Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 05:44 PM

222 posts, read 587,599 times

Advertisements

Anyone know how often the train (CSX?) runs along the tracks just below the MARTA line along College Ave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 09:34 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlawrence View Post
Anyone know how often the train (CSX?) runs along the tracks just below the MARTA line along College Ave?
Not very often, and it seems mostly to occur late at night. At least through the segment that runs under Five Points.

I have a funny personal story about that line:

I used to live in this loft Downtown on Marietta Street. Let me rephrase that, I used to live in this absolutely KILLER bachelor pad loft Downtown on Marietta Street.

When I went to look at it prior signing the lease during the day, the neighborhood seemed fairly quiet/outside the tourist zone. Not a lot of traffic, but sort of in an industrial area, and a weird inexplicable bridge over Jones Avenue right next to it that I never really took seconds to think about or travel over.

If I had I would have seen the several freight train lines that ran directly underneath my loft. Unfortunately, my "discovery" came during my first night sleeping there after I moved in when I was jostled awake at 3am by what I thought was an earthquake.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:16 PM

3,707 posts, read 5,982,315 times
Probably 10-20 trains per day. Of note, CSX's Hulsey Yard is along the corridor (in Cabbagetown). This is one of the four major entry points for intermodal traffic into the metro area. It handles somewhere between 150,000-200,000 containers per year (each and every one of them ultimately going down Boulevard by truck and onto I-20). So that's 2-4 trains per day serving just that terminal, if you crunch the numbers.

It's not one of CSX's most important lines, but it's of medium importance.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:02 AM

10-20 a day!

Thats the section that goes through Decatur too? Do they run all night?

We looked at a great house that is close to the tracks and I am a bit concerned about the noise... especially with a baby in the house.

Does anyone know if there are plans to phase out the line? (e.g. beltline taking over the r-o-w)

Last edited by cwlawrence; 04-22-2011 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: ETA: asking another question

Old 04-22-2011, 06:18 AM

461 posts, read 1,068,592 times
Quote:
10-20 a day!

We looked at a great house that is close to the tracks and I am a bit concerned about the noise... especially with a baby in the house.

Does anyone know if there are plans to phase out the line? (e.g. beltline taking over the r-o-w)
We live near the tracks in Decatur, We don't notice it anymore, but when I ask my SO how many times a day, he said 2 or 3 he thought. I had the same thought. Really no idea since we don't pay attention anymore unless we're actually trying to cross the tracks and a train is a comin, which doesn't seem very frequently.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:45 AM

I know for certain that one runs by around 5 every day... which is fine, I kinda like the sound of the train. Not sure if I could handle 10 times a day and all through the night...

Do they run on the weekends too?

Old 04-22-2011, 07:34 AM

3,707 posts, read 5,982,315 times
Quote:
10-20 a day!

It could be a bit less than 10, I am just guessing based on the freight I know the corridor handles and the amount I see trains along there. I would think the bit between downtown and Cabbagetown is the busiest. 10 trains is only a train every 2.5 hours or so--a "busy" corridor would have 40-60 trains per day. Some have upwards 200!

Note that when I say train, I mean any movement of freight along the mainline. I might just be a local delivery train with half a dozen cars full of scrap steel.

Also, I doubt the line would ever be phased out. That's the reason the MARTA tracks are suspended in the air for much of the corridor. With gas prices going up, freight rail becomes ever more economical, which means the market value of existing ROW surges.

Which is kind of bad for public transit projects: people want public transit the most right when gas prices are at their highest; but high gas prices also means railroads are flush with cash and investing in infrastructure, and it's very difficult to get them to sell their ROW under these conditions.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,059 times
Here is a map with all the train lines and estimated daily use from the GDOT

http://www.dot.state.ga.us/maps/Docu...ns_Per_Day.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: