Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 10:13 AM

5 posts, read 11,937 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Dayton, OH to Atlanta at the end of may. I took a job at removed - see note below (their offices are located in midtown I believe) and may be working some pretty crazy hours. So far my search has been limited to the internet, but will be heading down to look for places in person later this month. My fiance and I are checking out places in Midtown, Little 5 Points, Inman Park, Virginia Highlands, Druid Hills and Piedmont Park. We are pretty sure we want to live in the city given everything we've heard about the traffic situation...but we may have to move our search to the suburbs if we can't find anything in our budget. We want to rent an apartment/condo/ or townhome around $1,000/month. We have no kids and access to public transportation is not that important.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 04-06-2011 at 11:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 10:29 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriannew83 View Post
I am moving from Dayton, OH to Atlanta at the end of may. I took a job at removed - see note below (their offices are located in midtown I believe) and may be working some pretty crazy hours. So far my search has been limited to the internet, but will be heading down to look for places in person later this month. My fiance and I are checking out places in Midtown, Little 5 Points, Inman Park, Virginia Highlands, Druid Hills and Piedmont Park. We are pretty sure we want to live in the city given everything we've heard about the traffic situation...but we may have to move our search to the suburbs if we can't find anything in our budget. We want to rent an apartment/condo/ or townhome around $1,000/month. We have no kids and access to public transportation is not that important.
removed - see note below-midtown, correct--either in the big bldg on Peachtree St or a smaller bldg near Lindbergh/Monroe--IIRC. 'Midtown'---
removed - see note below

Apt--condo--townhouse---infinite possibilities---

Little 5 Pts, Inman Park--further from work location--by 'minutes' 5-10
Druid Hills--mostly historic homes--plenty of apt/condo/townhouses sprinkled in
VA Highland/Piedmont Park--similar

Do you prefer:
--1bdr, 2bdr or more?

--Gated community?

--Newer--older/renovated?

--Hardwood floors, granite counter tops--Wifi--?

--Some sort of yard---garden apt or other?

-- Dog/pet friendly?

ProMove apt locator service is a good resource--other posters know the area and will have more specific advice.

Craig's List>>>
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/search...=max&bedrooms=

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 04-06-2011 at 12:00 PM..

Old 04-06-2011, 10:44 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
check out druid hills area

plenty of places in your price range

Old 04-06-2011, 11:20 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Check out the Post Biltmore in Midtown.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:58 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
NOTICE

A "security note", folks. All reference to the place of employment has been removed from the thread. It's always best to simply give people the general location of where you'll be working as opposed to specifically naming the actual place where you'll be working, for your security.

Thank you

Old 04-06-2011, 12:27 PM

Looking for 2 bedrooms. My preference would be to rent out someone's condo or townhouse...and my fiance would love if we weren't "cooped up" in a high rise. He would certainly appreciate a little bit of yard...but I wouldn't call it a deal breaker. We both own condos here in Dayton...and realize this would be our shot at "big city living" before we have kids and set up shop in the 'burbs. We don't have animals...hardwood floors and all the nice trimmings would be nice, but not worth blowing the budget on. I haven't really thought about having a gated community...is that a must for intown living?

Thanks for all of the suggesstions....keep them coming!

Old 04-06-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Looking for 2 bedrooms. My preference would be to rent out someone's condo or townhouse...and my fiance would love if we weren't "cooped up" in a high rise. He would certainly appreciate a little bit of yard...but I wouldn't call it a deal breaker. We both own condos here in Dayton...and realize this would be our shot at "big city living" before we have kids and set up shop in the 'burbs. We don't have animals...hardwood floors and all the nice trimmings would be nice, but not worth blowing the budget on. I haven't really thought about having a gated community...is that a must for intown living?

Thanks for all of the suggesstions....keep them coming!
Not certain this group would be 'The One'--never hurts to ask--they might direct you, etc>>
Braden Fellman

Gated community--some prefer it--not necessary, imo.

Virginia Highland experienced a bout of crime in the late winter---steps were taken to restore law and order--no recent updates on 'high crimes'--assume the misdemeanors continue from time to time.

Parking on the street--is said to be an issue there-anything of interest must be removed from the vehicle to discourage theft---best to walk about w/o headphones--in order to be alert to all potential danger---very nice, affluent neighborhood. High marks for walkability--shops, restaurants--all the Intown neighborhoods have some form of this.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:18 PM

@takeahike....any suggestions on what a better group/forum would be to join in on?

Old 04-06-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
@takeahike....any suggestions on what a better group/forum would be to join in on?
CD is really 'The Best'. We just experienced a major storm--tornado/lightning--many may be off-line--cleaning up the yards or working. They might see this thread later in the day.

There are posters that could be DM'd and would respond offline.

George Chong
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ng-143724.html

Intownhomes
//www.city-data.com/forum/priva...newpm&u=178817

Click on the username and a menu pops up--'Send username a DM'--

Old 04-06-2011, 02:03 PM

562 posts, read 1,790,754 times
I live in midtown about 2 blocks form the Fox theather. At your budget you would have quite a few options. My apartment building is not a highrise- 4 floors, and I have a 1 bedroom (1200 sq feet loft), with a small gated area that opens into the pools for $1200 including cable, I know the same loft I have is $990 for the 1000 sq foot one that doesnt open to the pool. There are also quite a few apartments, townhomes down the side streets of Ponce where I live. They are slightly older homes that are turned into apartments, but there are a lot for rent and would get you a small yard (although it might be shared with the 3-4 other apartments). My wife used to live on North Druid hills and loved it there. Just keep in mind when looking that the closer you get to 10th/Cresent St, or piedmont park the more rents rise. I looked at the Post Biltmore and I just got such a better deal at Camden Midtown. I know you can get a really good deal at Post Renaissance though if you dont mind a slightly older apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta