Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 03:00 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,067,750 times

Advertisements

My fixed natural gas rate is about to expire, so it's time for me to lock in a new price.

I know I can compare all the rates by the providers, but it seems like at certain times throughout the year I get marketing materials from my former provider offering lower than published rates if I return to them. So I was wondering, is there a reliable way to find out the absolute lowest rate each provider will offer? Is it common for them to go below their published rates, and how to you get them to do this?

Also, are there other negotiation techniques that are successful? Can you get them to reduce or eliminate the published customer service fees? What about the AGL regulated fees, such as the pass-through fee? Will some companies reduce or eliminate this to get your business?

I already timed my fixed rate renewal time for July when natural gas prices historically do not spike, but I'd like to know additional techniques to secure the lowest bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 07:12 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,098,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
My fixed natural gas rate is about to expire, so it's time for me to lock in a new price.

I know I can compare all the rates by the providers, but it seems like at certain times throughout the year I get marketing materials from my former provider offering lower than published rates if I return to them. So I was wondering, is there a reliable way to find out the absolute lowest rate each provider will offer? Is it common for them to go below their published rates, and how to you get them to do this?

Also, are there other negotiation techniques that are successful? Can you get them to reduce or eliminate the published customer service fees? What about the AGL regulated fees, such as the pass-through fee? Will some companies reduce or eliminate this to get your business?

I already timed my fixed rate renewal time for July when natural gas prices historically do not spike, but I'd like to know additional techniques to secure the lowest bill.
The only resources I'm aware of, other than mailings from specific providers, are the following sites:

Georgia natural gas price and rates comparison for home or business. Compare regulated and deregulated energy rates and save money

Natural Gas Providers in Georgia | GasGeorgia

Georgia Public Service Commission

Old 07-01-2012, 07:23 PM

528 posts, read 1,284,963 times
Ugh, two days late on this for me. These are great resources! I JUST signed up for gas service on Friday for our new home. I only was aware of GNG, Gas South and Cowetta-Fayette. Cowetta-Fayette did not service our area. I was debating on Gas South vs. GNG. When Gas South pulled our credit, they waived all monthly fees and and they were going to charge me .59/therm for 12 months. They also had a $75 credit special by giving $5 credit per month on your bill for 15 months.

Then I had GNG who would give me 2500 delta sky miles to sign with them and one sky mile per dollar I pay on my gas bills. They were going to charge me $7.99 per month and only .569 per therm. I had been with them previously and had them tell me my worst gas bill the previous year and determined it was about a wash so we went with GNG for the sky miles. It did seem that if I asked, "Is there anything else you can do? and what about my excellent credit?" I was offered a better therm price. I thought locking in for 12 months which would expire again in July of next year was a good time to do it. I wouldn't think locking in for 6 months would be a wise decision either.

Definitely peruse all of the websites to look for specials before you call each company. I don't know if they would have offered up the delta sky miles if I hadn't called and mentioned the DELTA25 promo code. GNG did say that they could offer me an even better price per therm if I didn't do the delta sky miles promo but we wanted the miles. Good luck to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post

Old 07-09-2012, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,793 times
It sounds like you are shopping around and we’d love to have you as a customer. The best way to compare marketers is to visit their web-sites and view rate plans to see if there are any offers listed. (It also helps to have in hand offers you received in the mail when you contact the marketers.) You want to see if there are other services you consider important, such as on-line services with no fees for auto credit card or checking/savings account payments. The AGL Pass Through Charges on your monthly bill are non-negotiable. These charges are regulated by the Georgia PSC and are billed to the customer by their marketer with no mark-up.

Review our rate plans at www.scanaenergy.com and call us at 1-877-467-2262. A representative will be glad to review all of your options with you and switch your service to SCANA Energy. You can also follow us on Twitter, @scanaenergy, and DM a phone number so someone can contact you direct or join us on Facebook at facebook.com/scanaenergy to see a special offer and sign-up for service.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:41 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,421,906 times
^ lol

Old 07-09-2012, 03:00 PM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,729,637 times
I cant wait to follow SCANA on twitter!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta