Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 12:46 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,813 times

Advertisements

The Ellis is actually a great hotel right in the thick of things, but the most basic room for 1 occupant "starts" at $132, meaning a room there starts at $150, and they go up to $250+.

I would also recommend the Residence Inn Downtown (a block from the Ellis), and with parking it has rates starting at $114, BUT you get a lot less hotel for the price than similar hotels in other areas.

The average rate for a guest room with a Queen in the Glenn Hotel on M Street was $159, and average rates went above $300 for suites.

With parking, a standard room at the Holiday Inn was $119, so that's in the range, but you won't find me staying there (smoky rooms). I'd stay at a similar hotel if I was road tripping it, but not for a downtown getaway, where I would want something at least decent.

I can say the same about the rest of the hotels on the list.

Finally, having been to the Sheraton, I can say that they advertise rates starting at $99, but good luck finding a room near that price. Oh, and don't forget to factor in the $20 self-parking fee per day into your price (valet is of course a little bit more). The Sheraton is not even very nice and is in a weird part of downtown, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 12:53 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Also, many Midtown hotels have lower rates and are not luxury brands...these are pretty reasonably priced:

Georgia Tech Hotel (an excellent value): Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center
Residence Inn: Midtown Atlanta Hotels | Atlanta Midtown Hotel: Residence Inn Atlanta Midtown Hotel
Hotel Indigo: Hotel Indigo ATLANTA Hotels | ATLANTA MIDTOWN | Welcome
Midtown Hotel: Midtown Atlanta Hotel
Marriott Courtyard: Midtown hotel in Atlanta, Ga: Courtyard Atlanta Midtown hotel - A Georgia Tech Hotel
I heavily recommend Midtown hotels above and beyond downtown hotels. GT Hotel is not within $130, though, but it is surprisingly nice. I recommend the Residence Inn at 11th and West Peachtree and I recommend the Marriott Suites on 14th St in Midtown (next to the Four Seasons...heavily recommend this place, even moreso than I would recommend the stuffy Four Seasons).

I also recommend the Regency Suites at 10th and West Peachtree. A suite there can be just squeezed almost inside of your budget ($139 + parking).

Me? I think you should splurge a little and stay in a suite at the W or the Loews and make the kids squeeze in with you/sleep on the sofa. That eliminates one room, you'll have to pay ridiculous parking no matter what whether it's the Holiday Inn or the Four Seasons, and you'll have to cover breakfast (gives you an excuse not to eat powdered hotel eggs and instead visit local places with good prices like Flying Biscuit in Midtown or the places downtown).

Old 04-19-2011, 12:53 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
The Ellis
I've stayeed at The Ellis and The Glenn. Both were less than $130 for me and my wife.

The Glenn is closer to the downtown attractions, but our room there was very small, and the bathroom/shower setup seemed to be geared towards honeymooners and/or people having affairs, and not families.

The Ellis was excellent. The room was quite large and comfortable. I'd pick The Ellis if you can get a good rate.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:37 PM

314 posts, read 675,985 times
Wow! Thank you all so much for all the great suggestions...I will start doing some research on hotels asap!

Old 04-19-2011, 03:08 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Finally, having been to the Sheraton, I can say that they advertise rates starting at $99, but good luck finding a room near that price. Oh, and don't forget to factor in the $20 self-parking fee per day into your price (valet is of course a little bit more). The Sheraton is not even very nice and is in a weird part of downtown, as well.
I was going to say scratch the Sheraton too, for the prices. The location isn't quite that bad, but I probably wouldn't walk to the COP area (Pemberton Place) from there.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:16 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA2NC View Post
Wow! Thank you all so much for all the great suggestions...I will start doing some research on hotels asap!
If you want a less expensive option--about 5 miles from downtown/midtown--there is a Homestead Inn and several other motels/hotels--Hampton Inn and a Marriott, IIRC at Executive Park/North Druid Hills.

Homestead Studio Suites Hotels - Atlanta, GA Hotel
http://www.therealplaces.com/hotels-...20Hills%20Road

The buses run in this area regularly--and you could catch the train at Lindbergh station to tour the downtown area. Just a thought.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:48 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Courtland Street is a "weird" part of downtown? I disagree...it's one block east of Peachtree Center. As far as it being too far from Centennial Park, it's 5 blocks away...an easy walk. I've never stayed there, but it seems silly to steer someone away from a hotel for reasons like this.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:07 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Quote:
Courtland Street is a "weird" part of downtown? I disagree...it's one block east of Peachtree Center. As far as it being too far from Centennial Park, it's 5 blocks away...an easy walk. I've never stayed there, but it seems silly to steer someone away from a hotel for reasons like this.
I've stayed there before, and my main complaint is price, particularly parking. The rooms are nice enough though.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:28 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I've stayed there before, and my main complaint is price, particularly parking. The rooms are nice enough though.
Okay cool...I'm not advocating for it or any of the hotels, just don't understand some of the negativity about them. It makes more sense coming from someone who has experience with one.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:15 PM

314 posts, read 675,985 times
I do like the looks of The Ellis and it has great reviews. May be worth the extra $$. My question is how much is parking?

Also, I see some places offer package deals....are these good deals?

Last edited by MA2NC; 04-19-2011 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: added content
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta