Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 05:46 PM

91 posts, read 163,415 times

Advertisements

Me and my fiance are moving to Atlanta from London, we run a internet based business from home so the commuting to and from work is not an issue. We just want a place with good shopping, food and looks pleasing to the eye. I am a big fan of lakeside homes. Our budget is 300k walk-ability is important too but not a must.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 06:03 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
You won't find much in lakeside living. Give us an idea of what you enjoy doing when not working. You mentioned walkability. Are you taking about to shops and restaurants or more for fitness. There are lots of beautiful areas of Atlanta. Do you like intown or the suburbs? What type of restaurants or shopping?

Old 04-13-2011, 07:57 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Peachtree Heights East might work for you. You'd have access to the Duck Pond, which is one of my favorite intown ponds. Some of the houses get pretty pricey but there are deals to be had.

272 Lindbergh Drive Northeast, Atlanta GA - Trulia

I'd also take a look at Peachtree Park, Lake Claire and Buckhead Forest. No water features but nifty, affordable intown neighborhoods with great access to everything.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:08 PM

in terms of walkability I mean ging to restaurants, gym and a few bars to hang out. I have been to Fayetteville before and tha was pretty however it seemed it seemed a bit from all the fun spots. We are only in our late 20's. I am a fan of the camp creek area but i'm not sure if there is much to do there

Old 04-14-2011, 06:50 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
Walking to restaurants and bars for a 20 something, I would choose from Decatur, Virginia Highlands, Midtown

What type of music or bars do you like?

Old 04-14-2011, 07:06 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,041 times
I would choose Decatur, Candler Park, or Inman Park.

http://www.decaturga.com/
http://candlerpark.org/
http://www.inmanpark.org/

FYI, Atlanta is a decidedly NON-pedestrian friendly town for the most part. There are really only pedestrian-friendly enclaves and those tend to be much more expensive than the more suburban areas. So to find a place with easy access to shops, restaurants/bars, gym, etc. your biggest trade-off will be size. Your $300k budget will go much, much, much farther in Fayetteville than it will in Decatur, for example.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:32 AM

[SIZE=2]I like all sorts of music particularly Rnb/hip hop and a bit of old Skool but the clubs/ bars that I liked were Velvet Rooms, Uptown lounge, Cosmolava and Dreamz. I remember going to Club 112 in '06 and that was brilliant. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]London is a vibrant city with lots of activities for young proffessionals but is very expensive, overcrowded and the weather is terrible. Atlanta has a lot of young black entrepreneurs who are doing well - something which is rare down here. We liked Atlanta because of it's lush landscape, good weather and friendly people, I always feel at home when I am there which is why I would like to make it my permanent residence. Ponce de leon was quite impressive at the time of visiting but I can image it may be slightly out of our budget. I wasnt the biggest fan of Decatur to be honest the malls were a bit shabby especially South Dekalb Mall.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]My dad used to reside in the Jonesbro and College Park area but I wasnt too impressed. What areas would you recommend for a young hip couple?[/SIZE]

Old 04-15-2011, 06:10 AM

198 posts, read 421,959 times
depends which is more important...beautiful with lake or walkability. for walkability i would think you could get a nice loft/condo in midtown and be able to walk to park, theater, restaurants, etc.

the lake closest to atlanta is allatoona...about 30 miles/25 minutes. further out in the mountains is lake arrowhead (waleska, ga) or lanier which is great for boating. about an hour east is lake oconee which is close to shopping and other stuff. on the border of geogia and south carolina is lake hartwell and in the northeast corner of georgia is lake rabun.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:21 AM

Walkability is more important although we both drive. Midtown is a very nice area but is it safe?

Old 04-15-2011, 08:11 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illdeezy View Post
Walkability is more important although we both drive. Midtown is a very nice area but is it safe?
Midtown is safe--general safety guidelines apply. From time to time cars are burglarized on the street---do not leave anything of value on the seat/visible.
Do not walk alone late at night, wearing headphones, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta