Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 06:16 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times

Advertisements

Somewhere in Hilton Head where he tried to strongarm the previous owners of the land he wanted to acquire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 08:21 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
Doesn't he also have a penthouse above the Ted's Montana Grill downtown?
He does, in the Glenn Building (which he owns). I'm under the impression that he still uses it as his Atlanta home. His primary residence is his plantation in Monticello, FL for tax reasons.
As far as Ms. Chambers goes, her residence has long been the beautiful white brick regency directly across from the main gate of the Governor's Mansion. Most of her time is spent at her farm in Provence, France.
Must be nice.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
I beleive it is right across the street from Christ the King.
Yes, down the street actually in the Park Place building.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:29 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
As far as Ms. Chambers goes, her residence has long been the beautiful white brick regency directly across from the main gate of the Governor's Mansion. Most of her time is spent at her farm in Provence, France.
Must be nice.
Indeed!

Have there been any hints as to what Ms. Chambers will do with her fortune, which is said to be around $14 billion? Even a small sliver of that could be utterly transformative for the city.

Wouldn't it be cool for Atlanta to have a few more colossal legacies? Those are the things that really lift cities above the crowd.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:23 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
Ted Turner has a lot of homes and owns tons of land out west and in South America (I believe), but this is the only residence I knew about in Atlanta. To the best of my knowledge he still owns the penthouse.

I have heard of people spotting Turner downtown over the years, but I never have. I heard years ago, a few would see Jane Fonda, but haven't heard anything recent.
Ive seen dude walking near Olympic Park. Walked right by him...I noticed the body guard first. It was Turner, the bodyguard & a lady with one of those tiny dogs. Not sure who the chick was.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:27 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Yeah, right across the street from the Tabernacle. I see him a few times a year. Last time I saw him was last fall and he was walking a yorkie at Centennial Park with one if his girlfriends. I see him at Ted's probably 3/4 of the times I go there.
Yea....thats what I saw too.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Indeed!

Have there been any hints as to what Ms. Chambers will do with her fortune, which is said to be around $14 billion? Even a small sliver of that could be utterly transformative for the city.

Wouldn't it be cool for Atlanta to have a few more colossal legacies? Those are the things that really lift cities above the crowd.

No doubt the city will benefit from her largesse. The High Museum, for one, already has.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 6,541 times
When Ted is town (which is pretty frequent given his options) he stays above the Ted's Montana Grill in downtown Atlanta -- he has the penthouse. That building is owned by Ted. It's where a lot of the restaurant management and management training takes place as well. The one thing to know about Ted is that he's got a few screws loose. Whereas most people would spend a lot of their time indulging in their wealth, he's OCD about whatever venture he has going. It's a private company to who knows if it's turning a profit (I'm sure it's break-even at best right now). But he'll continue pushing and pressing until it does turn a profit, which is why you'll oftentimes find him having lunch at his own grill in downtown Atlanta.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:48 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
I remember reading an article about him before he sold CNN and the local teams and was still married to Jane. At that time he had a penthouse at the CNN center and a very rustic cabin up in the Roswell/Alpharetta area on a large spread, mentioned that the cabin had no AC. Most of his time was on his ranch out west.

Sounds like he has traded the CNN penthouse for one at the Glenn Building. Wonder if he still has the cabin, would imagine that is the one mentioned earlier that would now be considered Milton.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:34 PM

449 posts, read 1,175,937 times
I had no idea Arthur Blank started Home Depot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta