Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:43 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Dude...

(Why am I even bothering?)
Do me a fave and save the theatrics. Nothing I said was drama-club worthy. An Asian growth rate of 100% should be reflected in Georgia Tech's student body. Why else would someone have a problem with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 11:47 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
If it's not Cobain (Btw, Kurt is dead...stop asking him to come back ), it's BlondeandFun! (Where is your brother btw?).

What does that have to do with what I said? What are you talking about? Something seems to be itching you....I'm all for diversity, but 100% of a small amount like 3% is still less than 5% of of 45%....Do the math...

Deal with your inadequacies.....
500,000 people isn't "small", and the percentage went from 4% to 5%. this is a big deal no matter how you cut it, and an even bigger deal for a Southern city that had an Asian population of 40,000 in 1990.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:49 AM

957 posts, read 3,355,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Do me a fave and save the theatrics. Nothing I said was drama-club worthy. An Asian growth rate of 100% should be reflected in Georgia Tech's student body. Why else would someone have a problem with that?
Cobain,

Though the Asian population growth is impressive from 2000 to 2010 at 81.6% in Georgia. They only represent about 3.2% of the State, which is still below the national average. It would be nice to see that number up to 7-8% which is where New Jersey and Washington is today.

If 7-8% of Georiga's population is Asian, you will see UGA and Georgia Tech's rankings soar.....

but we are not there yet

Old 03-21-2011, 12:09 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
500,000 people isn't "small", and the percentage went from 4% to 5%. this is a big deal no matter how you cut it, and an even bigger deal for a Southern city that had an Asian population of 40,000 in 1990.
Again, I'm all for diversity. We all benefit (Except xenophobes..ahem. ). May the best and brightest (from all over) come to Atlanta, and make it a better place to live. (When are you leaving by the way? )

It's nice to see it, but I'm trying to understand where your anger, envy, and jealousy come from.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:25 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Cobain,

Though the Asian population growth is impressive from 2000 to 2010 at 81.6% in Georgia. They only represent about 3.2% of the State, which is still below the national average. It would be nice to see that number up to 7-8% which is where New Jersey and Washington is today.

If 7-8% of Georiga's population is Asian, you will see UGA and Georgia Tech's rankings soar.....

but we are not there yet
Can we give the racial obsession a rest, please? Intellectually capable people occur in all ethnic groups.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:37 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,529,674 times
Quote:
The problem is you have absolutely no sense of tact when it comes to things like this. No one is minimizing the growth of Asians in the metro area. Why would those "Afrocentric" types you speak of have anything to fear? They don't and they aren't making any issue of it.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:01 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Can we give the racial obsession a rest, please? Intellectually capable people occur in all ethnic groups.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:27 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Cobain,

but we are not there yet
Ok, I've got it. From now on Georgia Tech only admits Jews and Asians and offers degrees in everything. Tech will then have the highest ranking in all categories and all alumni will get a $100k bonus. Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, and MIT didn't tell us of this hidden perk.

Oh yeah, and Tech football and b-ball will be #1. Well, maybe not with the demographics I gave for Tech

Old 03-21-2011, 10:52 PM

87 posts, read 106,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Yes, but the distribution of "intellectual capability" isn't equal.

When it comes to Asian Americans, they have the best K12 test scores, are on par with whites when it comes to per capita income, and have lower incarceration and delinquency rates compared to any other broad demographic category.

The University of California system's flagship is Berkeley. On par with that is UCLA. The student body at both schools are over 45% Asian despite the fact that they only make up 12% of the state population. The reason why these numbers exist in California is because they are legally unable to admit students based on ethnic categories. Each application is numbered so they can't even try and discriminate based on their name.

It's time to stop hiding behind political correctness. Until we openly acknowledge that certain minorities are in much better socioeconomic positions than others, it'll be hard to develop good policy that addresses these disparities.

So let me be as blunt as I can. Black students are, on average, are much worse than the average white and Asian student. I didn't say less capable. And I certainly didn't say inferior. But the cold, hard numbers support my position. If Georgia Tech had double the Asian enrollment it has now, its average test scores would be much higher and that would be positively reflected in the national rankings.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:29 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,348,885 times
^The socioeconomic position of certain Asian races in the US is skewed at best. Sure a lot more of us go to college here and do well in K-12 but run the numbers on how we immigrated in the first place. A much larger percentage of Asians in the last few generations have come as a result of education opportunities and more recently due to immigration policies for professional workers. If we started allowing mass immigration for anyone that could break 1400 on the SAT(old scale...who cares about writing), you'd have all US citizens crowded out of all colleges within a few years. At the same time, if you started immigrating randomly from Asia, you'd have a far different/lower numbers. Despite India's fiercely competitive reputation for having very driven and intelligent students, they don't even have 70% literacy rate in India and the % there w/ college degrees(not necessarily good college degrees of course) is less than half that of the US. By gross numbers, they have more people that can't read than the US has people. Of course our immigration policy distills all of that down to their very best and brightest and their progeny is what you find in our colleges.

If you're going into the stats of overrepresented minorities in certain schools you really need to look at the average income of the families sending these kids into school and income per education years. Asians in the US have a far higher % graduate degrees than the population but their median income is slightly higher (suggesting some remaining language barrier/racism issues).

Many studies out there have closely correlated household income w/ education attainment. If you're financially stable enough to focus on your kids education, then they tend to do ok. When normalized for income, you see smaller gaps between races. The UC system gets skewed by parachute kids...kids shipped to the US to improve their chances of going to good schools and bypassing relatively strict systems in Asia. Imagine the resources necessary to pull off shipping your kid abroad to go to middle/hs so they have a shot at a good college. My alma mater didn't provide scholarships/aid to international students so those that showed up had resources for 40-50k/yr and most didn't bat an eye to that. Compare that to the kids at your local private school that's costing 10-20k/yr for HS and I'm sure you'll see similar levels of attainment.

So yeah, Asians aren't necessarily superior...they just are in the US b/c our gov't policy causes those w/ significant resources or educational capability to make it over here. The gov't just doesn't have to deal w/ the illiterate masses left behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta