Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 08:57 AM

10 posts, read 25,356 times

Advertisements

I was arrested in Chamblee, Ga for driving on a suspended license. My license had been suspended the day before and I had no knowledge of it. ( The DDS had sent the letter less than 24 hours before my arrest) I received a speeding ticket 6 months before and payed the $250 fine but never received notification in the mail from the state that it was something called "super speeders" and required an addition $200. So they suspended my license after I did not pay that. I was arrested in Chamblee, posted bail and payed the fine for super speeders the next day and my license was immediately re-instated. I have to go to court in Chamblee for driving with a suspended license. This is a first offense of any kind for me , what should I expect in court? Some websites say mandatory 2 days in jail and fine of at least $500.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 09:21 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,584,512 times
I would contact the D.A. for the court. As all the fines have been taken care of they may be inclined to dismiss. If they make you appear in court I would ask for a chain of custody on the super speed letter that they never sent. The letter should have been sent by certified mail with a receipt required. If they cannot prove they sent the letter out you should have a case for having the charge dismissed at that point.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:31 AM

71 posts, read 202,239 times
It's likely that your incarceration will be credited to the sentence when you go before the judge as well as the bail you posted (though you may need to make up the difference or get a partial refund on the bail money when given the sentence for the violation). If you hired a bail bondsmen, scratch what I just said as they will get their money back when you go to court and you'll be facing a fine....but the jail time should count toward the sentence.

Unfortunately the Super Speeder fine ISN'T part of a speeding ticket fine when you've qualified to be stuck with a SS citation, it comes seperately in the mail. A LOT of people think that it's part of the fine they pay to the court. If I were you, I'd take all the documentation/recepits from paying the SS fine and reinstating your license to show the court that you weren't aware of the situation and that you're really trying to "get back on track". You can also plead no-lo to the charges if you're worried about the points for no license going on your record.

Here is the biggie- Upon a conviction of driving on a suspended license, a six month suspension is mandatory.

www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata.aspx?con=1744060376&ty=dl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA DDS
If convicted for driving while license is suspended, revoked or canceled, your driver's license will be further suspended for six months.
Remember, it's not up to the court weither your license is suspended upon paying the citation. That happens when the DDS receives the records from the court. The only way to change this is to have the violation changed. For that, I'd recommend getting an attorney as they can have much more pull in moving things around in your favor, just be prepared to pay.

BTW- You can go to https://online.dds.ga.gov/OnlineServ...unt/Login.aspx and make an account to see the current status of your license and how many points you have for free. Paying the SS fine might not have automatically reinstated your license. Did you go to the DDS to ensure that you currently have a valid license?

Old 04-18-2011, 09:40 AM

Thanks for your post. I have verified that my license is in fact valid via the DDS website. I suppose I should find a lawyer as I can not afford to have my license suspended for even 1 day. I was arrested on March 22nd. I contacted DDS and the letter notifying me of suspension was sent on March 21. I have requested a copy of this letter from DDS to supply in court. I hope that a lawyer might be able to use that to help me avoid the charges.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:13 AM

So I am for certain going to get a lawyer. Who are the best recommended?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta