Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 09:58 AM

75 posts, read 118,806 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much that I have found this sight.

I am in desparate need of advice.I would like to move with my two boys to Atlanta. I live in Maryland but things are very expensive here and keep getting more expensive. I feel that the diverse culture is becoming too hispanic even in Prince George's county which for years has been the richest diverse county in America.

I heard that Atlanta is the place where I can find a good paying job with low rent. I have one year of community college finished. I can type fast, greet visitors, be a receptionist and have a friendly demeaner. My dream job would be a back up singer, as I've been told to be blessed with an amazing voice. I'm also a good stylist so I figure I could help style some stars in Atlanta and then get a shot at singing when they needed someone. So first things first. I need to get a 2 bed apartment for about $800. I prefer it to have internet access so I can do fashion and designer research. My sons are young so a large apartment complex would be more likely to have safe daycare inside for a reasonable price. Need to be near a bus or a metro stop and near to a church is good too so that I can walk there if necessary to give thanks on a daily basis if I make it in Atlanta.

My friend moved to the Castleberry area not too long ago, but I don't see any large apartments near there after I did a google. Can anyone recommend another neighborhood near the Castleberry that has large apartments. I just someone to point me to a safe diverse neighborhood and can do the rest of the search on my own.

~Bless You, Markesha Harcourt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 10:42 AM

Why won't anyone help me on this question. I guess it's true what they say about all you on the downlow in Atlanta. Nobody wants to help a female anymore????

~Markesha

Old 04-10-2011, 10:58 AM

339 posts, read 696,033 times
One thing that always helps when we give advice to people looking to relocate here to Atlanta is ...where will you be working? We DO NOT need the name of the employer, but the general area of your employment eg-the airport, downtown, etc. That information will help when trying to give advice on possible areas to direct you to look for a place to live.

One thing you mentioned in your post was you heard Atlanta is a place you can find a good paying job... I am taking a guess that means you are not relocating with a job. If that is the case I would advise you not to move to Atlanta (or anywhere) for that matter without a job..unemployment here is still pretty high. and in terms of "high" salary it is very likely if you are not transferring with a job and salary, you will take a pay cut from what you are used to in MD...the idea of a good salary may not be what you are used to.

Good luck with your singing career, needless to say you will have stiff competition down here with that endeavor there are many amazing singers and hairstylist here who have impressive resumes and experience...Atlanta is like Hollywood or NY in the sense of talent and competition...

I wish you well, but please come here employed first and with the idea of implementing your back up plan or two. Atlanta may be less expensive than MD but it is not paved in gold or a mecca and you will probably notice the pay difference.... So to assist you (or anyone) in locating a place to live it would help to put that in perspective of your place of employment especially if you will be using public transportation to get around. All the best to you and your family in your endeavors.

Last edited by NYPeach; 04-10-2011 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-10-2011, 12:18 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkeshaThnx4Lyfe View Post
Why won't anyone help me on this question. I guess it's true what they say about all you on the downlow in Atlanta. Nobody wants to help a female anymore????

~Markesha
I don't think it's that---we are having a nice weekend--lots of yardwork to do and who knows what else?

I am not that familiar with the part of the metro area you mentioned.

If you want fyi on NE ATL --I know something about that.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPeach View Post
One thing that always helps when we give advice to people looking to relocate here to Atlanta is ...where will you be working? We DO NOT need the name of the employer, but the general area of your employment eg-the airport, downtown, etc. That information will help when trying to give advice on possible areas to direct you to look for a place to live.

One thing you mentioned in your post was you heard Atlanta is a place you can find a good paying job... I am taking a guess that means you are not relocating with a job. If that is the case I would advise you not to move to Atlanta (or anywhere) for that matter without a job..unemployment here is still pretty high. and in terms of "high" salary it is very likely if you are not transferring with a job and salary, you will take a pay cut from what you are used to in MD...the idea of a good salary may not be what you are used to.

Good luck with your singing career, needless to say you will have stiff competition down here with that endeavor there are many amazing singers and hairstylist here who have impressive resumes and experience...Atlanta is like Hollywood or NY in the sense of talent and competition...

I wish you well, but please come here employed first and with the idea of implementing your back up plan or two. Atlanta may be less expensive than MD but it is not paved in gold or a mecca and you will probably notice the pay difference.... So to assist you (or anyone) in locating a place to live it would help to put that in perspective of your place of employment especially if you will be using public transportation to get around. All the best to you and your family in your endeavors.
Thank you NYPeach. It seems like nobody really wants to help me but you did. Bless you for doing so. From your name are you from up North like I am. I appreciate the response but I have a faith in a Higher Power that I will find a job once I arrive. I just need a job near the transportation areas in a safe neighborhood in a large style apartment complex so I can have daycare for my boys. If you hear of any openings let me know and I can take the next bus down.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:23 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:

~Markesha
You can't be serious. You probably don't know this, but weekends is when this board sees the least traffic, especially during a nice weekend like this. Plus it helps not to insult people that you're trying to get help from. I don't know the Castleberry area well so I can't offer you any advice as far as that goes, but your attitude definitely needs an adjustment.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
You can't be serious. You probably don't know this, but weekends is when this board sees the least traffic, especially during a nice weekend like this. Plus it helps not to insult people that you're trying to get help from. I don't know the Castleberry area well so I can't offer you any advice as far as that goes, but your attitude definitely needs an adjustment.
Well I was just making a joke. I hear about how big the downlow is in Atlanta and thought maybe that's why nobody was paying attnetion. I didnt mean to offend. Please forgive me.

I need to find a job fast and get down to Atlanta. DC is just not as diverse as it was and I have trouble getting interviews. plus the rent keeps going up and I dont want to have to live with my sister and her two kids anymore. Do you know anybody that needs a receptionist or greeter type person? Better yet any stylist or singers that you can mention me to them? I have demo cds that I can bring with me or mail them.

~Markesha

Old 04-10-2011, 12:56 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,924 times
Quote:
Well I was just making a joke. I hear about how big the downlow is in Atlanta and thought maybe that's why nobody was paying attnetion. I didnt mean to offend. Please forgive me.

I need to find a job fast and get down to Atlanta. DC is just not as diverse as it was and I have trouble getting interviews. plus the rent keeps going up and I dont want to have to live with my sister and her two kids anymore. Do you know anybody that needs a receptionist or greeter type person? Better yet any stylist or singers that you can mention me to them? I have demo cds that I can bring with me or mail them.

~Markesha
I know that TSA is hiring here, so you may want to check them out (TSA plans to hire in Atlanta *| ajc.com).

Also, Castleberry Hill (Castleberry Hill Neighborhood) is a nice area downtown. I would recommend the Sandy Springs (City of Sandy Springs - Home) or Dunwoody (City of Dunwoody, Georgia) areas. Sandy Springs is close to MARTA as well and north of Atlanta. Schools are great in Sandy Springs as well.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:17 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
Apartment complexes, large or small, are unlikely to have day care provided. That is almost unheard of here.

Atlanta's unemployment is high and the type of job you are speaking of does not pay as well here as it does in many places in the country.

You need to secure employment first, so you can live near your job. Public transportation is not extensive here.

Good luck!

Old 04-10-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
I know that TSA is hiring here, so you may want to check them out (TSA plans to hire in Atlanta *| ajc.com).

Also, Castleberry Hill (Castleberry Hill Neighborhood) is a nice area downtown. I would recommend the Sandy Springs (City of Sandy Springs - Home) or Dunwoody (City of Dunwoody, Georgia) areas. Sandy Springs is close to MARTA as well and north of Atlanta. Schools are great in Sandy Springs as well.
Thank you for this advice. My boys are not in school yet so I need to first focus on getting a job and a large apartment complex with daycare. Then I need to networking amang the musicians in the area to see if they need singers. I also want to porsue the stylist career. If you had to choose Sandy Springs over Castleberry what wold the reason be?

~Markesha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta