Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 09:47 PM

11 posts, read 35,579 times

Advertisements

My family is considering relocating to the ATL area. We are moving from a fairly small town in the north of about 60,000 people. We have never lived in/near a large city before and are not at all familiar with Atlanta/surrounding areas. If we worked near Windy Hill Rd SE and Powers Ferry Rd SE, where would be a good area to live? We have children so schools are very important to us. We are also very interested in a safe neighborhood. Commute times are not an issue as long as they can be an hour or less. The school system and safety of the neighborhood is MUCH more important to us. It would be nice, however to have all 3. Would appreciate any information that could be provided. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 09:57 PM

642 posts, read 2,211,588 times
I know that Marietta is convenient to that area.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:41 PM

138 posts, read 620,504 times
I spent most of my young life in Marietta/Cobb County, very close to Windy Hill, Powers Ferry, Lower Roswell, Delk, etc. etc. etc.

I agree Marietta would be perfect for a commute to your office.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:50 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,225,281 times
Vinings would be terrific. There are great townhomes and single family homes in that area, but I don't know your price range. The downside are the public schools, which are mediocre. But there are plenty of private schools you could consider.

Otherwise, sections of East Cobb are perfect for you too.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:53 PM

138 posts, read 620,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Vinings would be terrific. There are great townhomes and single family homes in that area, but I don't know your price range. The downside are the public schools, which are mediocre. But there are plenty of private schools you could consider.

Otherwise, sections of East Cobb are perfect for you too.
As I said in another thread I just got a townhome under contract for a client in Smyrna/Vinings. They do have a TON of nice townhomes in that area. Totally agree.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:39 PM

11 posts, read 35,579 times
Default More info....

We currently live in Michigan and paid about $100,000 for a 1200 sq ft house with a full finished basement. We are afraid of the cost of housing there seeing as it appears to be much higher than what we are used to here. However, taxes there don't seem to be near what they are here. We pay about $2200 a year in property taxes. So, I guess based on our current salary, we would need to stick around $700-$850 per month on our house payment. Not sure what we will get out of our house here as the market is horrible right now for selling. I am thinking at most we will have $15,000 for a down payment. The salary that we would be getting would be at least $10000 more than what we make here, but I would rather play it on the safe side.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:44 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,716,166 times
The city of Smyrna is an excellent choice. Our neighborhood is teeming with young families; most go to Teasley elementary and the parents seem to be very happy with it.
Commute to Windy Hill would be about 15 minutes and back roads are always an option as well. I think Smyrna is much more family friendly and affordable for young families than Vinings proper. I can be in Vinings in less than 5 minutes and I get the benefit of Cobb Taxes as well.

East Cobb is another choice.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:50 PM

642 posts, read 2,211,588 times
Don't know your price range but pretty much forget about East Cobb if you're looking to spend like less than 300,000. Unless you're thinking of going condo or townhouse instead of single-family home.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:33 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,503,953 times
We moved from the Northeast to East Cobb in February. My spouse works in the Windy Hill area as well. The schools are excellent and the commute is very easy. The area is very safe and everything you need is five minutes away. There is a fair amount of greenspace and rolling hills as well (and yes strip malls). Roswell would be a good option as well but the commute would be longer. New homes are outrageously expensive but you can find an older more affordable home (10 years plus) that may need some updating. Feel free to private message me with any questions.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:26 AM

75 posts, read 233,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post
Don't know your price range but pretty much forget about East Cobb if you're looking to spend like less than 300,000. Unless you're thinking of going condo or townhouse instead of single-family home.
I agree, pretty tough to find single family home in that price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta