Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:39 AM

10 posts, read 14,215 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

We are very excited to move out to either of these places. I would love for anyone to give us input on which place is a better one to move to and why they think so. In Atlanta we were looking at East Cobb because of the schools and in Houston we were thinking of the Sweetwater area. Any help would be highly appreciated. My husband travels all the time as these two have pretty good airports. We have two small kids ages 7 and 9 and obviously having a good school district is important too.

Thanks for all your help!!

Last edited by Move11; 04-20-2011 at 10:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 10:44 AM

10,733 posts, read 13,271,657 times
I'm biased towards Atlanta (obviously!). I really cannot speak to Cobb Co. schools, homes, etc., but I believe you'll find Atlanta greener, not as humid and generally an enviornmentally "better" place. I realize that's subjective, but I do think Atlanta is the prettier of the two.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:54 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,747,873 times
Rolling hills, trees and change of seasons - easy trips to Florida beaches or NC mountains - this would be an easy decision for me.

Of course Texas does not have a state tax which is a plus but I am a believer you get taxed one way or another so look at cost of living which they are both similar

You can't go wrong with East Cobb schools and neighborhoods

Old 04-20-2011, 10:59 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,511,728 times
I really haven't heard all that many positives about Houston and I'm certainly not an Atlanta booster. I have a friend who recently moved to Houston after living in Atlanta and I don't think he is very fond of it.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:54 AM

17,406 posts, read 65,568,867 times
First off start here-
//www.city-data.com/forum/12137157-post1.html
Answer these questions- it will help a lot.

My question- Why ATL or HOU?
Why not Orlando and Memphis? Or Charlotte and Phoenix? They all have airports.
Is it family members, places of residence in the past, etc.?

Old 04-20-2011, 12:08 PM

6 posts, read 9,291 times
Default Where should I go?

My job is relocating to Duluth Georgia, any suggestions on places to live? Looking for a short commute to work, BIG emphasis on education and school districts, quite and somewhat away from the bright city lights...we're from central Illinois (cornfields). Pros/Cons...your honesty is greatly appreciated...Thank you!

Old 04-20-2011, 05:33 PM

17,406 posts, read 65,568,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMMY4 View Post
Looking for a short commute to work...quite and somewhat away from the bright city lights!
Those don't go together around here.

A short commute could mean < 10mi. but that could also be 35mins behind the wheel.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:13 AM

23,318 posts, read 43,776,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I'm biased towards Atlanta (obviously!). I really cannot speak to Cobb Co. schools, homes, etc., but I believe you'll find Atlanta greener, not as humid and generally an environmentally "better" place. I realize that's subjective, but I do think Atlanta is the prettier of the two.
Agree. The neighborhoods, for one, are much prettier in Atlanta IMO.
I do like Houston as a visitor, and have a couple of cousins that are content with their life there. Otherwise, it has gotten pretty mixed reviews from my acquaintances that have moved there.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:28 AM

2,534 posts, read 2,245,844 times
I think the only difference between ATL and Houston would be that Houston is larger population- wise and has much warmer weather during winter. I have visited Houston a few times and in comparison to Atlanta it has the same relaxed country feel to it but I feel more "southern comfort" in Atlanta. Take one summer (when the little ones are out of school) and stay one month in both cities and compare.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:36 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,781,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookup138 View Post
I think the only difference between ATL and Houston would be that Houston is larger population- wise and has much warmer weather during winter. I have visited Houston a few times and in comparison to Atlanta it has the same relaxed country feel to it but I feel more "southern comfort" in Atlanta. Take one summer (when the little ones are out of school) and stay one month in both cities and compare.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Houston has a whole lot of friendly people and it is a really welcoming city, but the reason why I have considered ATL as a place I would definitely live is that I find it more closely nit.

Otherwise, like you said the two are not largely different.

OP listen to lookup and visit the two and see which fits your needs the best.

Don't listen to the ones who talk about which neighborhoods look better, they might have much different tastes from yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta