Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 09:56 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Sorry, but the record high for Atlanta was 105 back in 1980. Record high temperatures are very extreme and unusual, so I'm not sure why we would need preparations for "arizona style" temperatures.

It can be pretty uncomfortable wearing a suit outside in July, but plenty of people wear them. I'm glad it's not me.
Yea, but with the humidity here, a temp of 95 could easily have a heat index of over 100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 10:50 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Yea, but with the humidity here, a temp of 95 could easily have a heat index of over 100.

True...but I was responding to a comment about the actual temperature reaching 110 last year, which was not true.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:46 AM

12 posts, read 33,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
OK, sorry, but Amy Carter is the one person you know who lives in Atlanta? Really? LOL.
She was the only person I addressed by name. Would you rather I have said, "business people, a former president's daughter, and a number of athletes" instead? And do you often browse forums to make jokes instead of actually helping address legitimate issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I've lived through Washington DC and Miami summers as well. There is no comparison.
Is it really hotter in DC than in Atlanta? I only ask because you'd think the farther down South you go, the hotter it gets.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:50 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I dont know View Post
She was the only person I addressed by name. Would you rather I have said, "business people, a former president's daughter, and a number of athletes" instead? And do you often browse forums to make jokes instead of actually helping address legitimate issues?

Is it really hotter in DC than in Atlanta? I only ask because you'd think the farther down South you go, the hotter it gets.
D.C. is built on reclaimed swampland. The summers there can be absolutely brutal with higher humidity.

You need to remember that Atlanta is at about 1,000 feet above sea level, in the foothills of the Appalachians.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:08 PM

132 posts, read 267,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I dont know View Post

Dewpoints above 70 are considered uncomfortable. During July, the hottest month in both cities, Atlanta averages 88/70 with a dewpoint of 68. DC averages 88/70 with a dewpoint of 66. As mentioned above, Atlanta's much higher elevation provides a more moderate climate than would otherwise be found this far south. For example, DC's record high temp for EVERY month of the year is higher than ATL's. Also the northern suburbs are significantly cooler and dryer than DC during June, July and August

Old 04-23-2011, 05:53 PM

187 posts, read 403,836 times
The only time its bad is during July and August. Youll sweat, but its not like youll have to drip dry once you get inside. You definitely wont be looking like Matthew McCaughney from A Time to Kill. (if you havent seen it, he plays a lawyer from Mississippi with no AC in his house, office, or courthouse, so hes disturbingly sweaty the whole movie).

Three tips:

1.) I have found that the more you worry about sweating, the more you will sweat. If you just accept the fact that youre going to sweat, youll be fine. I know some people who get very frustrated because they just showered, but that makes them sweat even more!

2.) Dont wear blue shirts during those months. No body likes those raging pit stains!

3.) Invest in searsucker and linen suits. You can definitely get away with wearing them!

Old 04-24-2011, 07:14 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
True...but I was responding to a comment about the actual temperature reaching 110 last year, which was not true.
We actually had a summer a few years ago when the temp never broke 90.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:14 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
I wear a coat and tie most every day. It ain't that bad even in the middle of the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta