Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 10:30 AM

38 posts, read 140,067 times

Advertisements

what about sandy springs or dunwoody or alphetta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 01:21 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
Where is the employment located and what grades will your children be in?

For competitive swimming, I suggest you figure out which league your child will swim with outside of school swim season. The two big ones are dynamo and swim atlanta. Both have multiple locations. Most serious high school swimmers swim year round here. Many don't even practice with their high schools, rather simply swim at the meets.

Dynamo Swim Club :
SwimAtlanta ~ Swim Lessons & Swim Team in Cobb, Cumming, Georgia Tech, Hamilton Mill, John's Creek, Roswell & Sugarloaf

DeKalb County Schools are among the most difficult when it comes to transferring gifted status from another state. I would avoid Dunwoody for this reason alone.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:24 PM

697 posts, read 3,021,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklegirl_19 View Post
What do people think of John's Creek/Roswell/Vinning areas?
Only Roswell has the sort of quaint downtown you mentioned. John's Creek is a newly created municipality that tied together a lot of random subdivisions, shopping centers, and office parks that were formerly all just part of unincorporated Fulton County. There's no central area, no historical downtown, etc. In practical terms, there's not much to distinguish between John's Creek and Alpharetta and the eastern side of Roswell, except for whether you get to pay resident fees instead of non-resident for athletic and rec programs at the local parks.

Vinings is a nice area, but has only a postage-stamp-sized area of "quaint" in it. I have no idea what the public school situation is, but my perception is that most people in Vinings either don't have kids or send them to private schools.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:24 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,359 times
If you have to commute to the airport, I would lean towards East Cobb or Roswell/Sandy Springs. Johns Creek and Gwinnett are just too far away to commute to the airport unless you know you can commute outside of rush hour.

In terms of public school reputation, East Cobb, most of North Fulton and some Gwinnett districts have very good reputations. You could try using greatschools.org to research. I would select from some of the strongest high school districts and narrow my search from there. There are threads here you can find to for reference like this one.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:47 PM

161 posts, read 405,457 times
My family has been house hunting & our criteria is very similar to yours. We just put an offer on a house in the Hillbrooke subdivision of Alpharetta/ Johns Creek. Seems as if they have a very good swimteam. Hillbrooke's Community Website

Old 04-11-2011, 01:48 PM

38 posts, read 140,067 times
Please also let me know about the in north fulton redistricting that some have been talking about

We've heard Walton, Milton, Northview, Alpharetta??? are good high schools, are there others? I don't know where anything is with regards to high schools in what counties so forgive me.

Can anyone please recommend other Specific SUBDIVISION Community Housing Development in the schools above?

Heard also that Windward Lake has a good swim club. Is this true? Does anyone know how much and whether there are residency requirements?

Old 04-11-2011, 01:55 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
Fulton County Schools - Operational Planning - Bethany Bend HS Redistricting (http://www.fultonschools.org/redistricting/bethany.htm - broken link)

Old 04-11-2011, 02:16 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
Sparklegirl

Will your child be swimming year round -- or just for the high school and perhaps in the summer for a neighborhood team?
If swimming year round, most likely he/she can swim for the league team in the summer.

Most summer teams have just a few high school age kids on them.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:18 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,722 times
You will not know which subdivision in the Alpharetta, Milton or Roswell will be attending (for certain) which high school until redistricting is complete.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:15 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,462 times
Year round swim teams in East Cobb
Marietta Marlins-great coaches, small focused group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta