Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 12:34 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times

Advertisements

Enjoy...

Leaving the “private school bubble of wealth, privilege and non-diversity” to return to APS | Get Schooled

Feel free to comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 01:55 PM

115 posts, read 424,151 times
I think of a lot of things when I think of Brandon. Good school, for example. Do I think of diversity, either socioeconomically or racially? Not so much.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:19 PM

859 posts, read 2,120,113 times
Thanks for the link aries. As always when it comes to most topics in the public sector it's about zoning and the SES of those in the area. I can only speak of my primary and secondary education in Dallas, but I'm sure the trend is the same everywhere and that is everything is fine at the elementary level and for the most part middle school as well, but once you cast that broad zoning net for high school things change. Apartments are the devil blah blah blah. Per the article, I'm glad the trend of taking the kids out is slowing down and North Atlanta will be all the better for it.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:55 PM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl73 View Post
I think of a lot of things when I think of Brandon. Good school, for example. Do I think of diversity, either socioeconomically or racially? Not so much.
Definitely predominantly white (76%), but with 5% Asian, 11% black, 5% Hispanic and 3% multiracial. So you've got some diversity there, which to me seems okay since the neighborhood is about 98.5% white.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:50 PM

32 posts, read 93,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Definitely predominantly white (76%), but with 5% Asian, 11% black, 5% Hispanic and 3% multiracial. So you've got some diversity there, which to me seems okay since the neighborhood is about 98.5% white.

Actually it is 85% white, 9% black, 4% Hispanic and 3% Asian. Also 93% of the students are well off. This compared to my private school which is 56% white, 40% black, 2% Asian and 2% Asian. Plus we offer partial to full scholarships to 20% of the student body.

Hmm, looks like Brandon is more in a bubble than my private school...

Old 04-14-2011, 05:02 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,568 times
I know a lot of families in Buckhead, and this is certainly news to me. But looking at Sutton stats, there does seem to be some merit in the article. According to websites, in 2009 (latest yr. available), white kids were the largest ethnic group for the first time since records began in 1994. It'd be interesting to see the make up for this school year.

Although Sutton may be changing, North Atlanta seems to still be pretty rough, or at least sill have that reputation with most people I know in Buckhead. One positive is that they got rid of the "magnet" program. That was basically a back-door busing system.

If it is changing, it will probably change even more when the new school is built. It seems to be a psychological thing. People like the idea of new school buildings, as if it somehow makes a huge difference.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:16 PM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gddyupn View Post
Actually it is 85% white, 9% black, 4% Hispanic and 3% Asian. Also 93% of the students are well off. This compared to my private school which is 56% white, 40% black, 2% Asian and 2% Asian. Plus we offer partial to full scholarships to 20% of the student body.

Hmm, looks like Brandon is more in a bubble than my private school...
Actually the numbers I gave for Brandon are correct. You may be pulling data from Wikipedia and it's a few years old.

As to Westminster I couldn't comment. That's way out of my league and I seriously doubt that I or anyone in my family would be allowed to set foot there. If they've got their enrollment up to 40% black, the good for them!

Old 04-14-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
As to Westminster I couldn't comment. That's way out of my league and I seriously doubt that I or anyone in my family would be allowed to set foot there. If they've got their enrollment up to 40% black, the good for them!

He ain't talkin' 'bout no Westminster...

Old 04-14-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Thanks for the link aries. As always when it comes to most topics in the public sector it's about zoning and the SES of those in the area. I can only speak of my primary and secondary education in Dallas, but I'm sure the trend is the same everywhere and that is everything is fine at the elementary level and for the most part middle school as well, but once you cast that broad zoning net for high school things change. Apartments are the devil blah blah blah. Per the article, I'm glad the trend of taking the kids out is slowing down and North Atlanta will be all the better for it.
Sem problema...

And you are right about "apartments" and the "slowing down" and the future of North Atlanta (I hope they re-name the high school Buckhead High).

Old 04-14-2011, 10:01 PM

32 posts, read 93,998 times
Quote:
Actually the numbers I gave for Brandon are correct. You may be pulling data from Wikipedia and it's a few years old.

I wasn't pulling my numbers from Wikipedia, but from a cousin who has a child at Brandon and is on their PTA. Those were the numbers the school was reporting, according to her. Could be wrong, but that's her awareness.

And my kids aren't enrolled in Westminster right now. My son (I assume you're referring to my other posts) was accepted into their Junior High program, and will be there in the fall. Right now I have two kids (including my son) in an independent school in Atlanta, and it is 40% black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta