Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Ellenwood : easy commute, safe neighborhood, decent schools, close to shopping, living space

Old 08-26-2006, 02:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,469 times

Advertisements

We leave in Maryland, and my company is relocating to ATL, city of Ellenwood in Dekalb. We are desperately looking for the best area to live, we have 2 small children and want to avoid a long or bad commute at any cost. My husband may have to work in downtown ATL.
Our criterias are the following:

-short, easy commute
-safe neighborhood with decent schools
-close to shopping and attraction, not too rural
-diverse if possible

We have been doing a lot of research but too much info and conflicting.
We are seriously looking into Henry county, seems it's growing fast and turning into a very desirable area for families. Is it an area that could turn bad in the next 10 years?
We are debating between Stockbridge and NcDonough, what's the difference between the 2? How are the schools there?
We are looking to build our own house sometimes next year, is it wise to start building before we move and finish up once we are there?
Our price range for a new single family house: $250-$450. We don't need a big lot, more living space.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, we need to pick at least neighborhood before looking at builders.
Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2006, 07:55 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,405,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly View Post
We leave in Maryland, and my company is relocating to ATL, city of Ellenwood in Dekalb. We are desperately looking for the best area to live, we have 2 small children and want to avoid a long or bad commute at any cost. My husband may have to work in downtown ATL.
Our criterias are the following:

-short, easy commute
-safe neighborhood with decent schools
-close to shopping and attraction, not too rural
-diverse if possible

We have been doing a lot of research but too much info and conflicting.
We are seriously looking into Henry county, seems it's growing fast and turning into a very desirable area for families. Is it an area that could turn bad in the next 10 years?
We are debating between Stockbridge and NcDonough, what's the difference between the 2? How are the schools there?
We are looking to build our own house sometimes next year, is it wise to start building before we move and finish up once we are there?
Our price range for a new single family house: $250-$450. We don't need a big lot, more living space.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, we need to pick at least neighborhood before looking at builders.
First,
Elllenwood is located in Clayton County not DeKalb right off Exit 5 on the 675 spur. I would not recommend Clayton unless you like higher taxes and crime.
You can compare Clayton to Prince George Md for a comparable. One good thing if you are working in Ellenwood you do have 675 to travel and not 75 which can be a parking lot in the am.

As far as schools down in the area, I am not familiar.
Henry County is not to bad, but I would go to Rockdale or Newton,however I noticed you said possible downtown Atlanta which will hinder your commute

Good Luck
Thanks,

Last edited by Yac; 08-27-2006 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: quote fixed

Old 08-28-2006, 03:38 PM

45 posts, read 61,386 times
wow that is a loaded question. I would personally reccomend McDonough over Stockbridge for the reason that I fel the Commission and council working on the development there are working to making it into a progressive area that will ultimately handle the growth. With respect to the commute, that would all depend on when you are traveling. 8am and 4pm on 85 S in the morning and 85 N in the evening is horid, but ironically enough if there aren't any car crashes it runs quite smoothly after 9 am and after 6 pm.
Building your own home is a wise decision. This would also be contingent on if you where buying a lot in a subdivision. If not are there adjacent acres that have access to sewage and electric. Are there appurtanances or easements such as power lines or anything to that degree. If you haven't purchased the land yet, just be sure to buy in a location that is seeing growth. The question you ask here requires a very entailed answer and also requires questions to be asked to get to the most educated answer. I would ALWAYS reccomend my clients to either see through the construction, have someone see throught the construction for you or buy a spec home from a builder who has already had your design built in the subdivision.

I hope this answers some of your questions. I think you have lots of options. Smyrna, Chamblee, and Roswell are all very good locations with a strong equitable positions. I think it would be wise for you to also look into the Vinings, Mableton, and the Highlands. Your price range that you have listed will obviously yield different results in different areas. I would say that you would probably get more square footage for the dollar in Mableton and Smyrna. That's Cobb county so your taxes are decent. I believe your criteria of lifestyle, school district, way of life, and other mitigating circumstances will be the determing factor along side the commute. You see living in Atlanta, with respect to traffic, can be very tricky. You can live literally 9 miles from your destination and have it take you the same amount of time have you lived 15 miles away. All depending on the route and times you travel. The great aspect is that there are many ways to get around traffic in this town. I recall living in Miami and, if you have ever been, you would know that sometimes being stuck on the turnpike or I95 means your stuck. Nowhere to go no backroads without fearing for your life or no alternate routes.
Not only has Atlanta grown, but like tentacles this growth has spread into counties and cities in over a 100 mile radius of the heart. Gwinnett county in itself has seen monumental growth and has now established its own university. The first of its kind in over 100 years. The mass transit planned for Atlanta is also a direct reflexion of the City, its commissioners and its patrons.

I wish you the best and feel free to contact me to chat. I love to share my education and knowledge. It is a great pleasure for me to release the burden of holding this information in Good Luck!

Sincerely,

David M. Figueroa
[cut]

Last edited by Marka; 08-29-2006 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 08-28-2006, 03:40 PM

985 posts, read 5,759,483 times
Please no advertisement on the site.

Old 09-03-2006, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,466 times
Default Moving to Moringside or Cendler Park

I have a 9 year old and need to consider the schools in that area. Is there anyone that has some information on that school system. Also, being that we are Jewish I want to know that there will be a contingent in the are.
Any feedback?

Thanks!

NY Mom

Old 09-04-2006, 07:13 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,405,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Mom View Post
I have a 9 year old and need to consider the schools in that area. Is there anyone that has some information on that school system. Also, being that we are Jewish I want to know that there will be a contingent in the are.
Any feedback?

Thanks!

NY Mom
Jewish? Sandy Spring/Buckhead.

Jew's in Georgia is like finding a needle in a haystack.
I'm Lutheran and so far I have found 4 Lutheran churches in a 40 miles radius.
Now as for Baptist, I think there are 500 churches within 5 miles from my home.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:56 AM

16 posts, read 63,780 times
I agree with the poster above - man do I miss the super motivated and educated jewish neighbors I had in South Florida. They made the school cluster we were in one of the best. Not to mention they had some of the best food establishments and clothing boutique shops. No wonder they looked at me in horror when I said we were moving to the ATL burbs. I should have listened.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,468 times
Default Small Advice

I know where you coming from. I'm an Officer (CPT) in the united states Army. I had the sames concerns that you have. My Top prioryties for me and my family to find a suitible place to live were:

1)Schools
2) Crime Rate
3) Security for Family Members
4) Access to shopping malls (but not 2 close)

I drove around every place imaginable in Atlanta, including Peach tree City and ended up buying a property in Henry County at Heron Bay. And I'm not selling anything, but Henry County has one of the best school systems in Atlanta (Should I said one of the Few) low crime rate and the community that i live is secure and there is everything imaginable for the family to have fun. www.heronbayinfo.com. Every Officer that gets station here in Atlanta select this area because:

1) Security
2) Schools Systems
3) Close to highway 75 (Links to Florida)
4) Heron Bay was Named Comunity of the Year.

A lot of Communities are beeing build the subdivisions amazing. One of the subdivisions that was build 3 years ago close to heron bay, you need to own a small aircraft to live there. It's a subdivision for Pilots only and they keep their planes in their backyard and the subdivision has their own runaway. Heron Bay is becoming more like Peach Tree City, safe Comunnity with a lot of Golf Courses. Belive me you won't regret it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta