Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 09:15 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times

Advertisements

It's been a long time folks, but I've been going through some personal issues in my life over the past few months including dealing with depression. That's neither here nor there, but I will say that one incident that ocurred was my apartment getting burgularized a couple of months ago. Door broken down and my electronics (TV, laptop, DVD player, camera, etc.) gone. The perp(s) even rifled through my backpack and stole my jump drive that I had my graduate thesis on. I graduated last semester and I have backup copies, but the feeling of being violated has really left a bad taste in my mouth. My complex had a rash of break-ins and one incident in which someone got jumped and robbed. Yes, I may move later this year, but in the meantime, (a) I want to protect myself while I'm still here and (b) Yes, I can run, but crime happens in a lot of places you wouldn't think (I live in an area that people don't associate with crime, but things happen).

I got my measly claims check back from the insurance company - it's better than nothing and it helps to have rental insurance for incidents such as these. As for my items? Probably somewhere in a pawn shop in hock by now. I know next time I make major purchases on electronics, I'll take pictures of the receipts, serial numbers, etc. Lesson learned.

I've wanted to purchase a handgun for quite awhile anyhow, but this was definitely the straw that broke the camel's back. Besides playing a few video games when I was younger or shooting a BB gun in the backyard with my father, I've never picked up a gun or had any direct experience with a gun in my life. I don't know much about what type of handgun to get besides knowing i want something larger than a .22. I'm a big dude, so I don't want some dainty small gun, but I don't want to be in a situation in which im unable to **** the safety in the 'heat of the moment'.

Obviously, I'll need to know the protocol in terms of getting a license to even have a gun, not to mention getting lessons at a firing range and knowing the laws for self-defense in the state, as well as knowing about conceal-and-carry are all things I know I must learn. These are all things I will research accordingly, but if anyone here has some general knowledge, that would be great too. Even knowing where to put a gun by my bedside where I can get to it quickly just in case someone decides to come into my room late at night is a foreign concept to me.

I know this sounds somewhat drastic, but my mind is pretty much made up, and I want to protect myself and my home. Please spare me any lectures regarding gun control - not trying to be combative, but any goodwill I may have toward humanity goes out the window when it comes to my personal safety. If I have to shoot someone if my life is being threatened, so be it. This has been a decision i've been grappling with for awhile, and this isn't something that im taking lightly.

Thanks in advance. * * * **
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 09:31 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
Go to a local range and try some different pistols out, costs about $10-$20. Glock has a plant in Smyrna and are highly regarded.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:56 PM

449 posts, read 1,175,838 times
There was a gun show down in Fairburn off Jonesboro Road not far from me. I need to go next time and pick up a few tools when I move back down.

My house was never broken in when occupied, but was when it was vacant and I didn't have a teneant in.

All applicances stolen, even the iron, hangers, and ironing board I had.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:29 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
I can't remember the name, but I think there is also a gun/pawn shop in Austell that has a shooting range at the facility, too. If you buy from them, they give you a full lesson on how to properly use it, and I'm sure they can help you with info on getting the correct permits for the level you want to be able to carry it, etc.

Gun issues are a hot topic good and bad, but the fact is, burglaries and more violent crimes are an issue in metro Atlanta. I have no issues with people defending themselves these days, so long as they properly go through the right channels are you are to obtain a weapon, learn to use it correctly, permit it, etc. Obviously the laws we have no are no deterrent at all to the kids who commit most of these crimes. But if a ton of people arm themselves and the newscasts have stories of more and more burglars leaving homes in bags, it does tend to make people think twice about doing it. I remember hearing once that when a burglar or "crew" gets shot and hurt or killed in a neighborhood with a bad burglary problem, that the problem decreases dramatically in that neighborhood afterward - word gets out that the folks are fed up, and armed.

On your part though, make sure you have a monitored security system. Use it. Also, Home Depot and Lowes do sell reinforced plates for your locks that screw into your door frame that make it MUCH harder for the door to be kicked in. Adding extra long screws to the lock plates and hinges helps, too. Some places also sell inexpensive "Nanny cams" that are disguised as clocks or other items that record video when they sense movement. Some folks have actually caught people when their homes are broken into using these things.

Remember, once a home (or apt) is broken into once, it's up to 3X more likely to be broken into again, because the crooks will assume that with insurance, you will replace everything they've taken - and come back later to get the next "set" of items. It's important to bolster the door strength to help avoid bust-ins BEFORE you get broken into, but it's especially important after to avoid a repeat.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:35 AM

487 posts, read 1,815,998 times
Op, not sure where you live but I go to Bulls Eye (Lawrenceville) Gun range to practice-they have an ok selection of guns. Just go to any pawn/gun store and get a gun that feels comfortable in your hands. If you plan on carrying-you will need something on the smaller side to conceal. I currently carry a Taurus baby 9mm-holds 7 bullets and has a good kick. But the best thing to do is to be aware of your surroundings-you cant defend against a criminal when you dont see an attack coming. As for your home Greg gave some great advise-I have a couple of logitech cameras in front of my home and I can monitor online-they also serve as a great deterrent to burglars.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:32 AM

2,534 posts, read 2,255,345 times
Whether carrying or storing a gun, I think learning proper gun storage in the home is priority, especially when you have children and pets. I know of someone who accidentally shot themselves for not properly securing their pistol on their holster. Not good.

I know a few people that go to Bulls Eye in Lawrenceville every now and then. They have an indoor range. Also, you don't want your gun too easily accesible so that friends, visitors or children may get a hold to it. Other than that it's a matter of being quick yet very conscious of laws and consequences of using guns. Sad that people will risk their lives to steal someone else's belongings.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:26 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I can't remember the name, but I think there is also a gun/pawn shop in Austell that has a shooting range at the facility, too. If you buy from them, they give you a full lesson on how to properly use it, and I'm sure they can help you with info on getting the correct permits for the level you want to be able to carry it, etc.

Gun issues are a hot topic good and bad, but the fact is, burglaries and more violent crimes are an issue in metro Atlanta. I have no issues with people defending themselves these days, so long as they properly go through the right channels are you are to obtain a weapon, learn to use it correctly, permit it, etc. Obviously the laws we have no are no deterrent at all to the kids who commit most of these crimes. But if a ton of people arm themselves and the newscasts have stories of more and more burglars leaving homes in bags, it does tend to make people think twice about doing it. I remember hearing once that when a burglar or "crew" gets shot and hurt or killed in a neighborhood with a bad burglary problem, that the problem decreases dramatically in that neighborhood afterward - word gets out that the folks are fed up, and armed.

On your part though, make sure you have a monitored security system. Use it. Also, Home Depot and Lowes do sell reinforced plates for your locks that screw into your door frame that make it MUCH harder for the door to be kicked in. Adding extra long screws to the lock plates and hinges helps, too. Some places also sell inexpensive "Nanny cams" that are disguised as clocks or other items that record video when they sense movement. Some folks have actually caught people when their homes are broken into using these things.

Remember, once a home (or apt) is broken into once, it's up to 3X more likely to be broken into again, because the crooks will assume that with insurance, you will replace everything they've taken - and come back later to get the next "set" of items. It's important to bolster the door strength to help avoid bust-ins BEFORE you get broken into, but it's especially important after to avoid a repeat.
Great advice, Greg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookup138 View Post
Whether carrying or storing a gun, I think learning proper gun storage in the home is priority, especially when you have children and pets. I know of someone who accidentally shot themselves for not properly securing their pistol on their holster. Not good.

Pets too??? My oh my, these dogs and cats are getting too smart these days. Better feed them and take them out for walks, or you might get capped.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:35 AM

2,534 posts, read 2,255,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Great advice, Greg.

Pets too??? My oh my, these dogs and cats are getting too smart these days. Better feed them and take them out for walks, or you might get capped.
Pets are very inquisitive. An energetic playful dog with a gun that is not secured (safety on) could be devastating. As I previously stated proper gun storage is a must. Can't take any scenario lightly.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:40 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Great advice, Greg.

My old Shepherd/mix was tested by more than one trainer and they all concluded she had the intelligence level of (most) 5 year old human kids. Example - the dog would turn the TV on herself, when she wanted to watch it, etc. Point made. LOL. Dogs (at least SOME dogs) ARE smart enough to find, and tinker with, a gun. So yep - hide them from kids AND pets. Not only to protect them, but also you, as if they were to become injured, your butt is going to jail for it. Any responsible place he goes to get a gun though, should go over all of this with him - especially if he indicates it's his first gun.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:03 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

There is one on the corner of Austell Rd and Windy Hill Rd.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta