14-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackensack View Post
No, I forgot about it (actually, I didn't include it since I was using specifically municipal park/cultural facilities in the comparison, but even though it is private it obviously should be included in any census of such venues in the area). Chalk up one for Alpharetta, albeit one that is less than 1000 feet from the Roswell/Alpharetta line in two directions (north and west) and only about 1.3 mi away in another (south).
Yes, the distinction b/w the cities is fuzzy at times. On a daily basis, I travel in Alpharetta, Roswell and JC....and that's just to the grocery store/errands and picking up the kids from day care.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:59 PM

Roswell has the Ferrari/Maserati dealership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta