Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 03:40 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times

Advertisements

After many failed starts, and issues related to the crappy user interface of the Census Bureau's FactFinder2 website, I have compiled all of the "official" demographic data from the 2010 Census Redistricting file.

While I am posting this for the sole purpose of providing the data in an easy to digest form for those interested in "what" makes up Metro Atlanta's population, feel free to comment on any of the specifics but please leave any boneheaded political/racial/xenophobic/childish comments out of this thread. If you feel the undeniable desire to do so, either keep it to your self or create your own thread. Let's keep this one civil.

With that said, here we go!

Total Metropolitan Atlanta Population as April 1st, 2010

Numerical change since April 1st, 2000: +1,070,087
Percentage change since April 1st, 2000: +23.527%

Population By Race/Ethnicity numerically and by percentage

White - 2,895,372 - 51.53%
Black - 1,740,955 - 30.98%
Latino - 602,485 - 10.72%
Asian - 257,305 - 4.57%
Multi-racial (aka Two or more races) - 94,543 - 1.68%
"Other" - 14,161 -0.25%
Native American - 11,431 - 0.20%
Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander - 2179 - 0.03%

Note: Barring some sort of unforseen reversal of overall demographic trends in the United States, this will be last Census in which Metro Atlanta will have a single majority (more than 49.99% of the population) "race" or ethnicity.

Maps of Metropolitan Atlanta Racial/Ethnic Groups by Location and Concentration

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 03:59 PM

99 posts, read 327,387 times
Interesting maps. How did you create them? I would love to create maps for various metropolitan areas, but I sincerely doubt that a novice such as myself would be able to pull it off.

I didn't know that South Forsyth had areas that were majority Asian, and I had assumed that many Asians still resided in the NE portion of DeKalb County. I'm not from the area, but I check in on the Atlanta board quite often, as I am trying to determine whether or not I'll be making your area home in the near future.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ1977 View Post
Interesting maps. How did you create them? I would love to create maps for various metropolitan areas, but I sincerely doubt that a novice such as myself would be able to pull it off.
I got mine from here: Welcome to the Atlanta Regional Commission

But the New York Times has a neat interactive map here. Just add the city you want to view: Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ1977 View Post
I didn't know that South Forsyth had areas that were majority Asian, and I had assumed that many Asians still resided in the NE portion of DeKalb County. I'm not from the area, but I check in on the Atlanta board quite often, as I am trying to determine whether or not I'll be making your area home in the near future.
Oh, there still is a large Asian population in North Dekalb, but since 2000 the Latino population has exploded in the same area as well as more recent influx of African immigrants. Essentially, their overall percentages were diluted by new groups moving in.

Since then though, the area that corresponds to what North Dekalb used to be for Asians is now centered on Duluth or as I call it "New Seoul".

Old 03-30-2011, 04:23 PM

957 posts, read 3,355,694 times
is the 4.57% Asian population correct for Georgia? I thought Census 2005-2009 published 2.8% and number was around 256,000 Asians in Georgia.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:24 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
While I am posting this for the sole purpose of providing the data in an easy to digest form for those interested in "what" makes up Metro Atlanta's population, feel free to comment on any of the specifics but please leave any boneheaded political/racial/xenophobic/childish comments out of this thread. If you feel the undeniable desire to do so, either keep it to your self or create your own thread. Let's keep this one civil.
Quote:
Note: Barring some sort of unforseen reversal of overall demographic trends in the United States, this will be last Census in which Metro Atlanta will have a single majority (more than 49.99% of the population) "race" or ethnicity.

So you say your just "posting data" (so innocent!), and then you add this little note. The last time I checked around 50% of Hispanics in Metro Atlanta are white. Why aren't they included in the white percentage? They're admission of their own race doesn't count?

Your constant celebration and anticipation of the mythical day when whites are a minority, both in metro Atlanta and in the U.S. itself, is quite annoying. You seem to forget that the term "white" has expanded many times throughout the history of this country to include the Irish, Italians, Greeks, and most recently, Jews. Based on this historical fact, there is no reason why it won't expand again to include white Hispanics. So go ahead and throw away the fireworks that you're storing in your closet until 2042, or 2050, or whenever it's supposed to happen.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:24 PM

99 posts, read 327,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I got mine from here: Welcome to the Atlanta Regional Commission

But the New York Times has a neat interactive map here. Just add the city you want to view: Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Oh, there still is a large Asian population in North Dekalb, but since 2000 the Latino population has exploded in the same area as well as more recently African immigrants. Essentially, their overall percentages were diluted by new groups moving in.

Since then though, the area that corresponds to what North Dekalb used to be for Asians is now centered on Duluth or as I call it "New Seoul".
Thanks for the link. Actually, I had obtained it for free a few months ago from the New Orleans board and was thinking about looking at it once more just a couple of days ago.

Looking at Detroit and Chicago's racially segregated neighborhoods is quite stunning. It seems to me like 8 Mile Road is literally the Maginot Line between White Detroit (north of 8 Mile) and nonwhite Detroit (South of 8 Mile). But I also noticed that many areas that people assume to be universally black, or Latino, etc. are actually quite integrated, and, in many cases, are neighborhoods where minorities are far from the majority. Just look at maps for the Central District of Seattle, or the North neighborhood of Minneapolis.

Now, granted, there has been a lot of gentrification by whites in many communities across America, such as the aforementioned CD (Seattle) for the past two decades. And it's beginning to occur in earnest in areas of the South Side of Chicago that were literally 95%-100% black, and teeming with housing projects--namely Cabrini Green, Stateway Gardens, and Robert Taylor Homes. Meanwhile, Portland's African American base (NE) is now a bastion for white, progressive college-educated citizens. Also, I noticed that many areas historically associated with the black community of Los Angeles (Central District/Watts/Compton/Inglewood) are now either a plurality or a majority Hispanic. To further drive the point home, you can go to the University of Southern California's Department of History page (or it may be American Studies) and download a thematic map of greater Los Angeles' racial makeup from the 1940 Census to the 2000 Census.

What I love most about the various maps is the ability to gain clarity about demographic changes, and to either affirm, reaffirm, or dispel myths about race, class, and place in American society in 2011.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:33 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Your constant celebration and anticipation of the mythical day when whites are a minority, both in metro Atlanta and in the U.S. itself, is quite annoying.
I wouldn't worry about it. One white person is worth his weight in gold, so if our numbers go down we'll still be in good shape.

waronxmas, cool beans! Nice job on the maps!

Old 03-30-2011, 05:22 PM

657 posts, read 1,504,269 times
Excuse me I have a question. Where is the 5.6 million coming from. I thought these were the official Census numbers:

28-county MSA defined by OMB: 5,268,860
10-county ARC area: 4,107,750
5 core counties: 3,365,297

Old 03-30-2011, 06:02 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Excuse me I have a question. Where is the 5.6 million coming from. I thought these were the official Census numbers:

28-county MSA defined by OMB: 5,268,860
10-county ARC area: 4,107,750
5 core counties: 3,365,297
As others tried to explain to you on other threads before you went off on a tirade by some people being off by a million people... that is the aggregate county estimates for the existing CSA boundaries defined in 2000. (Keeping in mind they haven't officially created MSA and CSA boundaries for the 2010 census yet....people are only matching county populations to the 2000 msa/csa defined areas). That is down from the 2009 census estimate of 5.83 million in the CSA.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
is the 4.57% Asian population correct for Georgia? I thought Census 2005-2009 published 2.8% and number was around 256,000 Asians in Georgia.
Oh, that's not for Georgia. It's just for Metro Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta