Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 03:54 PM

12 posts, read 23,752 times

Advertisements

ok..so with the help of some fellow georgians, along with family who live in georgia..ive narrowed down the areas as to where i may want to eventually reside in Georgia...Suwanee, Snellville/Lawrenceville/Grayson and Roswell..i know they are quite apart...thus research in progress...Roswell looks very promising...good schools and better job outlook for registered nurses...I have found that there are more medical facilities in Fulton County then there are in Gwinnette County...is this correct?...and is the commute from Roswell, Sandy Springs areas to metro atlanta a little better than Gwinnette County areas? (lawrenceville/suwanne areas)..I will be doing my best to obtain a position near the area where i choose to live..but can anyone give me a realistic time frame of the commute lets say on a weekend when you want to be out an about and spend time with family...muchas gracias!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 05:23 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unconquerable Soul View Post

ok..so with the help of some fellow georgians, along with family who live in georgia..ive narrowed down the areas as to where i may want to eventually reside in Georgia...Suwanee, Snellville/Lawrenceville/Grayson and Roswell..i know they are quite apart...thus research in progress...Roswell looks very promising...good schools and better job outlook for registered nurses...I have found that there are more medical facilities in Fulton County then there are in Gwinnette County...is this correct?...and is the commute from Roswell, Sandy Springs areas to metro atlanta a little better than Gwinnette County areas? (lawrenceville/suwanne areas)..I will be doing my best to obtain a position near the area where i choose to live..but can anyone give me a realistic time frame of the commute lets say on a weekend when you want to be out an about and spend time with family...muchas gracias!

I think it might be helpful if you view data in terms of cities rather than counties.

Fulton County has a shape only a mother could love. At one point Fulton County is only a few miles wide. But it is a very, very long county, in terms of miles, and it extends from northern metro Atlanta to southern metro Atlanta.

Good luck!

Old 04-14-2011, 05:51 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,262,660 times
I would try my hardest to get a job first, and then search for a good area that's a reasonable commute from the job. You can target areas you like for job hunting. But Georgia has higher unemployment than most of the country so you might want to think twice, or three times, before moving here without having a job.

That being said, I can't help myself:

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:45 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,775,133 times
Atlanta traffic is significantly easier on the weekend. I would try to live closer to work and leave the commute for out and about time.

You mentioned that you would likely work in a hospital. I am not very familiar with Gwinnett but yes, Fulton/Dekalb would have more. If you live in Roswell closer to GA400 you could easily go 5 miles north where the newer hospitals are being built or 5 miles south to Pill Hill (St. Joes and Northside). You could continue to go another 10 miles south and hit Piedmont, Grady etc. Emory and the VA are about 10 miles southeast

Just an FYI - that does not sound like a lot of miles but GA400 can be a beast on a bad traffic day

Old 04-14-2011, 06:55 PM

810 posts, read 3,307,664 times
Get a job first then worry about where to live. There's also a nice hospital between Newnan and Peachtree City.

My wife and I came last summer, spent time down in the Peachtree City /Newnan area. After I applied for several jobs in the ATL metro area, I finally accepted a job in North Atlanta in Sandy Springs. Now we are looking in the Roswell/Alpharetta/Cumming area for housing. I'm currently renting in Milton.

Good luck on your search.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:33 PM

468 posts, read 1,379,961 times
You titled the thread implying a trip to Ga in June... why not stay in different areas while you're here? Even if you drive around on the weekends, it'll give you an idea of a commute minus any rush-hour traffic. You'll get a chance to check out the different areas you're interested in.

Unfortunately, I've spent several visiting hours lately at Gwinnett Medical - it's always on the 'grow'! There's also a nice 'concentration' of hospitals at the I-285 and 400 interchange.

I agree with the other posts, in regards to letting employment sort of dictate your living area. Get the job first - then worry about any commute

Old 04-14-2011, 09:25 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,893,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mich2fla View Post
Get a job first then worry about where to live. There's also a nice hospital between Newnan and Peachtree City.

My wife and I came last summer, spent time down in the Peachtree City /Newnan area. After I applied for several jobs in the ATL metro area, I finally accepted a job in North Atlanta in Sandy Springs. Now we are looking in the Roswell/Alpharetta/Cumming area for housing. I'm currently renting in Milton.

Good luck on your search.
Perfect illustration of why the job should come first. So many people who post here would benefit from understanding this. Metro Atlanta is so big. There's no use setting your heart on locating in {Peachtree City} if you might end up accepting a job in {Sandy Springs}. For the places in braces, substitute any number of unwieldy combinations, e.g. Suwanee/Marietta, Johns Creek/Vinings, Fayetteville/Lawrenceville, Decatur/Acworth, etc.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:50 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,814,062 times
Do you have your Georgia RN license? It is a process. I started mine about six months before moving here and while on a house-hunting trip, got my finger prints done (you can no longer get them done out of state) for the background check. However, I found that the requirements frequently change, so keep checking the Board of Nursing website sot that you will be able to work when you get here.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:58 PM

12 posts, read 23,752 times
obtaining employment first is a must of course...it be suicide if i didnt...I am taking a trip in june and perhaps a few months later to look around and scope out neighborhoods...talk with the people..etc etc...

@ roxyrn, i have heard about the endorsement nightmares! and how long GBON can take...you bet i will be processing that months before...it seems though that all BON are taking a while now to endorse...Its the influx of nurses i guess...im so tired of ppl saying theres a shortage!..there isnt!..lol...thats a whole other topic!...but i will def land a job first..then make a move...

@plessthanpointohfive..Love it!...lol ..

Old 04-16-2011, 07:34 PM

468 posts, read 1,379,961 times
When you come down, visit the areas you're interested in most - look at them also from a rental perspective so you can rent for 6 mo to a year before deciding if that's the place you want to buy.

If you decide in the 6-12 month lease that you'd prefer a different area, go there and rent and check it all out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta