Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:56 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,870,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's hard to say what MARTA is supposed to do, however. According to the news, there were two officers right there in the station when the mob got on board, but they can't arrest fare-paying customers for simply getting on a train.
I went home at lunch, and they were interviewing someone who was on the car when this happened. According to him, there were two officers there who watched the kids get on the train, but the officers did not go on the train themselves.

Ok, sorry, I do have to take issue with this. 24 (approx) rowdy/nervous/whatever teens are getting on a train in a so-so neighborhood after Midnight, and the officers did not feel the need to follow them onto the car to see what they were up to? Arresting them for being in a group isn't the question - it's that the whole scene should have looked suspicious enough for the officers to have followed the kids, hence, most likely preventing them from doing anything right in front of them to begin with.

For that matter, there are many cities and communities in the U.S. that have problems that DO have curfews for teens, and in some places, even limit the number of under aged people who can congregate in one spot. Considering the issues we have here, I have to wonder why the City doesn't have these.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:57 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,870,568 times
Quote:
What was the outcome of that investigation? I don't recall hearing anything else about it.

Last report was simply that they greatly beefed up security in that area when the event started up again, and it kept the troublemakers out.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:15 PM

859 posts, read 2,119,390 times
Quote:
What was the outcome of that investigation? I don't recall hearing anything else about it.

What Greg said. Here's a link outlining the new security measures the city put in place and will have in the place this year if it is brought back. City of Atlanta Online (http://www.atlantaga.gov/media/nr_screenonthegreen_061410.aspx - broken link)
But honestly I haven't heard much or could find anything detailing plans for this year

Old 04-20-2011, 12:23 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,985,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post

Looks to me it is unsafe. Am I missing something?
Yeah, the fact that this is a bizarre incident on several levels.

A gang of kids wearing pink? What the eff has the world come to?

Old 04-20-2011, 12:33 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
A gang of kids wearing pink? What the eff has the world come to?
Now I'm missing something. Why does wearing pink make the guy who busts you in the face with a soda can different from any other gang member who hits you in the face with a soda can?

Old 04-20-2011, 12:36 PM

227 posts, read 494,538 times
Marta is Smarta my ass

Old 04-20-2011, 12:48 PM

969 posts, read 1,958,395 times
I always take MARTA to the airport (never that late though) and never had a problem nor have I felt unsafe. This isn't going to stop me from using it, but stuff like this really pisses me off. At the same time, having lived in NYC, stuff like this unfortunately happens there too, especially late at night. The freaks come out at night, so I'd take a cab. I would do the same thing here.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:02 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,280 times
Seems they were on the train, not on the platform so there wasn't anywhere to go. These kids don't need parents, they need the Guillotine.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:06 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,985,810 times
Quote:
Now I'm missing something. Why does wearing pink make the guy who busts you in the face with a soda can different from any other gang member who hits you in the face with a soda can?

Growing up on the Southside wearing pink was almost a universal marker of being weak and nonthreatening. For lack of a better word (and less offensive) it made you a sissy. And of course, in a rough neighborhood the last thing you want is to be thought of a sissy even if you aren't a ruffian.

Because of that, wearing pink was just one of those unsaid things you just did not do like leave your car or front door unlocked or walk through an unfamiliar neighborhood with nice clothes and shoes on.

Frankly, the idea of a gaggle of kids all wearing pink would make me laugh more than anything else.

I guess things are different now.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:12 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Growing up on the Southside wearing pink was almost a universal marker of being weak and nonthreatening. For lack of a better word (and less offensive) it made you a sissy. And of course, in a rough neighborhood the last thing you want is to be thought of a sissy even if you aren't a ruffian.

Because of that, wearing pink was just one of those unsaid things you just did not do like leave your car or front door unlocked or walk through an unfamiliar neighborhood with nice clothes and shoes on.

Frankly, the idea of a gaggle of kids all wearing pink would make me laugh more than anything else.

I guess things are different now.
Around 7 so years ago a rapper named Cam'ron (the idiot who was on Bill Orly and 60 minutes who said he doesn't snitch) popularized wearing PINK. He is out of Harlem NY.

OF course this meant everyone thought they were cool and a rapper and gangster and wore pink for about 6 months. I remember, it was ridiculous.

Some say they were trying to relate to blood gang(red) but were East Coast. Since Bloods (red) and Crips (Blue) dominate pink kind of became a default Gang color.

Google camron and Pink and prepare to laugh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta