Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 02:19 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Okay, enough with the side argument about specific routes in Houston! Nobody else cares about that, so how about taking it private???
I don't have a problem with routes, there are zillions of alternative routes I don't know why he is stuck on one crazy route, It was a stupid example to prove an erroneous point. No need to drag it on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 02:29 PM

29 posts, read 39,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I don't have a problem with routes, there are zillions of alternative routes I don't know why he is stuck on one crazy route, It was a stupid example to prove an erroneous point. No need to drag it on.
It's because you came across as a Houston booster saying that Atlanta has no alternatives to highways because it is not gridded . Google maps and locals(non recent transplants) can tell you this was a false.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:36 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martaman2011 View Post
It's because you came across as a Houston booster saying that Atlanta has no alternatives to highways because it is not gridded . Google maps and locals(non recent transplants) can tell you this was a false.
I've lived in both cities and my only guess is that he hasn't lived in Atlanta and spends most of his time in inner loop Houston (which not many people do given the density). Anyway, I've taken this conversation back to the Houston forum. Sorry for the deviation.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
where did I say that? show me. Someone was dumping on Houston and said that the metro is so large that It takes hours to go anywhere and I said how many times would anyone have to go from one side of the metro to the other. Then I made the comment that people in Houston act like the surface roads in Houston are not utilized to their potential. How does that involve ATL in anyway?

stop being so sensitive, I never put down ATL once in this thread although a bunch of people were dumping on Houston.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
I've lived in both cities and my only guess is that he hasn't lived in Atlanta and spends most of his time in inner loop Houston (which not many people do given the density). Anyway, I've taken this conversation back to the Houston forum. Sorry for the deviation.
I have had family in ATL way longer than IN Houston. While my experience with Houston only goes back to 10 years, mine with ATL go back almost 20.

as for the inner loop I have only lived there for 9 months. I lived in the SW for over 6 years thank you very much.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:47 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
I like in Atlanta how we didn't get on the freeways to get to where we were going.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:54 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,255,760 times
The problem with Atlanta's so called "alternative" routes is traffic. Shortcut turns into long cuts. For instance, using Peachtree Rd turning into Peachtree Industrial Rd. to head north of Altanta to avoid Buckhead's I-85N/400N traffic. It's completely congested until you are past Brookhaven but it takes 30 minutes just to get out of Buckhead alone, except for on Fridays it's more like 45 minutes or longer. There are not enough shortcuts heading north to Johns Creek, Suwanee, Alpharetta, etc. Alternative roads are not shortcuts either because they can set your commute back another 30 minutes or more in some cases. Don't forget the traffic jams due to school buses that unload our precious cargo if you get off work before 3:30pm

Old 04-25-2011, 03:44 PM

29 posts, read 39,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookup138 View Post
The problem with Atlanta's so called "alternative" routes is traffic. Shortcut turns into long cuts. For instance, using Peachtree Rd turning into Peachtree Industrial Rd. to head north of Altanta to avoid Buckhead's I-85N/400N traffic. It's completely congested until you are past Brookhaven but it takes 30 minutes just to get out of Buckhead alone, except for on Fridays it's more like 45 minutes or longer. There are not enough shortcuts heading north to Johns Creek, Suwanee, Alpharetta, etc. Alternative roads are not shortcuts either because they can set your commute back another 30 minutes or more in some cases. Don't forget the traffic jams due to school buses that unload our precious cargo if you get off work before 3:30pm
The key is to know when to use them and to mix use them. If you know where one turns into a parking lot you can usually hop on the other.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:59 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
1.There are plenty of alternatives to the highway here and Atlanta is too hilly to have a decent grid system.

2. It is not the city of Atlanta's fault if people don't want to live near certain areas where they have most of their needs, but there are plenty of area just like the ones in Houston that don't require more then a 5 mile drive and I don't personally know anybody who doesn't live in them.

3. Stop trying to make Houston seem significantly denser by saying Texas builds on smaller lots. The lot sizes here vary and thus you get more of choice, but its not like Houston blowing Atlanta out the water with walkability and especially transit access.

4. Texas has way bigger counties then Georgia so don't even try to use that to compare anything. Bottom line, If you don't or haven't actually live in Atlanta please stay out of our forums and if you moved because you hate it here stay out of our forum since this does not concern you.
No one is saying that. All that was said is that Houston generally has smmaller lots, and you have us acting like Houston is Manhattan or something.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
No one is saying that. All that was said is that Houston generally has smmaller lots, and you have us acting like Houston is Manhattan or something.
yeah, I have noticed a lot of overreaction and misquotations in this thread. You make a simple comment and either you are boosting Houston or slinging mud at ATL no middle ground in here I guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta