Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 10:57 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post
Lets get one thing straight. I was born and raised in Atlanta and my parents are from the south. Im southern born, southern bred. That being said, I dont harbor any ill will against transplants (or as some would probably refer to as yankees) that move to Atlanta and want to change the city. If that means the city will loose some of its "southern-ness", oh well. Change is the only constant! Atlanta will always be southern--its in the south. We can still be Southern yet also strive to have the culutre, vibe, density, hipness of Boston. In fact, this combination is uniquely Atlanta.

And Im not obsessed with seeking validation. I just know many Southerners, natives, and transplants who have banded together to transform this city into something we all agree is ideal. The Atlanta being praised in the article took a lot more than just throwing up some condos. Its nice to hear some praise from the last people on earth you would expect to hear it from.

Honestly, if you dont like the way the city is changing, move to Birmingham or Memphis. They havent been blessed with transplants. There is far less drive from the residents to change those cities, which some may prefer.

I just dont understand someone who moves to Atlanta and then complains about transplants trying to change it. Uh, this is Atlanta. Transplants have been changing it since they invented A/C. This is nothing new. Its just reached a more intense stage.

EDIT: Do you even live in Atlanta??? What gives?
I think sometimes people can confuse positive commentary as obsession rather than simply civic pride, especially online. I would guess that most people on this site are not necessarily obsessed with their city as much as they are knowledgeable and proud. I know that I've been accused of being a cheerleader for Atlanta, and while I do love my city, I am not blind to it's issues and shortcomings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 11:31 AM

188 posts, read 594,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The suburbs have zillions of excellent independent restaurants.
Thank you for this point. I've lived in Johns Creek for almost 4 years. The only national chain restaurants I've eaten at since I moved here are Subway and Einstein's Bagel, and that's because my kids are obsessed with them. Otherwise, every time we eat out, we're at a mom and pop restaurant within a few miles from our house.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:06 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresninas View Post
Thank you for this point. I've lived in Johns Creek for almost 4 years. The only national chain restaurants I've eaten at since I moved here are Subway and Einstein's Bagel, and that's because my kids are obsessed with them. Otherwise, every time we eat out, we're at a mom and pop restaurant within a few miles from our house.
Yep. And a lot of chains like Einstein's and Subway are locally owned and operated, and are really very little different from an indigenous eatery.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:28 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times
Just ate lunch at my local Einstein's in north-east Cobb. I guess that was a very suburban sort of thing to do. It does rather escape me why some are so bothered by chain restaurants. I don't use only chain restaurants, but I often find them convenient and good.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:47 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
Well, they must be impressed with something, because a hell of a lot of them are moving down there...
I obviously can't speak for you, but most New Yorkers I've known who have relocated to the south were mostly impressed with the affordability and amount of space. The quiet neighborhoods and new development. Not as much impressed with whatever urbanity can be found here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I think sometimes people can confuse positive commentary as obsession rather than simply civic pride, especially online. I would guess that most people on this site are not necessarily obsessed with their city as much as they are knowledgeable and proud. I know that I've been accused of being a cheerleader for Atlanta, and while I do love my city, I am not blind to it's issues and shortcomings.
I don't think I've ever mistaken you for an obsessive booster. We may have disagreed on some things, but if anything you seem like one of the more sensible posters.

I love Atlanta just the way it is. And other posters can spin things however they'd like, but I still say some are a bit too eager for domestic transplants to transform their city. "Make us more like you, please" . I'm not saying the city shouldn't improve, but there's a way to do it without feeling the need to pass the New York test.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:10 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post

I don't think I've ever mistaken you for an obsessive booster. We may have disagreed on some things, but if anything you seem like one of the more sensible posters.

I love Atlanta just the way it is. And other posters can spin things however they'd like, but I still say some are a bit too eager for domestic transplants to transform their city. "Make us more like you, please" . I'm not saying the city shouldn't improve, but there's a way to do it without feeling the need to pass the New York test.
Well, thank you - not that I need anyone's validation, of course.

I agree that some people can be overly zealous about Atlanta, but the same can be said for any city. There are a couple of Atlanta members on this site who make some comments that make them look needy or obsessive...that said, I highly doubt that similar members from Philly or Detroit are any better.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:12 PM

444 posts, read 703,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
I obviously can't speak for you, but most New Yorkers I've known who have relocated to the south were mostly impressed with the affordability and amount of space. The quiet neighborhoods and new development. Not as much impressed with whatever urbanity can be found here.
True, but many also end up loving the area and are actually pleasantly surprised with the diversity, the opportunities, the restaurant scene and the overall vibe.

Quote:
But, is there any other way...? LoL, just kidding.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:23 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Well, thank you - not that I need anyone's validation, of course.

I agree that some people can be overly zealous about Atlanta, but the same can be said for any city. There are a couple of Atlanta members on this site who make some comments that make them look needy or obsessive...that said, I highly doubt that similar members from Philly or Detroit are any better.
Oh, no doubt. In fact, it wasn't too long ago that several posters and I were engaged in a "heated" discussion about Houston needing to shed its southern attributes in order to gain more acceptance. This attitude is prevalent in several cities, and not at all exclusive to Atlanta.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:57 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,591,809 times
I guess the article is OK. However, it's a very, very, very brief article. It's mostly pictures. What's surprising is that it took two journalists to write this small article.

I suppose it took 10 photographers to assemble the pictures.

I really don't know how much "stock" to place in the WSJ. Most of the paper sucks.

In this edition I LOVED the health care editorial. The author writes about the miserable British health care system and how our new health care reforms are doomed. Sure! Our King and Queen, and the royals, will make it insolvent. I loved the pictures. Especially the obese woman taking her blood pressure reading. And the fat family waiting to see a doctor was a nice touch.

The review about the parenting book was wuuuunderful! Have lots of children and don't buy them anything. A TV set will raise them. Everything is nature and not nuture.

After reading the above articles, it's kind of hard to believe anything this paper says.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:36 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
Atlanta has very insecure residents who cheer at any sign of attention that will dispell preconceived notions that only they care about.
Please. Are there any other notes on that piano besides the one you continually banging on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta