Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 09:00 AM

276 posts, read 1,127,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmom View Post
My daughter lived in the Brentwood Estates subdivision in Grayson. It's right on Grayson hwy. There are many subdivisions on that road. Might be worth checking out! Good Luck!
Thanks so much....I will check it out. Do you happen to have a zip code for Brentwood Estates? Not to be pushy lol...
Have a great day....Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post
I was at the Dr. this morning and was thumbing through a recent issue of Money magazine saw that Peachtree City was one of three Georgia towns ranked among the top 100 places to live in the country. Suwanee was also liste but I can't recall the third.
How far is PeachTree City from Grayson area? I read an article on Top 100 and it was there as well but it was not Money Magazine...I found a house there but did not get a chance to go and look at it while we were in GA last week...Not enough time to see everything...and diidnt do any sightseeing either..but when we move there in the fall we will be able to do it ALL!!! I cant wait....Thanks again...Lisa

Old 08-01-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh891 View Post
We go to Gracepointe on the corner of 78 and Rosebud Rd. I've never been a churchgoer (after Catholic school) but was invited and never stopped going after the first time.

If you have a general price range for a home I can send you the name of some beautiful subdivisions to check out. You can take backroads from my area and be in Grayson in just under 10 minutes.
Hi there,
Yeah I went to Catholic school too...I used to feel the same way..Now I love to go to church...Its amazing whats its like to actually KNOW the LORD and just not go to church because your told too...
Our price range is up too 225K(give or take 10K) we are looking for a 3-4 bedroom in a swim tennis community. I have a child heading to Middle school so that is an important element in my search. I loved what I saw and heard of Grayson. I will have to keep your church in my file so when we move to GA we can check it out. I even know the streets you are talking about(wow did we get LOST alot lol)...We went to a church in Lilburn called NewMercies..It was wonderful....my family and I (four of us) were the only caucations in the church and never felt more comfortable or welcome..Just a wonderful expirience all the way around..Would go back again till we found a home church of our own, unless of course God wants NewMercies to be our home church which would be fine with us too..
Thanks again for your help. I am check ing out some zips in Grayson and Buford now...Gotta love the net...Lisa

Old 08-01-2007, 09:40 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,340,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibseysgirl View Post
How far is PeachTree City from Grayson area?
They are on opposite sides of the metro area. Mapquest says it is 60 miles, I would guess its about 1.5 hours during none rush hour.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:30 PM

9 posts, read 31,502 times
Default Snellville Mom

We have lived in Snellville for 13 years and love our sub-division, Grahams Port Lane. Great neighbors and great kids. We are being transferred to Washington State and our house is up for sale. I have 2 boys that have gone thhrough the Gwinnett county schools and have graduated from Shiloh High School. Remember Everybody is Somebody in Snellville.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:41 PM

10 posts, read 52,265 times
The commute to downtown Atlanta from either Snellville or Grayson will be extremely horrible. I would suggest doing a trial run of this commute at rush hour before even considering these places. With an accident or bad weather it could run over 2 hours. Both are great places but there is no easy way to get to downtown from there.

Three alternatives:

1)Look around Sugarloaf Park subdivision in Dultuh. This is in the excellent Peachtree Ridge school cluster. It is conveniently close to Discover Mills Mall. It has easy acccess to 85 south via Meadow Church Road and Boggs Rd. At least this is a direct freeway connection to downtown. If 85 is jammed,you can go on Shallowford and Singleton parallel to and south of the freeway and enter the freeway at a different point. This is still a long ride though.

2)Look around the Camp Creek elementary area on Coles. This is in the highly rated Parkview cluster. It is closer to downtown than the other areas you mentioned and still in the Gwinnett school district. You could access downtown via Lilburn Stone Mtn. Rd.,the 78 freeway west to 285 south to 20 west. There are also many local road alternatives here.

3)Look at the Northlake area in the excellent Lakeside High school attendence area. This is much closer to downtown. You could enter the 85 at Shallowford Rd. or you could take Marta from Brookhaven. Much,much shorter commute. This is a professional area with lots of people from Emory University,CDC and Mercer University. This area is close to Northlake Mall,Emory,Mercer,Whole Foods on La Vista,Dekalb Farmers market,& the diverse Asian cuisines found in the Chamblee/Doraville area. This is a very diverse area,for example Henderson Mill Elementary comes in at 30% Caucasian,25% African American,27% Hispanic and 13% Asian.

Peachtree City is also a great place,however I suggest trying the drive at rush hour on either Highway 74 or 54 from one of the Highway 85's before making a final decison.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:48 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
Well, you use diversity, most people associate diversity with white and black (only two races, that's not very diverse). If you want to live next to Mexicans, Asians, Indians, Blacks, Whites, Arabs then you need to move to Gwinnett.

Otherwise if you want to move in a semi-secluded area, with not so bad traffic, mostly white, low crime, then move to PeachTree City. It's off of 85 South not 75 South so it isn't as bad, and it wont develop as much.

Only problem with living on the South side, is that there are more jobs on the North side if you husband ever changes jobs.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:32 AM

19 posts, read 117,309 times
Thank you for all of your responses. They are quite helpful! Especially Sugarloafing. Does it really taek 2 hours to get to downtown ATL from Grayson? Geeesh!!

In my original posting, I did indicate that I am relocating from the DC Metro Area. This is the #3 most diversed metro in the US, so of course I am not speaking of Black and White. My kids closiest friends are Vietnamese, Black, White, Philipino, Dominican, Ethiopian, and Guyanese. I don't think that you can get more diversed than that! If those areas mentioned above have this type of diversity, please let me know. I am black, and I love my people, but diversity is a must! This has helped my kids love and accept all people and their beliefs. I just wished that I had this when I was growing up. Maybe the stereotypes that grew up around could have been dispelled at an earlier age.

We are visting Grayson, Lawrenceville, and Peachtree City next Tues. We will be staying for a week. Hopefully we will be able to narrow it down. I will let you guys know what we decide. A side note....Does anyone know about Great River at Treble Mill subdivision?

Old 08-03-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamomnva View Post
Thank you for all of your responses. They are quite helpful! Especially Sugarloafing. Does it really taek 2 hours to get to downtown ATL from Grayson? Geeesh!!

In my original posting, I did indicate that I am relocating from the DC Metro Area. This is the #3 most diversed metro in the US, so of course I am not speaking of Black and White. My kids closiest friends are Vietnamese, Black, White, Philipino, Dominican, Ethiopian, and Guyanese. I don't think that you can get more diversed than that! If those areas mentioned above have this type of diversity, please let me know. I am black, and I love my people, but diversity is a must! This has helped my kids love and accept all people and their beliefs. I just wished that I had this when I was growing up. Maybe the stereotypes that grew up around could have been dispelled at an earlier age.

We are visting Grayson, Lawrenceville, and Peachtree City next Tues. We will be staying for a week. Hopefully we will be able to narrow it down. I will let you guys know what we decide. A side note....Does anyone know about Great River at Treble Mill subdivision?
Hi there,
Hope your search and visit goes well. I am looking at the very same areas you are so if you dont mind PM me and let me know how you made out and what you found. We are still doing our search to narrow things down..We are leaning toward Grayson. Its beautiful there....I loved Lawrenceville but it was a bit more expensive (we wanted downtown area) than we can swing....Schools in both are good. Grayson is better from what I have been told and from research...
What type of area are you looking for? Are you looking for a traditional neighborhood or a subdivison? Good Luck...We just got back last week for our 1st visit and we loved it...Planning on another trip this month hopefully and then moving in Georgia in September or October. If we dont find exactally what we are looking for we are going to either get a short term rental or an extended stay hotel until we do. The choices are vast...the hardest things for us to get used to is the way it is so spead out and the school clusters...Alot of great towns but the schools and hit or miss for sure. I would love any feedback you have to share from your trip and if I can help let me know..I can let you know what we found and all that....I will say no matter where you go EVERYONE was very friendly and hospitable...I just love the people.....Take Care......Lisa

Old 08-04-2007, 02:01 AM

10 posts, read 52,265 times
Quote:
Does it really take 2 hours to get to downtown ATL from Grayson?
Once you find the optimum route and if you leave early enough you can probably do it in an hour. However,it could easily take two hours with an accident blocking the highway or bad weather. Since Atlanta averages 48 inches a rain per year,this is not an unlikely occurrence.

Last edited by xxman777; 08-04-2007 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: quotes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta