Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 07:09 PM

39 posts, read 47,661 times

Advertisements

I'll be new to the area in a few months and came across this thread. Are most of the courses Private? Are there any public courses around? Are they decent or will I need to join a club to get decent golf?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzman View Post
Hey Everyone!

I appreciate your responses!!

I do have some data now on memberships.

White Columns: The are running a "special" right now; the initiation fee is $12500 and the monthly is, oddly, $551. It is $395 IF you can find a sponsor. The discounted rate is good for the next 5 years. There doesn't appear to be any additional fees for cart or range and no food and beverage minimums.

Alpharetta Athletic Club: They too are running a special and will waive the initiation fee if you commit to 24 months. The monthly is $386. There is a $20 cart fee per 18. Range is included in the monthly and there are no food and beverage minimums.

Windermere: Is part of the Cannongate system. If you make Windermere your home course then you can also play the Olde Atlanta Course as well. Right now, they are waiving the initiation fee. The monthly is $235. There is a mandatory range fee which is $180 per year, a $10 per month food and beverage fee and a $16 cart fee.

Polo: Right now, their initiation fee is $2500 and their monthly is $395. There is no additional fees for cart, range or food and beverage mins.

Golf Club of Georgia: Their fiscal year kicks off 6/1 and all of their packages are going to change at that time. Until then their initiation fee is $42,500 but you only have to pay $2500 down and then the rest is due on a 5 year note - details were a bit sketchy and I didn't press it. You can also just pay $25,000 down and be done with it. But as I said, these are changing. I believe, the $42,500 is changing to $36,000 but they want $6000 down and then $6000 every year for the next 5 years. I think the one time $25,000 is still also in play. Their monthly is $590 but that is individual. If you want to add a family member then there is no initiation for the family member but there is a $25 per month per member fee. Cart is $22 and there is a $2500 per year min that must be used across several categories, food and beverage being one.

I also got some data on Atlanta National, their initiation fee is $12,500 but I didn't get the monthly.

I am still waiting to hear from Laurel Springs.

Here is my big question: I am not going to be able to play any of these courses and so will be needing to make somewhat of a blind pick. What I am still looking for more feedback on is what courses are better? I am hoping there is someone out there who has play these courses and can say I like x over y and so on.

Thanks again everyone for your help!!
1. white columns - reasonably nice fazio track. went private a few yrs back but has struggled to keep numbers up. more family oriented, nice subdivision (not as huge as windemere) but can be tough traffic wise depending on where work is.

2. alpharetta athletic club - marginal course, crowded. borderline public. ugh.

3. windemere - in a big subdivision. marginal course, lots of family activities. olde atlanta is a better course. most members live there.

4. Polo - short, flat and easy. family-driven in a subdivision. tough spot traffic wise unless you live there. same company owns white columns and atlanta national.most members live there.

5. GC of Georgia - 2 great courses, great condition. a pure golf club.
6. atlanta national - pete dye design so if you can stand it. good condition. also can be tough traffic wise.

7. laurel springs is roughly equivalent to alpharetta athletic club and windemere. most members live there.

depending on what you're looking for you could also check out the manor, Standard Club or woodmont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta